Anthem of the Seas man overboard

For all the frightened parents reading this, the key work is "jumped." The ships are all built with safety in mind. It is virtually impossible to go overboard accidentally on any modern cruise ship. Your children are safe on board.

I hope for the best for this individual and his family.

was reading this on the RCI thread...very sad..

However, I do believe one can fall overboard.....just as one can fall off a balcony at a hotel...the intend isn't to fall but it certainly can happen and be classified as an accident.....an example last week I was tying a "wind sock " from my balcony ceiling...I was standing on a chair...I could have fallen overboard, because like a fool I was standing on that chair....just sayin...

Unless you are swept over by waves like just happened on P&O off the Australian coast.

Uhh... No.

A tragedy in rough weather, but missing the 50' (15m) seas needed to sweep the promenade.

was reading this on the RCI thread...very sad..

However, I do believe one can fall overboard.....just as one can fall off a balcony at a hotel...the intend isn't to fall but it certainly can happen and be classified as an accident.....an example last week I was tying a "wind sock " from my balcony ceiling...I was standing on a chair...I could have fallen overboard, because like a fool I was standing on that chair....just sayin...

Yes, just as a child could hypothetically fall off a Disney balcony. But to do it, the child would have to open two locks, one of which is at approximately my shoulder height...then move a chair over to the railing and place a table on the chair, climb on the stack, and "fall" over a balcony railing that is mid-chest height on me, all without a parent seeing and stopping any of this. Sorry, I see lots of questions on the DCL boards about kids falling over--hasn't happened ever. There was a 16 year old who jumped while the ship was in port and was "caught" doing it when he tried to reboard.

A lot more adults/teens go overboard than little kids, and some cruise lines do seem more prone to this than others.

Unless you are swept over by waves like just happened on P&O off the Australian coast. Lady was seasick and I guess tried to feed the fish.

another account by a passenger witness said that was not the case at all as did one of the P& O officials. Highly unlikely

Yes' date=' just as a child could hypothetically fall off a Disney balcony. But to do it, the child would have to open two locks, one of which is at approximately my shoulder height...then move a chair over to the railing and place a table on the chair, climb on the stack, and "fall" over a balcony railing that is mid-chest height on me, all without a parent seeing and stopping any of this. Sorry, I see lots of questions on the DCL boards about kids falling over--hasn't happened ever. There was a 16 year old who jumped while the ship was in port and was "caught" doing it when he tried to reboard.

A lot more adults/teens go overboard than little kids, and some cruise lines do seem more prone to this than others.[/quote']

Absolutely.....however your paragraph of the "impossible" reminds me of one of my life experiences.

We live in Orange County, CA......and about 5 years ago......a toddler about 20 months, being watched by his Aunt, let himself out of the front door of her house 1/4 mile away from my home..this was at 4pm in the afternoon....this child of less than 3 ft..... crossed 3 streets, no one noticed.... walked into our opened garaged..went to the "locked" side garage door opened it and walked the length of our home, which included 2 of my children's rooms that have huge windows both rooms were occupied and continued to our gated pool area....I heard a quiet splash and wondered which one of my kids was diving in the pool, it was May and the pool was not heated....so I looked through my bedroom's sliding glass door and saw "something" struggling below the surface of our pool.....at this point the child had been missing for 40 minutes................still wonder how this little guy opened our locks and ended up in our pool....but to hear the splash truly was a miracle...after recovering him ..I carried him to our front yard ....no one was insight........things happen all the time, we often don't hear about them......

Hoping that this jumper on Anthem will be found.....such a heart break for everyone involved....

Edited by land lover

Unless you are swept over by waves like just happened on P&O off the Australian coast. Lady was seasick and I guess tried to feed the fish.

The suggestion of a freak wave was quickly dismissed. Latest indications are that the lady (sadly) jumped. Her husband tried to stop her, but couldn't.

I was on the ship. We heard the code alpha being called and the captain gave three announcements - one saying a man had jumped overboard and we were turning around, one saying that he'd jumped off the 15th deck and had been identified and family contacted, and one saying that we were going to be heading back on course to Bayonne as our presence was no longer needed. From what I saw from my stateroom, almost everyone was out on their balconies. The Norwegian Gem also turned around and we circled for around three hours. We saw a lifesaver that had presumably been thrown overboard, as well as two Coast Guard helicopters and a Coast Guard plane. There were witnesses that saw him deliberately jump, and the captain used the words "chose to jump" when giving an announcement. So, so sad.

Edited by welcometheextraordinary

We were on the ship, and actually on deck 15 when he jumped. We did not see it but the area was packed full of people who did. The weather was exceptional and there was not a chair to be found anywhere. Interested to see what info comes out, it would have taken a significant effort to jump from where he was.

Wow! Thank God you heard the splash!

Absolutely.....however your paragraph of the "impossible" reminds me of one of my life experiences.

We live in Orange County, CA......and about 5 years ago......a toddler about 20 months, being watched by his Aunt, let himself out of the front door of her house 1/4 mile away from my home..this was at 4pm in the afternoon....this child of less than 3 ft..... crossed 3 streets, no one noticed.... walked into our opened garaged..went to the "locked" side garage door opened it and walked the length of our home, which included 2 of my children's rooms that have huge windows both rooms were occupied and continued to our gated pool area....I heard a quiet splash and wondered which one of my kids was diving in the pool, it was May and the pool was not heated....so I looked through my bedroom's sliding glass door and saw "something" struggling below the surface of our pool.....at this point the child had been missing for 40 minutes................still wonder how this little guy opened our locks and ended up in our pool....but to hear the splash truly was a miracle...after recovering him ..I carried him to our front yard ....no one was insight........things happen all the time, we often don't hear about them......

Hoping that this jumper on Anthem will be found.....such a heart break for everyone involved....

Very sad for this person's family and friends on board. The captain did a great job keeping us informed as well as the cruise director at the evening events. We dont know what was going through his mind or his reasons but I pray his family will have the strength to get through this tragedy.

Absolutely. You cant "fall" overboard.

I distinctly recall a cruise where a very drunk guy passed out while hanging over the rail puking. He later slipped off the rail into the ocean (this was caught on video). They never found him.