Can you bring food from the ports back onto the ship?

LongHill44

From Carnival's list of prohibited items:

• Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

Good question! Food I have purchased in port has never made it that far.

When we went through customs last month, the man asked did you buy anything in a foreign country and I said, nothing that did not go into my belly.

good question! Food i have purchased in port has never made it that far.

When we went through customs last month, the man asked did you buy anything in a foreign country and i said, nothing that did not go into my belly.

hahahahahahahah :'):'):'):'):'):')

On one of our cruises, the ship stopped in Key West. When we were in line to get back on the ship, the women in front of us had those white styrofoam containers in a plastic bag and Security told them that they could not bring the pre-cooked food onboard. They were very upset and sat down on the dock blocking everyone from the gangway and opened their containers and were stuffing the food into their mouths between cursing and yelling. Security had them move away from the gangway so other passengers could board.

From Carnival's list of prohibited items:

• Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

I believe this is for first day when they scan your bags to get to registration to board the ship. I get caught bringing my left over cooked sticky rice from my flight and they took it away after that anything I brought back from ports was ok!!

I believe this is for first day when they scan your bags to get to registration to board the ship. I get caught bringing my left over cooked sticky rice from my flight and they took it away after that anything I brought back from ports was ok!!

It is actually for every port, but security tends to be more lax at ports of call. It is a USPH requirement that all food brought on the ship be from a "verifiable source", meaning that the source is licensed by at least the local government to process food, and those standards meet at least the WHO requirements for sanitation. Your container of cooked or raw food cannot be verified as to its source, so it is not allowed. Carnival's warning covers them with the USPH by telling passengers not to bring non-factory sealed items onboard, but whether the ship wants to flaunt that and possibly be reported to the USPH for doing so, or possibly bringing an infectious disease onboard (like salmonella or e. coli) and living with the repercussions is a different story.

Only issue we’ve had was Security asking where theirs was.

In one port the Indonesian crew and the Filipino crew rent out separate restaurant kitchens and bring back lots of food for their friends. It’s an amazing thing to watch. In less than two hours they’re bringing back gallons of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no idea why someone would prefer leftovers in the cabin to the MDR food, but to each their own.

The preference for fresh cuisine made by local chefs vs the mass produced offerings on the ship puzzles you? Really?

Anyway, I do it all the time OP and have never had an issue.