Do some people take cruises and NEVER get off the ship in the ports?

GLDody

Why even bother with a cruise then? Just go to some AI resort somewhere.

If you have a flexible work schedule and live near a port, you can book a last minute cruise cheaply and just go regardless of whether or not you are interested in the ports. I'd agree I'm not sure why someone would fly to a cruise and not get off the ship, but if it makes them happy so be it.

We did a Breakaway cruise to Florida/Bahamas and never got off in any ports. No interest in any of that. It was great as we had the Vibe and made full use of it, as well as the drink package.

We cruise from NY every year because convenient for spring break and we never get off as the ports are repetetive and we've done those. If we wanted to do a cruise with different ports we'd have to fly to miami or somewhere in Florida. For spring break, we want to just find a corner and chill and have beverages, we get enough excitement in the classroom. So yeah, we stay onboard the WHOLE time. On rare occasions, we'll take the Florida shuttle to shop, but not usually.

If that’s the case then it’s silly. Because I’m going to pay that amount whether I get the UBP or not. Hence the UBP is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, it is not "free". NCL now offers "sailaway" rates with no perks. It is no longer a last minute thing on many cruises. I view that difference as the cost of the perks.

We have always got off the ship. That said, if we don't have an excursion booked, there are ports that we just walked around a bit and returned to the ship in under an hour.

I believe that there will be a time when we stay onboard in an port that we have been to and do not care for.

If you have a flexible work schedule and live near a port, you can book a last minute cruise cheaply and just go regardless of whether or not you are interested in the ports. I'd agree I'm not sure why someone would fly to a cruise and not get off the ship, but if it makes them happy so be it.

Oh for sure that makes sense! Me I am not going to go through the hassle of flying somewhere to get on a cruise and never leave the ship!!

If a last minute cruise out of NY at a really good price, then yes.

Actually, it is not "free". NCL now offers "sailaway" rates with no perks. It is no longer a last minute thing on many cruises. I view that difference as the cost of the perks.

This is how people incorrectly view the sail away rates. In reality the sail away rates are GTY, which means I cannot choose my cabin location and can be put in a very bad location. That may work for some people but for the majority of people that doesn’t work. In which case I am already purchasing a non-sailaway cabin, hence my UBP is free since I am paying the same amount whether I choose the UBP as my perk or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do the Florida Bahamas run frequently because we like t leave from NY. We have done is multiple times without ever getting off the ship. It's fantastic. In fact last week was the first time we got off in Nassau in about 15 years. We booked a day pass at the Hilton. It was great.