Withdrawing money from on-ship (Princess) ATMs using Charles Schwab ATM card

zzzz8888

I have a Charles Schwab high yield investor checking account and thus my ATM fees and foreign transaction fees are covered. I've used the card in various places in the world and my fees have always been covered. However, this will be the first time I will use it on board a cruise ship, specifically the Regal Princess. Will Schwab cover fees for usage on board a cruise ship? Are there any additional fees imposed by Princess that may not be covered by my Schwab ATM card?

Moreover, do the Princess ATMs dispense US dollars only? Are there on-board ATMs that would possibly dispense Euro or any other currencies? I wonder what the exchange rate would be if I used my Schwab ATM card withdrawing money on board the cruise in a currency other than US dollars?

These are all interesting questions. You might call Chuck to find out about their policy.

I bring cash. 😀

Yep, I have a question out to Chuck right now and I'm hoping they will reply to my message soon. :)

On the exchange, you’ll get the $100,000 wholesale rate on your transactions in currencies other than USD. If you’re ever offered the opportunity to pre-convert (for example, ATM usually dispenses Euros, you are offered the option of a dollar amount for the withdrawal of Euros), simply decline the convenience and let the payment network do it. The only equally-competitive currency exchange is the Starbucks Card: I was shocked at the quality of the rate you get for spending in non-USD currencies and flabbergasted that you can load other currencies back to your USD account (even coins and small notes) at the same rate.

Will Schwab cover fees for usage on board a cruise ship? This is a question you should ask Schwab. Are there any additional fees imposed by Princess that may not be covered by my Schwab ATM card? Just the outrageous ATM user fee (I think at least $6 now). My experience with another brand card is that ATM fees are refunded if the fee is listed as a separate fee when the transaction is sent to the card issuer. However sometimes the fee is not separated out and is just listed as part of the amount withdrawn. In that case, the card issuer cannot tell even if there was a fee much less what the fee was.

Moreover, do the Princess ATMs dispense US dollars only? Except for Australia based ships, US$ is the on board currency and what the ATMs dispense. Are there on-board ATMs that would possibly dispense Euro or any other currencies? ATMs on Princess ships that have US$ as the on board currency only dispense US$. However they may have a currency exchange machine (which is not an ATM). You give it currency from one country (such as US$) and it puts out currency for another country (such as Euros). The exchange rate, to put it politely, sux. You will pay about 8% more than the official exchange rate plus a service charge. I wonder what the exchange rate would be if I used my Schwab ATM card withdrawing money on board the cruise in a currency other than US dollars? You would first use the card to withdraw US$ at the ATM and then feed those US$ into the currency exchange machine,

see above in red

You would be better off using your Schwab card at an on shore ATM to get your foreign currency.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Schwab got back to me to indicate that they would cover ATM fees that I am charged. Interestingly, they didn't directly state that they would cover ATM fees charged while using a cruise ATM machine, but I think their language covers that. I also looked elsewhere online and other people have the experience that Schwab will cover ATM fees would be covered for cruise ship ATM machines.

The answer is YES, Schwab does rebate ATM fees for onboard withdrawals. I obtained cash from an ATM onboard the Royal on February 16, 2018 and was charged a fee of $6.50. That $6.50 was rebated to my Schwab checking account on February 28th.

I can't tell you about dispensing euros...never tried that when cruising in Europe. We've never had an issue when using our Schwab card in an ATM shoreside in Europe to obtain euros. You won't have a problem finding an ATM in Europe...they're everywhere!!

The answer is YES, Schwab does rebate ATM fees for onboard withdrawals. I obtained cash from an ATM onboard the Royal on February 16, 2018 and was charged a fee of $6.50. That $6.50 was rebated to my Schwab checking account on February 28th.

Agree 100%. Just off the Ruby a few weeks ago. We were also assessed a $6.50 ATM fee and it was credited back by Schwab on our month-end April statement.

~Denise

I also have a Schwab bank account with ATM card (best thing since sliced bread!) and had no ATM fees incurred for using the ship's ATM. However, I can't remember any ship ATM that gives anything other than UDS, even the Diamond in Japan only dispensed dollars. They do have a currency exchange machine on board but I think the rate is bad and it also charges a flat fee on top of that. So you'll be better off using an ATM on shore.