What’s the latest you would arrive to the port?

hayesktrm

I’m going on my 13th cruise with my BF...his first. I’ve tried explaining that you don’t get on the ship right before it sails, but he’s not convinced. He flies every week for work and is used to arriving just in time to catch his flight and thinks the cruise is like that. Just a way to get someplace. I said “NO!!!!” We usually arrive around noon, get lunch, walk around the ship, find our cabin, get a drink, sit by the pool and listen to music, etc.

He wants to explore Miami (which we will do the day before). I tried to compromise and say 1:30...he still wasn’t convinced. It does say if you arrive less than 2 hours before sailing you’re in charge of your luggage. I’m hoping this will make him understand. Ugh!!! Thankfully this is just a 4 day cruise, in case he doesn’t like it.

Any other things I should tell him to make him want to get there earlier?

Why pay for lunch when it's already included in your cruise fare?

And yes, later arrivals have to handle their own luggage and security has extra time to thoroughly check suitcases for contraband because they have so few people boarding at that time.

What if there's unexpected traffic or other delays, there's no later ship to catch (like flights). It means at best a plane ticket at your expense, at worst a waste of the entire cruise fare.

I would plan for no later than 2pm.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

When we leave from our local port (Baltimore), I don't mind getting there around 2pm'ish. In the past, if we had to fly in the day of the cruise, I'd plan for us to arrive no later than noon, to give a little time for the unexpected. However, 2 years ago the flight was delayed (we didn't get to the ship until 2:30pm), then last year the flights were cancelled at the last minute due to the storms (found out @ 12:45pm Friday, hit the road @ 9:45pm and pulled into the Miami port @ 11:145am Saturday), and my heart can't take it anymore. We're flying in the night before and as long as we're at the Miami port by 1-1:30 I'll be good.

Hope you guys have a great cruise!

Why pay for lunch when it's already included in your cruise fare?

I would plan for no later than 2pm.

Good point! For an anticipated 1:00 arrival, we figure to have brunch around 10-11 (driving to PC from St Augustine) and will have worked up another appetite by the time we board.

I would also not wait any later than 2pm. If for no other (paranoid) reason than Murphy's Law -- on the way to port, or in port, who knows what might slow us down.

I’m going on my 13th cruise with my BF...his first. I’ve tried explaining that you don’t get on the ship right before it sails, but he’s not convinced. He flies every week for work and is used to arriving just in time to catch his flight and thinks the cruise is like that. Just a way to get someplace. I said “NO!!!!” We usually arrive around noon, get lunch, walk around the ship, find our cabin, get a drink, sit by the pool and listen to music, etc.

He wants to explore Miami (which we will do the day before). I tried to compromise and say 1:30...he still wasn’t convinced. It does say if you arrive less than 2 hours before sailing you’re in charge of your luggage. I’m hoping this will make him understand. Ugh!!! Thankfully this is just a 4 day cruise, in case he doesn’t like it.

For a 4pm sailing you need to be onboard by 2:30 (I believe). Once that cut off time arrives you will not be allowed to board.

It would be a shame to stand on the dock and watch your ship sail away because he was stubborn.

You paid for all the amenities on boarding day, why not take advantage of it??

Checked baggage cutoff is 2 hours prior to scheduled departure time. Boarding officially formally closes 1 hour before scheduled departure time and you will be denied after that. I'm assuming your official departure is 4p, adjust accordingly if it's not. If you each have one suitcase I might be open to 2 - 2:15p (ish) but I do think your 1:30 compromise suggestion is a good one.

Personally, I'd put my foot down on this given that you are a very experienced cruiser and he, well, has no idea about any of this. Best wishes!

When we leave from our local port (Baltimore), I don't mind getting there around 2pm'ish. In the past, if we had to fly in the day of the cruise, I'd plan for us to arrive no later than noon, to give a little time for the unexpected. However, 2 years ago the flight was delayed (we didn't get to the ship until 2:30pm), then last year the flights were cancelled at the last minute due to the storms (found out @ 12:45pm Friday, hit the road @ 9:45pm and pulled into the Miami port @ 11:145am Saturday), and my heart can't take it anymore. We're flying in the night before and as long as we're at the Miami port by 1-1:30 I'll be good.

Hope you guys have a great cruise!

Happened to us once too. We were flying outa Charlotte on the day of the cruise and the landing gear was stuck so they went back and after waiting on board to see if it could be fixed....we were asked to debark and find another way.....it was almost noon. I was freaking out on the inside. We tried to get the next flight but as you can guess, it was fast booked up...ugh! They put us on standby. And we had to run to a terminal a million miles away! Then the wonderful lady at the reservation desk announced for me on the loud speaker and when I called she said they got another plane and we would be on that one. Mind you the clock is ticking. We got situated around 1 pm and the whole time I'm thinking"wonder where my luggage ended up?" When we got to Tampa we went to the baggage claim, our bags were the first one off...we grabbed a cab and made it to the port with literally only minutes to spare. And guess what? They didn't make us carry the bags! Never again will I fly or travel the day of. I live in Florida now and I'm cruising next month...still got an overnight at cape Canaveral, only 1 1/2 hr drive lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If nothing else, your posts made me laugh and gave me more ammunition. We aren't flying in the day of the cruise so that's not an issue. I think I'll be able to convince him of 1:30 PM. The last check-in time is 1:30 until 2 so once I show him that he won't have a choice to just agree ;p.

People who have not cruised before have no idea of how things work so I'm going to tell him I'm the expert and to just trust me. He's actually very easy to travel with and he's very excited about trying a cruise...I think he just doesn't understand.

NOT ANY CRUISE LINE RULE!!! Homeland Security Restriction You must be checked in 90 minutes before scheduled departure or you will be denied boarding....Of course if ship is delayed by weather, inspection, etc. that time frame is adjusted.

I urge you if you do not believe me, please show up late....then come back here and apologize.

This would be my argument:

On a 4 day or shorter cruise, you have a finite amount of time to enjoy, explore and live the cruise life. Why waste the time that you've already paid for? Get on that ship, get that frilly drink and enjoy!

But, you know him better than any of us. Use whatever you think will work! TEXASMUNK has a very strong argument using the Homeland Security as your bargaining chip!

Either way, have a great time and I hope he loves it so you can do more and more!!

Our last cruise, in November, we arrived at the port of Miami at 3:30, boarded the Glory about 3:45, and sailed about 4:30. This was not by choice. We had a flight connection run an hour and a half late due to mechanical problems. There were still people boarding the ship behind us, quite a few actually. I was amazed, having always believed it cannot be done. We were rushing around like fools. The folks behind were as calm as they could be, like they've done it a hundred times. I'm quite sure the last stragglers boarded after 4:00.

Check your documents. Somewhere on them it will tell you when you MUST be on board or you could be denied boarding. If that should happen, there are no refunds. Your payment for that cruise includes embarkation day. Get on board when you can and enjoy checking out the ship and eating a fantastic lunch selection. Have a great cruise.

My advice is dump your BF. You've been on 13 cruises and he's been on 0. ZERO! And still he's trying to control everything which he knows nothing about. Tell him to show up at 7:00 PM. Then as you're sailing away at 4:30 enjoying the drink of the day, be thankful that you dodged that bullet and get a new start.

My advice is dump your BF. You've been on 13 cruises and he's been on 0. ZERO! And still he's trying to control everything which he knows nothing about. Tell him to show up at 7:00 PM. Then as you're sailing away at 4:30 enjoying the drink of the day, be thankful that you dodged that bullet and get a new start.

Lol, is this a joke? We've known each other for 3 years and have been dating for 1-1/2 years and are both 51 years old. I know what he's like and he's not controlling. He just didn't understand...didn't understand why it was different than flying. I spoke with him last night and we will arrive between 1 and 1:30. He is good with it...just didn't understand. Once aboard and sees everything on the ship, I'm sure he will get it. Last year we went to NYC, which can be quite crowded and stressful and we had an incredible time. He's great to travel with.

NOT ANY CRUISE LINE RULE!!! Homeland Security Restriction You must be checked in 90 minutes before scheduled departure or you will be denied boarding....Of course if ship is delayed by weather, inspection, etc. that time frame is adjusted.

I urge you if you do not believe me, please show up late....then come back here and apologize.

Was the coming back and apologizing aimed at me? I never said we were going to show up late. I just needed help explaining to him why we needed/should show up earlier. I'm sure if we missed our cruise, coming back to apologize would be the last thing I'd want to do. I'd be at the port crying.

Thank you to everyone who was so kind and wished us the best and that they were hopeful that we would have a great cruise! I appreciated all the great comments and suggestions :).

When I went on my first cruise, I thought it was all about the destination also. I can't fault him for that. One reason I thought he'd like a cruise is because we love to go to comedy shows, go see live music, go to bars and see movies. All of those things we can do on the cruise. He's very excited about going to the comedy club and the piano bar. We are also very excited about just relaxing on the Serenity deck. I think I'm more nervous because I love to cruise to much and I want him to, too. I felt the same way when I went on a girls trip cruise. I just wanted everyone to have a great time.

Above all else, we will get to be together for a week without work, kids, parents, etc. I know we will both love that!

Personally, I’m not showing up before my cabin is ready. I’m not schlepping my carryons around through the crowds, looking for a place to wait.

You make a very good point that I forgot about. For my last few cruises, we got FTTF and didn't have to carry around everything. Since we aren't getting this, I'm happy with the time we chose. Cabins should be available by 1:30 pm so we can go straight to our cabin and then enjoy!!

Always been a 10:30-11:30 arriver. Would never arrive any later than 2pm.

Our next cruise is an 8 day out of Miami and we are driving down from NC, stopping at WDW for the night before. I told DH that this time we should not rush since we have 8 days on the ship and can miss that arrival day lunch if we arrive around 1-2pm. But, no, I am certain he'll be up early and ready to go so he can be on that ship around noon.

• 1 month later...
Always been a 10:30-11:30 arriver. Would never arrive any later than 2pm.

Our next cruise is an 8 day out of Miami and we are driving down from NC, stopping at WDW for the night before. I told DH that this time we should not rush since we have 8 days on the ship and can miss that arrival day lunch if we arrive around 1-2pm. But, no, I am certain he'll be up early and ready to go so he can be on that ship around noon.

I arrived at 3:30 for a 4:30 final boarding (5:00 published sail time). There were no lines, boarding was a breeze. The room was ready. But you have to carryon all luggage which means it needs to fit in that conveyer belt scanner (18” wide by 18” tall). Since then I shoot for 1 1/2 hours before final boarding. If you think you’re going to arrive after final boarding time then call the number in your boarding pass. The ship may not wait for you, but the boarding team will be prepared for your arrival until a few minutes before the ship sails.