Benefits and Disadvantages of prepaying gratuities?

Nixieh

I have been on a lot of cruises - the one in July will be first on Princess - so my question is just not for Princess but tipping in general. I dont prepay but HAVE NEVER disputed the suggested gratuity - I have tipped extra to my pool boy and room steward - because that's who I saw on a daily basis. My awesome pool waiter on Holland - I saw him again and actually brought him a Christmas gift. In my much younger years - I worked as a waitress and thus I believe in tipping and rather heavy at times - depending on service. Now my question that will get some angry - my last cruise (15 days) we went to DR 1 time - why should the DR waiter get same portion of tip if he didn't wait on us ? I leave extra cash tips for pool side waiter, steward and the lady at the coffee house - and am of the opinion that I am on vacation - so lets blow some money - but if I am not using a service I am tipping for - what should I do - if the answer is suck it up cupcake - I am ok with that

I generally do not pre-pay. Our most recent cruise we had a good amount of OBC, but the Princess web site would not let me use that to pre-pay grats.

Once we got onboard, on day 3 of 14, I went to the front desk and asked for all my gratuities to be paid right now, in one lump sum. They gladly complied with my request. I do that to keep my statement simpler to read and to avoid the daily gratuity charges. This allows me to see what our remaining OBC balance is much more clearly as I don't have to keep track of what part of our daily balance is allocated to a declining gratuity "obligation". In other words, get the expected stuff off the balance as quick is possible to see how much "fun" money you have left to do discretionary things with.

I like your idea...as on longer cruises it is a pain to look at those grats everyday......

my last cruise (15 days) we went to DR 1 time - why should the DR waiter get same portion of tip if he didn't wait on us ?

At times other than dinner, the dining room waiter is probably assigned to work in the buffet, so he/she has probably served you directly or indirectly (such as cleaning your table when you finish) there.

We prepay. However, at the end, we wanted to give a little bit more, since our guy greeted us so often with our names each and every time. The morning of departure, we were out early to grab breakfast before the rush in the dining room and could not find our steward. We made sure to go back and find him, in another room where we could properly thank him. He probably thought he would never see us again, but we wanted to be packed up and let him get his work going. The look on his face was priceless and he seemed so happy to see us, and that was before we even hinted at giving him any other payment. I would have loved to be able to tip our dinner guys, but we were anytime seating and next time we will try traditional to have that chance.

The reason we like to prepay, was just to have one more expense taken care of before hand, so our end bill does not shock us any more than it can. haha