Just off Equinox

brooker

Hello

My family and I were on the same cruise and this was the first time on this class of ship. It looked to be in good and was always being cleaned. We had a great cabin steward, Jason who took care of us with any requests we had, we were in cabin 7136. The crew was always friendly and I try to talk to some of them and get to know a little about their life on board.

Had a chance to talk to Captain Kate who is learning the ship before she takes over in mid April. She is very nice and remembered our names when we meet her again a few days later.

A change that should be made is in the teen program, my daughter is 14 and for her there was not a lot to do.

We eat in the main dinning room and Oceanview Café, the food was good and we liked what was offered. Everyone will have their own thoughts, so no need to expand on this.

Did you think there was a lot of upselling for the drink and dinning packages. I have seen comments on other threads saying people were complaining about this. We did buy a drink pkg for my daughter from Jimmy and got a 25% discount. Any time we saw him he always had a smile and would joke with us. Did you have a chance to meet OZ from the activities staff, meet him a very years ago on the Summit, very nice guy.

I see a big push at the SPA and there was always people trying to get people to buy something. I think it might have been a slow week and they needed to make their sale numbers.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise and are thinking about next year on where to go and what line to go on.

On embarkation day is the pool area crowded? Traveling with two 18 year olds that will probably want to board the ship and lounge in the sun!

Embarkation day was okay ....the first sea day was the worse I ever seen for chair hogs. I'm not kidding when I say at 8:30 a.m. EVERY chair had been saved - this includes the top deck AND the deck two floors above the pool. Never seen anything like it! Two arguments broke out on the top deck over saved chairs and missing items later found in the bin. I kick myself for not taking a picture....it was insane!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello

My family and I were on the same cruise and this was the first time on this class of ship. It looked to be in good and was always being cleaned. We had a great cabin steward, Jason who took care of us with any requests we had, we were in cabin 7136. The crew was always friendly and I try to talk to some of them and get to know a little about their life on board.

Had a chance to talk to Captain Kate who is learning the ship before she takes over in mid April. She is very nice and remembered our names when we meet her again a few days later.

A change that should be made is in the teen program, my daughter is 14 and for her there was not a lot to do.

We eat in the main dinning room and Oceanview Café, the food was good and we liked what was offered. Everyone will have their own thoughts, so no need to expand on this.

Did you think there was a lot of upselling for the drink and dinning packages. I have seen comments on other threads saying people were complaining about this. We did buy a drink pkg for my daughter from Jimmy and got a 25% discount. Any time we saw him he always had a smile and would joke with us. Did you have a chance to meet OZ from the activities staff, meet him a very years ago on the Summit, very nice guy.

I see a big push at the SPA and there was always people trying to get people to buy something. I think it might have been a slow week and they needed to make their sale numbers.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise and are thinking about next year on where to go and what line to go on.

Celebrity ships do not have the attractions for teens that Royal Carib ships have or other lines. When we started sailing Celeb, they were intended for adult cruisers. Others that want a quieter atmosphere started to bring their children but Celeb has not changed their ships to provide the kind of activities that exist on other lines.

Embarkation day was okay ....the first sea day was the worse I ever seen for chair hogs. I'm not kidding when I say at 8:30 a.m. EVERY chair had been saved - this includes the top deck AND the deck two floors above the pool. Never seen anything like it! Two arguments broke out on the top deck over saved chairs and missing items later found in the bin. I kick myself for not taking a picture....it was insane!!!!!!!!!!!

We second this. At 9 EVERY chair taken. We stumbled on 2 loungers on the Solstice deck which only had folded towels and took them. We were lucky. For hours there were people walking around looking for a place to sit. Part of the problem were choogs but also there just were not enough seats even though there was enough deck space.

Overall it was a great cruise. The Equinox is extremely well managed with very friendly, non stressed employees.

Was this the Key West-Costa Maya-Cozumel-Grand Cayman itinerary? My husband and I will be on the 12/15 sailing and can't wait! It's his first cruise and my second (first one was 16 years ago so basically I'm a newbie as well). How was embarkation? We're still debating what time we should get to MIA airport the day of sailing. What'd you do in Key West?

Embarkation was simple. We were on the ship by 11:15 Cabins were ready by 1:00. First sea day was a complete disappointment with regard to locating available loungers. I did not see pool butlers trying to help out. We were not "hounded" by staff to purchase or upgrade our liquor packages. I did get approached a few times to take advantage of the spa, but I didn't purchase anything. We don't have children so I can't comment on activities for children. We did not meet OZ.

We were also on this cruise, and found embarkation, and strangely enough, disembarkation, to be incredibly smooth. We arrived at the port around 10:45, and were enjoying our welcome aboard "champagne" by 11:15. We had planned a pickup for 9:30 on disembarkation, but the line was moving smooth at 8:00 and we moved our pickup up, and were on our way to Fort Lauderdale by 8:30. In fact, we were on the beach by 9:30...

I do agree the first sea day was ridiculous for chairs! This was our second Celebrity cruise, and I just don't remember it being that bad on the last one!

In Key West we did the trolley tour which was interesting and it was not to long. in Cozumel my daughter and I did the Amazing Race which was fun and a challenge. There were only four teams and I think it may have been because of the price, $99.00 for each person. If it was $69-$79 I think more would have signed up.

In Grand Cayman we did the bus that goes on land and the sea, I forgot what it was called. First it went around town for a short tour then into the water. We passed over two ship wrecks and the guide pointed out interesting sights. We then went to the 7 mile beach which was a waste of time. In Costa Maya we just walked around the port and then went back on the ship.

We got to MIA around 12:00 and embarkation went fast since we are CC members and were directed to an agent with no line. We were having lunch my 12:30 and the cabin was ready by 1:30 or so. We were in 7136 which was good for the 3 of us, 4 would have been tight. As an fyi there are not many draws to put things away, I used the overhead storage over the beds and this help.

On sea days if you want a chair you have to move fast or there will be nothing left. If you wait until after one some will open up and more will be empty by 2-3. If you want to sun all day get one early.

We also just got off the boat. We really enjoy the boat. Milah at the GastroPub was great. The Rock/Country Duo wasnt too bad. I did not like the first comedian... but the second one was pretty good.

As for the ports:

Key West - Great as always

Costa Maya - We would not go back

Cozumel - We did the Jeep Excursion. The snorkeling was great. The rest of the drive was blah.

Grand Cayman - We did the Stingrays and Rum Point. No complaints.

Food -

We had Breakfast at Blu once and it was alright, but slow.

Buffet was about what you would expect all week.

MDR was really good. Calet and Ariya were a great team. Angelia was always on top of our drinks in the MDR and also at the Coffee Bar

MDR portions seemed smaller then in the past. Not a bad thing, just means you needed to order multiple things to try.

Richard Spacey - Enjoy him as a Cruise director for the second time.

All in all, i would give the cruise a solid 9 out of 10. Really need to book another cruise... Soon

MDR portions seemed smaller then in the past. Not a bad thing, just means you needed to order multiple things to try.

Interesting ! Did they allow you to do this without issue ?

I always make bad choices in restaurants ! It’s a cliché but my husbands dish always looks better! Lol!

Interesting ! Did they allow you to do this without issue ?

I always make bad choices in restaurants ! It’s a cliché but my husbands dish always looks better! Lol!

LOL, my Wife is the same way. Yes, we have never had a problem ordering multiple dishes. We usually each get two apps and an entry or two depending on what we like...

We also just got off the boat. We really enjoy the boat. Milah at the GastroPub was great. The Rock/Country Duo wasnt too bad. I did not like the first comedian... but the second one was pretty good.

As for the ports:

Key West - Great as always

Costa Maya - We would not go back

Cozumel - We did the Jeep Excursion. The snorkeling was great. The rest of the drive was blah.

Grand Cayman - We did the Stingrays and Rum Point. No complaints.

Food -

Buffet was about what you would expect all week.

MDR was really good. Calet and Ariya were a great team. Angelia was always on top of our drinks in the MDR and also at the Coffee Bar

Richard Spacey - Enjoy him as a Cruise director for the second time.

All in all, i would give the cruise a solid 9 out of 10. Really need to book another cruise... Soon

We did the Jeep excursion in Cozumel 2 weeks ago...they were 'wrecks'...literally. In fact they were unsafe in so many respects. Did you find them okay? And the snorkeling was off a rocky beach...several with their own gear didn't even go in the water. I'm wondering what changed? There were more than a few who complained about this tour...perhaps they changed to another supplier?

We did the Jeep excursion in Cozumel 2 weeks ago...they were 'wrecks'...literally. In fact they were unsafe in so many respects. Did you find them okay? And the snorkeling was off a rocky beach...several with their own gear didn't even go in the water. I'm wondering what changed? There were more than a few who complained about this tour...perhaps they changed to another supplier?

The Jeeps were beat up but i didnt think they were unsafe. The snorkeling had us at Playa Uvas... (I think). They had a small ramp that got you out over the rocky beach after that its was great.... lots of fish and rays

Was this the Key West-Costa Maya-Cozumel-Grand Cayman itinerary? My husband and I will be on the 12/15 sailing and can't wait! It's his first cruise and my second (first one was 16 years ago so basically I'm a newbie as well). How was embarkation? We're still debating what time we should get to MIA airport the day of sailing. What'd you do in Key West?

Yes, it was this itinerary. We have been to Key West many times and love it there. We just walked around town and then watched March Madness in one of our favorite watering holes.

Would you be able to tell me the names of the big production shows?

Found them here on Cruise Critic: Elysium, Topper, and Life. We liked Life, didn’t last at all for Elysium, and skipped Topper. YMMV. The cast was very talented, but the material didn’t do much for us.

Totally forgot "Hard Days Night", a Beatles tribute band. They were amazing! It was kind of sad looking at the stage (3 of the 4 really looked like the Beatles from a distance; the George Harrison was a little "beefy") and thinking, shot on his doorstep, died of cancer... I still have a hard time believing Sir Richard Starkey is one of the two survivors...

(The reverse of that was a Raymond Weil watch sponsored "musical tribute" the next night highlighting watches honoring/inspired by musicians. For the "Beatles" watch, they played "Imagine"... If you don't get that irony, you're either too young, or don't know the catalog of the Beatles as a band and their individual members as solo artists.)

Stosto52 wrote:

Food -

Stosto52, Just curious, if you had breakfast in Blu you must have been in Aqua class so why would you have eaten in the MDR when your assigned dining was Blu for dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Stosto52 wrote:

Food -

Stosto52, Just curious, if you had breakfast in Blu you must have been in Aqua class so why would you have eaten in the MDR when your assigned dining was Blu for dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had friends in "regular" class. Our plan was to have Blu once or twice, but we where having such a great time in the MDR that we didnt really see the need to go to Blu.