Anyone bought stock & immediately submitted for onboard credit?

victory2020

Wow, great response and ideas, thanks much! I'll keep those between us or my family's efforts to spend our trivial OBC will end up costing me more than the cruse! :)
For me I have only been in the Haven so it gives me the free internet as part of it. The $100 credit is enough for me to upgrade to the top unlimited wifi package so that turns out to be free

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Cruise Next is a great idea, didn't realize that would work, thank you! Although I suppose even that just generates more OBC...

NO it absolutely does not. Your cost is always more than any credit.

This is how I use the stockholder benefit.

You can buy 1 for $50 as example (with $100 stockholder OBC)

Heh, the OBC was one of the primary reasons I bought NCLH shares. We mostly invest in mutuals and ETFs. We do invest a bit of money in shares of companies we have personal connections with. Their financials seem decent, but I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy in. We haven't cruised in a while but booked an October cruise on the Epic and then ended up booking a New England/Canada cruise in June on the Gem.

I learned of the NCL shareholder benefit on CC, and decided to put some money down. To claim it, you're making a minimum investment of a bit over $5000 at today's prices. If you do a single one-week cruise a year, this gets you a $100 return on top of any stock price appreciation. That's around 2% of your original investment. While NCLH doesn't pay a dividend, you could look at this OBC as equivalent to a 3% normal dividend after taxes. Since we're taking two NCL cruises in 2018, it's more like 6% for us.

Also note that the benefit can also be claimed on cruises from NCLH-owned lines Oceania and RSSC. When planning our summer vacation, we had been looking at options from both lines before booking a 2BR suite on the Gem with our college-age kids.

Claiming the benefit is pretty easy. I just printed out a brokerage statement, covered up non-NCLH portions, scanned it, and sent separate emails to NCL. For the Epic, I got a reply in 2 days confirming the credit. The Gem one didn't post immediately, and I'm thinking they might have treated my two emails as duplicates. I shot them another email and got the credit the next day. I had plenty of time and waited until the NCLH posted on my next statement. The OP might not have time for that; I'd just send in a trade confirmation and hope for the best.

This is a really good summation. It works best if you plan on using it often. 100 shares for OBC is not a pure investment decision. It is a low cost way of getting a particularly tangible return on an approximately 5K outlay. Go twice in a year and it's not a bad return. Go once, it's ok. Go more than twice a year, it's real good. Don't go, it makes little sense unless you really want to own the stock.

Heh, the OBC was one of the primary reasons I bought NCLH shares. We mostly invest in mutuals and ETFs. We do invest a bit of money in shares of companies we have personal connections with. Their financials seem decent, but I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy in. We haven't cruised in a while but booked an October cruise on the Epic and then ended up booking a New England/Canada cruise in June on the Gem.

I learned of the NCL shareholder benefit on CC, and decided to put some money down. To claim it, you're making a minimum investment of a bit over $5000 at today's prices. If you do a single one-week cruise a year, this gets you a $100 return on top of any stock price appreciation. That's around 2% of your original investment. While NCLH doesn't pay a dividend, you could look at this OBC as equivalent to a 3% normal dividend after taxes. Since we're taking two NCL cruises in 2018, it's more like 6% for us.

Also note that the benefit can also be claimed on cruises from NCLH-owned lines Oceania and RSSC. When planning our summer vacation, we had been looking at options from both lines before booking a 2BR suite on the Gem with our college-age kids.

Claiming the benefit is pretty easy. I just printed out a brokerage statement, covered up non-NCLH portions, scanned it, and sent separate emails to NCL. For the Epic, I got a reply in 2 days confirming the credit. The Gem one didn't post immediately, and I'm thinking they might have treated my two emails as duplicates. I shot them another email and got the credit the next day. I had plenty of time and waited until the NCLH posted on my next statement. The OP might not have time for that; I'd just send in a trade confirmation and hope for the best.

I think our story is pretty similar. As I said we had a few extra Thousands from an inheritance. We loved NCL, wanted something fun and then found out about the OBC. It has been a good investment. This is our fun investment, the others are boring like American funds,etc.

If you have a diversified portfolio already, and want to add NCLH to get the OBC and follow the company, do it. I think the ownership of the stock is on the settlement date, so you're probably too late if you only have two days before the 15 day deadline to show you OWN the stock. NCL may not care and take the receipt as proof of the purchase, but they could also refuse if the trade hasn't settled by the 15 day limit.

Stock Question I'm inheriting United National Bank stock about 20k can I buy the NCL stock with these funds.

btw I know nothing about stocks lol

so any help would be greatly appreciated

You can sell those shares and buy a different company's shares in an account at a brokerage firm. I prefer the discount brokers like Fidelity, Charles Schwab or Vanguard. Fidelity and Schwab often have retail locations where you can talk to an advisor. They can help you set up an account and sell the stock held with another broker and buy the stock in your account.

No big tax problem if you are inheriting the stock and selling it. Not sure selling it to buy a single stock (any single stock) is wise if you don't have other investments to help offset the extreme risk having only one individual stock poses. But, you might start with 100 shares of NCLH for fun, and start investing the rest in low cost index funds if you don't think you'll need to use the money for the next 5 to 10 years.