Do some people take cruises and NEVER get off the ship in the ports?

GLDody

We did the Panama Canal cruise in January on the Star, our favorite ports were Costa Rica, Guatamela and Colombia. I did stay on board in Acapulco and did really enjoy the ship being so much less crowded that day. Hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did.

I just put a deposit on a cruise that is San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Nassau.

I fully intend to NOT get off in San Juan. But the other ports are really interesting to me, so I'll visit them. Am actually looking forward to having a near empty ship to enjoy.

I love San Juan. Have you just been there multiple times or have some other reason to not get off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love San Juan. Have you just been there multiple times or have some other reason to not get off?

What do you love about San Juan? I had a bad experience there. Airport flight layover. As we were boarding the puddle jumper plane there was a guy on the tarmac insisting my TINY carry on would not fit in overhead. He said he HAD to 'check it'. It was late, the flight was delayed HOURS to St. Maarten and I didn't think about my camera. Well, when he took the luggage, I saw this plastic/rubber type curtain over the opening of the belly of the plane. That curtain thing was flapping and I could see that men were going through EVERYONE's luggage! I kept telling everyone in line that their luggage was being rifled through and this guy on the tarmac got in my face and threatened me and told me to shut up.

Well, we got to our time share and sure enough, no camera. The camera case, yes, but no camera. My husband didn't believe me when we were in line getting on the plane .... no one in line listened to me or believed me. That was the only thing of value I had in my luggage.

I just booked the mexico bliss trip and don’t intend to get off the boat much. Only in one port that has a kids meet the dolphins excursion for my son. I think it’s puerta vallarta.

I have done the mexican riveria 7 day cruise at least 5 times. I’m not going for the ports. I’m going cause it’s the bliss haven and I literally live a stones throw from the port where it embarks and disembarks.

On our last Escape cruise, I got off the ship in one port only.. I never get off in Nassau anymore. I'd rather enjoy the pool and the UBP perks at ports I've been to multiple times.

You will love the Panama Canal cruise. I like Guatemala, Costa Rica and Cartagena. You might want to check out the Ports threads to find out more. Mazatlan is not really a favorite, I can take it or leave it. Whatever you do, enjoy it, and at least one bar will be open, usually the pool bar and the atrium bar. They will also have some trivia and of course spa will be open.

What do you love about San Juan? I had a bad experience there. Airport flight layover. As we were boarding the puddle jumper plane there was a guy on the tarmac insisting my TINY carry on would not fit in overhead. He said he HAD to 'check it'. It was late, the flight was delayed HOURS to St. Maarten and I didn't think about my camera. Well, when he took the luggage, I saw this plastic/rubber type curtain over the opening of the belly of the plane. That curtain thing was flapping and I could see that men were going through EVERYONE's luggage! I kept telling everyone in line that their luggage was being rifled through and this guy on the tarmac got in my face and threatened me and told me to shut up.

Well, we got to our time share and sure enough, no camera. The camera case, yes, but no camera. My husband didn't believe me when we were in line getting on the plane .... no one in line listened to me or believed me. That was the only thing of value I had in my luggage.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. That’s very unfortunate. I like the culture and the food and the history.

We loved the old town of Cartagena. The tourist parts of Cartagena are completely safe and beautiful. We took a tour with Dora de zubiria, which was excellent (though we skipped the new town and shopping in favor of lunch at the club de pesca, which was great. Both my 2 year old and his grandmothers had a wonderful day. I’d highly recommend getting off the ship there.

I took a cruise to Belize, Honduras, the grand cayman islands and Cozumel from Tampa and ran into a gentleman who was on this cruise for the 20th time. He keeps taking it because he loves to golf on the ship excursions. He was very upset that one of the golfing excursions had been cancelled due to low enrollment. He lives near Tampa and just books this cruise whenever there’s a last minute sale so he can golf in the ports.

On our 14 day cruise on the BA in February their was a couple in their mid 40's a few cabins down from us. They never got off the ship, it was their second cruise and have never been to any of the ports we were stopping. Kind of blew my mind, but to each their own

Did they mention why? Were they enjoying the ship and perhaps their cabin that much?;p;)

We are taking a 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal in Nov. 2018 on the NCL Bliss, and are very excited. We took this cruise specifically to see the Panama Canal, as this is on my husbands bucket list.

My question is, I am not very excited about any of the ports stops on this cruise:

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cartegena, Columbia

Do some people just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship the entire time? Will they service the "FREE COCKTAILS" packages during the time the ship is in port?

We’re on the same cruise and are part of a small group that has arranged private tours in each port.

If you’d like more information send me an email at happycruzin@yahoo.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be perfectly happy never leaving the ship, my wife loves to go and see things. So we compromise we normally book 2 excursions on a cruise 1 for me, something historical or informative and 1 for her usually snorkeling, the rest of the time we stay on board.

Thank you for your comments. Can you please share what you did in Cartegena that you enjoyed so much?

I can tell you what we did several years ago: We just took an open air, horse drawn wagon tour of the city and then a stop to shop. We absolutely loved it. If we were to return we might do something even more interesting. As said, it is a wonderful and historical city. Be sure to do something there; well worth it. Costa Rico is also a great place to tour.

Thank you for your comments. Can you please share what you did in Cartegena that you enjoyed so much?

we booked a tour with Dora the Explorer which came highly recommended:

http://cartagenatour.com/_index.php

my ONLY complaint was that the stop at the fort was just that - a stop of about 10 minutes with time for photos. We would have enjoyed being able to go in and walk around the fort.

in old town, the buildings are beautifully colored with balconies of flowers. Streets very, very clean. probably the cleanest port we visited this trip. Its busy, its modern, and i was honestly quite surprised. My stereotype of Colombia was cocaine, drugs and jungles like in the movie Romancing the Stone.

We are taking a 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal in Nov. 2018 on the NCL Bliss, and are very excited. We took this cruise specifically to see the Panama Canal, as this is on my husbands bucket list.

My question is, I am not very excited about any of the ports stops on this cruise:

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cartegena, Columbia

Do some people just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship the entire time? Will they service the "FREE COCKTAILS" packages during the time the ship is in port?

I'm 70 and my wife is 65; but we both like active excursions. We took the 10 day Jade Panama cruise in February and only got off once because either the ride to the excursions were too long or, in the case of Cartagena only "old people" tours were offered as excursions. We had a great time and almost never book our cruises for the excursions.

The Canal was on my bucket list, as with your husband, and my wife went; but reluctantly. She was glad she went; the Canal is a marvel considering it was built over one hundred years ago with the engineering of the day.

Yes, and in this case I would still say the drink is free. Tax is a separate line item. And pretty negligible.

I don't think 18%+ is 'negligible' at all!!

I don't think 18%+ is 'negligible' at all!!

The tax is not 18%. You are mixing the tax and the service charge. And actually the service charge is up to 20% now.

On our 14 day cruise on the BA in February their was a couple in their mid 40's a few cabins down from us. They never got off the ship, it was their second cruise and have never been to any of the ports we were stopping. Kind of blew my mind, but to each their own

Why even bother with a cruise then? Just go to some AI resort somewhere.

Because going thru the Panama Canal is on my husbands bucket list, we usually do go to All Inclusive Resorts.

Because going thru the Panama Canal is on my husbands bucket list, we usually do go to All Inclusive Resorts.

My reply wasn't intended for you, it was a post that said on a recent cruise there was a 40 something couple that have cruised twice and never got off in any port.

Because even if you do not get off the ship, there is still something about the various ports plus the choice of dining and entertainment. For some AI are the answer, for others cruising offers a great bargain and a lit of relaxing fun.

Because even if you do not get off the ship, there is still something about the various ports plus the choice of dining and entertainment. For some AI are the answer, for others cruising offers a great bargain and a lit of relaxing fun.

Must be me but I don't find cruises a bargain unless you live close to a port and don't have fly