Sales and deposit question

nil6000

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska for sept 19. Do they run many sales or lower deposit specials? I have never cruised with HAL before (20 with other lines) so I am not familiar with how often they run sales.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sales are run on an almost continuous basis. They are on for a month or two, off for a few weeks, and then a new one is on. Some have reduced deposits, some do not.

Please keep in mind that a sale is sometimes not a real sale. HAL will offer a sale with several "perks", like free service charge, onboard credit, etc. but the prices are often higher than before. The best thing you can do is to track the cruises you are considering and write down the current price for the cabin you want. Then watch prices over time. If possible, look at similar sailings for the cruise you have in mind, at different times of the year. Remember that you have to adjust the price to reflect the "perks" you are given,

One more thing - your TA can give you a price without the current promotion, but you have to ask for it.

Please keep in mind that a sale is sometimes not a real sale. HAL will offer a sale with several "perks", like free service charge, onboard credit, etc. but the prices are often higher than before.

This is exactly what happened with our upcoming cruise. The price with the Explore 4 promotion (gratuities, beverage plan, Pinnacle dinner) was way higher ... what those things would have cost anyway. No real deal at all.

Conversely, the E4 promo on our cruise before was priced higher roughly the amount of gratuities. Since we pay those anyway, we took the promo and got the beverage plan and Pinnacle. That one was a reasonable deal.

Just crunch the numbers before you commit.

As you may know, the Ready Set Sail promo is happening now. It is a little different each time. Right now they are offering: 50% reduced deposits and prepaid gratuities... and OBC for suites, amount depends on cruise duration. This sale is used for bookings made until mid-June. Later in the summer they will most likely run "Explore 4". Again depending on the year it has offered different things, if you google it you will see the various sales.

They also have "top 10" sailing sales on their website that are usually directly through HAL and come sometimes with low NONREFUNDABLE deposits, often though for sailings that are soon.

They do adjust their cruise price for some (not all) during a sale to basically make it actually the same or a higher price overall. You have to do the math and rebook if you find the value isn't there.

I booked through a promo last year and it was a great deal of savings in the long run. After the promo was over the price of the fare did decrease, but I still saved hundreds... because the perks were things I would have spent -- internet, obc, etc. I personally wouldn't book e4 because I don't drink so the beverage package is worthless to me even though it's a pricy perk.

Good luck, there are good deals to be had. Some get discouraged because the "sale" isn't a value to them, but the promos can be worth it, you just have to assess your needs and keep on eye on the prices and refare if possible.

When I booked last year they were running the Explore 4 promo that came with the 15 drink beverage package, 2 Pinnacle Grill Dinners and a reduced deposit. I rebooked without this and saved $400 on my trip. The only catch, my deposit now became non refundable at this point. Not to worry, I have travel insurance through my credit card,

I believe that the current Promo ends at the end of next August, so would not cover that sailing???

Unless those very last Alaska cruises of the season are an exception?

We are also looking at NEXT September.

Based on last years sale.

Would the Explore 4 that comes out this Summer cover sailings thru next September???