How are the beds?

Obits

We have to do this as well. I usually try to pack things I can wear for different weather conditions. For example, the jacket I wear, is a shell and a fleece liner. They separate and the shell is perfect for the rain, while the liner works chilly nights. Together they at least handle winter in Chicago enough to get me to and from the airport.

Contact special needs. They should be able to help you. If nothing is done when you board, talk with you cabin steward.

I'm going that route this time. I sure hope Royal is listening. It seems like they changed their bed specifications/mattress provider around 2015. That is when I first started hearing about really hard beds. I'm sure if it isn't in the thread already someone will mention that taste's vary and some people like hard beds. Any mattress experts out there? Is there a mattress hardness scale? Like my sleep number bed, if there was a firmness scale I suspect these mattresses are beyond that 99% of people feel comfortable on. They sure must have gotten a great deal.

As I prepared to board Freedom in 2015 I first heard the hard mattress complaints. I was worried, but I got an upgrade at the pier and my bed already has a foam topper when we arrived. Oasis in 2016 was my first cruise as Diamond and our room had the same type of topper without asking. I almost thought it was a Diamond benefit. Later that year on Majesty, I had a topper without asking, Next year on Majesty I finally got to try one of these hard mattresses. Wow. They were able to find a small thin pad which made it acceptable, but we were told the foam toppers were gone. I heard lots of complaints about people getting off Majesty last year.

This year I used special needs and cited arthritis and spinal surgery and requested a pad. I see if on my final invoice, so I'm hopeful for Jewel coming up.

Next year on Majesty I finally got to try one of these hard mattresses. Wow. They were able to find a small thin pad which made it acceptable, but we were told the foam toppers were gone. I heard lots of complaints about people getting off Majesty last year.

quote]

Interesting that we have cruised Majesty frequently and always have had the foam toppers on the beds when we arrived.

I guess it just goes to show that one or a handful of experiences do not equate to what is normal in the RCI Fleet.

We have been on Anthem twice. The first time we contacted special needs for a mattress topper after final payment. We got the email and we got the topper already in place once we boarded. One topper was not enough. The second time we contacted special needs (this was for a 9/17 cruise) and asked for two mattress toppers. We got the email and both toppers were there when we boarded. They were actual toppers, not duvets, not egg crates. They helped quite a bit...but still the beds on Anthem are extremely hard.

Hi Gizfish :)

I emailed Special Needs also prior to my last sailing onboard Anthem & requested assistance in obtaining a mattress topper. I received an actual mattress topper as well.

:)

As of January 2018, there are no more egg crate mattress toppers on Anthem. I sailed on 01/19/18.

Hi Ckrobyn :)

I received an actual mattress topper/mattress pad from Special Needs as the member above. It was (cotton or polyester) & had 4 straps; one on each corner. Not an egg crate at all.

For my next sailing onboard Anthem I contacted Special Needs once again & requested assistance in obtaining the same type of topper/pad to be added to my reservation. It's listed on my booking as (Disabled/Matt Pad).

:)

Any mattress experts out there? Is there a mattress hardness scale? Like my sleep number bed, if there was a firmness scale I suspect these mattresses are beyond that 99% of people feel comfortable on. They sure must have gotten a great deal.

On a scale of 1-10 I would say 9 hardness. Actual cement or wood would have been harder. Funny thing is, we got 2 JS for Anthem because they supposedly had the 'luxury bedding' or some nonsense. No. The beds were hard! You are right, it must have been too good of a deal to pass up.

As of January 2018, there are no more egg crate mattress toppers on Anthem. I sailed on 01/19/18.

I have never gotten an egg crate mattress topper when we contacted special needs for a topper. They gave us the regular quilted pillow mattress topper.

Both my spouse and I have had back surgeries. We are spoiled at home with a Tempurpedic bed. Our last few cruises have been difficult on our backs, hips, and knees. I hope having 2 toppers helps. Thanks for this thread and all its details.

My adult daughter and I used to shake our heads at people's comments about the bad beds. We were always thrilled with them. Well, after many years, we replaced the very old mattresses in our home. On our next cruise, after we sat down on the bed, we burst out laughing and said, "boy were our matresses at home bad. These are not as comfy as the ones we have at home." It wasn't bad enough to cause us to lose sleep or to think about ordering the mattress toppers, but our new mattresses gave us a different prospective. We just try to pack light and we fly so we will be toughing it out.