Novice cruisers Planning a Cruise — with a toddler

We decided to go on a cruise in the fall. Three groups of 2. One cabin will have me and my husband (ages 59). Second cabin, hopefully adjoining will have my mom (age 79) and my 3 year old grandson — this is why we need adjoining. Third cabin another couple in 50’s.

We found two cruises where the dates would work.

One is Princess Regal. I read that they have a play area with climbing gym for ages 3-7. And other kid-friendly perks. This is a medallion cruise.

The other is Norwegian Gem. They weren’t listed as a “best kid friendly cruise” but looking on their website it seems they have things for kids too.

The Princess cruise is more expensive. But I would love to do that one. Some in the group have financial concerns though so Norwegian might be better. It is considerably less expensive.

Are travel agents able to get any better deals than what is listed on the websites?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price wise make sure you are comparing apples to apples!

Your cruise price is for your cruise, but sometimes advertising doesn't say what that includes. Make sure price is for cabin, any taxes, fees, gratuities, insurance, any included alcoholic drink packages, etc. You need to know exactly what the price is before saying one cruise is higher or lower than another. Sometimes there are discounts that can be applied, such as for military, retired military, police, certain states, etc.

Sounds like you need the help of a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

We decided to go on a cruise in the fall. Three groups of 2. One cabin will have me and my husband (ages 59). Second cabin, hopefully adjoining will have my mom (age 79) and my 3 year old grandson — this is why we need adjoining. Third cabin another couple in 50’s.

One is Princess Regal. I read that they have a play area with climbing gym for ages 3-7. And other kid-friendly perks. This is a medallion cruise.

The other is Norwegian Gem. They weren’t listed as a “best kid friendly cruise” but looking on their website it seems they have things for kids too.

The Princess cruise is more expensive. But I would love to do that one. Some in the group have financial concerns though so Norwegian might be better. It is considerably less expensive.

Are travel agents able to get any better deals than what is listed on the websites?

Thanks so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When booking, be sure to ask for "connecting" rooms. Not "adjoining".

Adjoining means next door or across the hall from each other (no interior connecting door).

Connecting means there's an interior connecting door between two room next to each other.

Thanks so much!!

*** I should have mentioned. We do have a travel agent and I plan to talk to her tomorrow. I just want to be as prepared as I can be beforehand.

TAs are allowed to discount Princess cruises. They just aren't allowed to publish the discounted fares. My TA always gets me at least an 8% discount - and sometimes much higher - over Princess advertised fares.

Most of the time travel agents can get a discounted price and/or other perks, such as free gratuities. I have only booked a cruise from the cruise line site once, when it was a stunning deal. Princess does let agents discount 8-10%, not all cruise lines do, but agents may offer more perks instead. You have to decide what the perks are worth to you; for instance, we don't drink, so a beverage package is a waste except maybe for a pop or water or two.

Almost all mass market ships have very good programs for 3 and up--the toddler will have fun, and at that age should enjoy everything. Norwegian will be as good or better for kids than Princess. However, the Royal is a bigger, newer ship, if that is important to you.

Do look for connecting rooms, just for convenience, not just adjoining.

Welcome!

You didn't ask for this info, but I'm going to "butt-in" and give it since you're new to cruising & may not be aware:

since the toddler's parents don't seem to be in your travel party, be sure that you have the appropriate documents to travel outside the US with the child (unless you have legal custody of the child).

The travel agent may know what is needed or check w/the cruise line you choose. Usually it's a notarized letter, signed by both parents, granting permission to take the child w/you and permission to get medical treatment for him/her if needed.

Now, I'll butt-out. Have fun!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for these comments. We did book on the Princess Regal for the end of October. I wish I had seen or understood about adjoining vs connecting. Ours will connect on the balcony only. We will make it work. We are all excited. We do share custody of my grandson but may get a notarized letter to bring in addition as well as the court papers. Now hoping we can figure in naps or at least that he will get some sleep on the way to or fro. For everyone’s sake! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for these comments. We did book on the Princess Regal for the end of October. I wish I had seen or understood about adjoining vs connecting. Ours will connect on the balcony only. We will make it work. We are all excited. We do share custody of my grandson but may get a notarized letter to bring in addition as well as the court papers. Now hoping we can figure in naps or at least that he will get some sleep on the way to or fro. For everyone’s sake! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highly recommend checking with Princess to see exactly what you need to take the kids on a cruise. You are leaving the country - passports recommended: sometimes required. If they don’t have passports you will probably need original birth certificates along with necessary court documents indicating custody. Also don’t overlook medical insurance and appropriate insurance cards. You may also need parental permission. It’s not just like a regular vacation or local trip