Carnival's Straw Policy will only cause more norovirus outbreaks

wo5m

First, I want to commend Carnival for trying to do something environmentally friendly. However, this is something they clearly didn't think through.

Let me ask you, the last time you ordered a drink from a Carnival bar do you know how many sail and sign cards the bartender handled since he last sanitized his hands? Now if just one of those passengers had a norovirus infection the every glass the bartenders touches potentially an infection point. That is how the norovirus spreads and its a big issue for cruise lines.

I know I will still be able to request a plastic straw and I will always do so, but its the other passengers I am worried about. The more infections you have the easier is in to spreed in highly confined spaces.

How many news headline have you seen over the years were a large numbers passengers getting sick.

We just has one two months ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/09/royal-caribbean-cruise-arrives-in-san-diego-after-24-people-sickened-with-gastrointestinal-virus.html

Please help me in letting Carnival know this is a very bad idea.

All of the things that you touch on that ship and you are worried about a straw that is in a paper sleeve? Give me a break.

I wonder how people go through life worried about everything. Doesn’t it just ruin your vacation? I assume it is much much higher likelihood that I catch something from my local grocery or Target shopping for something for my trip. I can’t imagine worrying about a straw

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree.

One day, all the germaphobes are going to die off because they are so busy trying to keep their body from doing its job with hand sanatizers and posts like this. When something more serious strikes, they won't be able to defend themselves because of these germ obsessions.

Agreed..and a nurse friend of mine agrees as well. Bleaching everything to death and using hand sanitizer constantly doesn't do you ANY favors, immune-system wise. My house is clean..but I only use either soap and water or a vinegar/water spray on my surfaces UNLESS I'm cleaning the bathroom. Bathrooms get bleached. And you know who almost never gets sick? My family. We get colds (like everybody else. Colds are pretty much unavoidable.) and we have seasonal allergies, but aside from that we almost NEVER get sick. You can't build up an immunity to something that you won't let anywhere near your body, yanno.

Think about what you're saying here for a minute. If Norovirus is passing from passenger A to the bartender simply through touching the Sail & Sign card, then wouldn't it pass from the bartender to your GLASS? And then from the glass to YOUR hand? How is a straw going to protect you when you claim that the virus is spreading simply through touching a surface? If that's the case, the minute you pick up the glass you're in contact with it, whether you have a straw or not..

Thats what I was thinking!!

I never said I contracted mine from a straw or card...I was infected through my food,which was prepared by someone who was sick. And never washed their hands..So please enlighten me how this can not happen. No matter how much I washed my hands ,it did absolutely no good in this sutuation..So please, think about what you are saying.

I am an infectious control monitor at health facilities where I live and the only way to protect against POSSIBLY getting Noro is wash your hands and don't touch Anything. Other than that good luck not to get it if you are on an inclosed environment like a cruise ship.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

When you start eyeballing all of Royal's options that's not a fair comparison. Nobody is going to spread noro on a short cruise enough to be reported. There are only 18 Carnival cruises that are 12 days or longer, compared to RCCL's 125. With the slacking on sanitizer and inspection results, I bet you'd be surprised at the results if CCL ran head to head with RCCL on # of longer cruises.

I'm not sure what you consider short, but I'll go with under 12 days. When we sailed RCCL in 2014 there was an outbreak on our six day cruise. Our cruise was delayed for embarkation because the returning cruise also had an outbreak. We washed our hands well and often and didn't contract Noro, but is certainly reported on short cruises also.

I don't think either line is perfect, and will take my chances with whichever line has the best price and options for the itinerary and time we are looking to cruise.

I am an infectious control monitor at health facilities where I live and the only way to protect against POSSIBLY getting Noro is wash your hands and don't touch Anything. Other than that good luck not to get it if you are on an inclosed environment like a cruise ship.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

I might be misunderstanding your post, but based on your logic it seems like Noro outbreaks should be much higher against all ships. Just because you are in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship or a nursing home does not guarantee that you will get Noro any more than taking proper precautions means you won't.

We sailed on a ship with Norovirus. The crew were constantly cleaning and we also washed our hands well and often. We did not get sick - even despite using the solarium pool and talking with a couple also using the pool who informed us that half of their family was quarantined with the virus:eek:

It sounds like a cutback to me. Supposedly we're all still 3 year olds if we still use straws.

This is why many places are banning plastic straws or having you make a conscious effort to get one. Too much plastic ends up in the ocean- even if we try to keep it out of the ocean.

This, but better yet, use the handwashing station in the buffets after you dish up your food and set it on the table. I believe there are studies out there that show handwashing is more effective than hand sanitizer. It takes like 1 minute. Your food will not get cold. We MAKE our kids do this. Just think of all the potential germs on those serving spoon handles. You touch that and then the roll or whatever you put in your mouth. Gross.

My BIL gives me crap over this. One time he was grilling pork chops and after he placed the raw chops on the grill, he wiped his hands on his jeans and asked to hold our newborn. My wife made him wash his hands first and he refused saying we were germaphobes. Maybe, but I get sick a hell of a lot less than he does. Proper hygiene matters.

I agree with you on clean hands and I would definitely use soap after handling raw meat. I use hand sanitizer exclusively in public places. I am allergic to some ingredients in soaps and since I can't see an ingredient list I use hand sanitizer in public and the products that I bring with in private. Just another side that isn't as well-known.

I'm not sure what you consider short, but I'll go with under 12 days. When we sailed RCCL in 2014 there was an outbreak on our six day cruise. Our cruise was delayed for embarkation because the returning cruise also had an outbreak. We washed our hands well and often and didn't contract Noro, but is certainly reported on short cruises also.

I don't think either line is perfect, and will take my chances with whichever line has the best price and options for the itinerary and time we are looking to cruise.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but based on your logic it seems like Noro outbreaks should be much higher against all ships. Just because you are in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship or a nursing home does not guarantee that you will get Noro any more than taking proper precautions means you won't.

We sailed on a ship with Norovirus. The crew were constantly cleaning and we also washed our hands well and often. We did not get sick - even despite using the solarium pool and talking with a couple also using the pool who informed us that half of their family was quarantined with the virus:eek:

Thanks for your reply. No, I did not mean all people or most people would get Noro I was meaning the chances are good that you could get it.

This.

I work in a hospital ER. Can we say Norovirus, C-diff, MRSA , VRE, and many more? People cough in my face (sometimes intentionally). They sneeze, puke, poop, bleed, and hack on me.

I'm not afraid of the cruise ship. Yes, I can get sick. I take precautions. But I don't fret over it.

Bedbugs and lice, on the other hand, creep me out! 

I also work in an ER ... and yes Noro is hell... had it twice over the years and I'd hate to get it again ever, let alone on vacation but like you said, I take precautions and figure I can't be more exposed than I am at work everyday ;)

I'm not worried about Noro...never was, never will be. What will be, will be.

Since I had surgery for nose and mouth cancer 3 years ago, I cannot drink without a straw. Since then, I carry my own when going anywhere...outings, friends homes, vacations etc.

It will be just one more thing to pack if the cruiselines eliminate straws:D:D:D:D