Carnival's Straw Policy will only cause more norovirus outbreaks

wo5m

First, I want to commend Carnival for trying to do something environmentally friendly. However, this is something they clearly didn't think through.

Let me ask you, the last time you ordered a drink from a Carnival bar do you know how many sail and sign cards the bartender handled since he last sanitized his hands? Now if just one of those passengers had a norovirus infection the every glass the bartenders touches potentially an infection point. That is how the norovirus spreads and its a big issue for cruise lines.

I know I will still be able to request a plastic straw and I will always do so, but its the other passengers I am worried about. The more infections you have the easier is in to spreed in highly confined spaces.

How many news headline have you seen over the years were a large numbers passengers getting sick.

We just has one two months ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/09/royal-caribbean-cruise-arrives-in-san-diego-after-24-people-sickened-with-gastrointestinal-virus.html

Please help me in letting Carnival know this is a very bad idea.

This has to be the most hilarious argument about the loss of straws yet.

Paper straws are coming back. Didn't california push a similar law that you had to ask for plastic straw? They claimed that it was the number one litter picked up by clean up crews. I know they fly off in lido desk. I will suck it up and ask for a straw when needed. And will try and keep it out of the ocean. :tropical-drink:

My office is more of a petri dish than any cruise ship. I probably have a much higher chance of getting sick at work - where it seems like someone is always sneezing, coughing, or on the verge of hurling - than I am on vacation.

This.

I work in a hospital ER. Can we say Norovirus, C-diff, MRSA , VRE, and many more? People cough in my face (sometimes intentionally). They sneeze, puke, poop, bleed, and hack on me.

I'm not afraid of the cruise ship. Yes, I can get sick. I take precautions. But I don't fret over it.

Bedbugs and lice, on the other hand, creep me out! 

Edited by cpshaye
Grammar fixes

You could touch literally anything on a ship and pick up any number of bugs/viruses. It's the risk you take to share close quarters with 3000+ other humans.

Exactly. And not only on a ship, but pretty much anywhere you go in life. If you are touching anything in any public place, then probably a hundred other people have touched the same thing. You could drive yourself crazy worrying about every possible contact with any kind of germs.

Just use common sense handwashing. Unless you have an immune system disorder, I don't think there is much else you can (or should) do.

This is why everyone should wash their hands often. It's been awhile since I've been on the Carnival ship and I can't wait to get back! Do they have the little dispensers with hand sanitizer positioned around the ship?

This.

I work in a hospital ER. Can we say Norovirus, C-diff, MRSA , VRE, and many more? People cough in my face (sometimes intentionally). They sneeze, puke, poop, bleed, and hack on me.

I'm not afraid of the cruise ship. Yes, I can get sick. I take precautions. But I don't fret over it.

Bedbugs and lice, on the other hand, creep me out! 

It would appear to me that by the end of a cruise and first few days home more people are ill with some sort of respitory infection than the same percentage on land.

Cruise ship is a closed environment and too many people do not understand basic hygiene.

Lol, there is an amazing mindset out there now a days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have complained about a few Carnival changes/cutbacks, but complaining about having to ask for straws really does seem a bit extreme. I think this thread will give us a pretty good idea of who enjoys Carnival, but occasionally dislikes something they do, and those who have an agenda and bash for the sake of bashing.

This is why everyone should wash their hands often. It's been awhile since I've been on the Carnival ship and I can't wait to get back! Do they have the little dispensers with hand sanitizer positioned around the ship?

This, but better yet, use the handwashing station in the buffets after you dish up your food and set it on the table. I believe there are studies out there that show handwashing is more effective than hand sanitizer. It takes like 1 minute. Your food will not get cold. We MAKE our kids do this. Just think of all the potential germs on those serving spoon handles. You touch that and then the roll or whatever you put in your mouth. Gross.

My BIL gives me crap over this. One time he was grilling pork chops and after he placed the raw chops on the grill, he wiped his hands on his jeans and asked to hold our newborn. My wife made him wash his hands first and he refused saying we were germaphobes. Maybe, but I get sick a hell of a lot less than he does. Proper hygiene matters.

I've seen plastic straws and those red solo cups that some use go flying overboard when it's windy, which is most of the time the ship is moving. Nothing to do with noro virus at all, but a recent whale that washed up on shore had 64 pounds of plastic in its stomach.

The Pacific gyre that consists of plastic items is now estimated to be larger than Texas.

This, but better yet, use the handwashing station in the buffets after you dish up your food and set it on the table. I believe there are studies out there that show handwashing is more effective than hand sanitizer. It takes like 1 minute. .

Yep, correct handwashing is more effective than sanitizers:

“The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute. Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water.Jan 14, 2013

Everybody complains about the BIG plastic patch in the Pacific but nobody cleans it up. Is it really there?. It’s been discussed for yesrs and now a straw debate? Some people need to stop watching the news. You life will be much happier

I have complained about a few Carnival changes/cutbacks, but complaining about having to ask for straws really does seem a bit extreme. I think this thread will give us a pretty good idea of who enjoys Carnival, but occasionally dislikes something they do, and those who have an agenda and bash for the sake of bashing.

While we have not always agreed, this time we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The best answer is for each of us to practice good hygiene with thorough hand washing and using common sense. I agree with the OP about wondering how many S&S cards a server may have handled since last washing his/her hands, but I'm not going to worry about it. I can only imagine the spin buttons on slot machines are as dirty. Ditto for door knobs and other public surfaces. I'm simply going to wash my hands frequently, avoid touching my face, use a tissue when opening a bathroom door, and move to another area if I observe someone else practicing poor hygiene such as not covering coughs/sneezes, etc. This is all just part of life and nothing to stress about. And thank you to all the teachers and parents out there teaching children good hygiene and modeling and rewarding those behaviors!