? re driving from Anchorage to Seward

go4ak

We are going to be driving from Anchorage to Seward for a Kenai Fjords Cruise. (on a Monday if that matters)

We need to be there for an 11:00 sail away on Major Marine Tours.

What time would we need to leave Anchorage to make it there (a little early)?

I know there are tunnel time issues - but I'm not sure how long it takes to get from Anchorage to the tunnel and then the tunnel to Seward.

Thanks in advance.

The one way tunnel is on the way to Whittier and doesn't affect travel to Seward.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Oh, duh. Thanks so much. I've been to both via bus and train and couldn't remember which was which.

Thank you!

The tunnel is to Whittier, not Seward.

It's about 125 miles from Anc to Seward. I always make several stops so i can't say what it SHOULD take, but all the resources say to allow 2 1/2 - 3 hrs for drive time.

Wonderful - I think I'll plan for 3 hours just to be safe. Thank you!

We are doing the same itinerary you are. We are planning on leaving our hotel in Anchorage at 5:30 am so we can enjoy the drive to Seward and make any stops we want for site seeing and photos. Major Marines requires you check in an hour earlier than your excursion.

What time of year, tourist traffic gets heavy in the summer. I would say 3 hours is a good window, maybe more if you want to stop and take pictures or stretch your legs.

I will be the week of May 14th. We figure to drive straight to Seward, do the cruise and spend the night. Then the next day slowly may our way back to Anchorage. We want to make several stops including the Wildlife Center.

Thanks.

3-4 hours ought to be enough time. And, say a prayer that there is not an accident that takes place as you drive to Seward. Such can close the highway for quite some time.

Thank you. Will definitely include that prayer. :)

We are doing the same itinerary you are. We are planning on leaving our hotel in Anchorage at 5:30 am so we can enjoy the drive to Seward and make any stops we want for site seeing and photos. Major Marines requires you check in an hour earlier than your excursion.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was planning on being there early - but now will make SURE to be there a couple of hours early.

Have a great cruise!

Does the vendor want you onboard an hr prior ?

If its not reserved seating, you definitely want to do that.

Maybe stay in Girdwood the night before , about 45 miles south of Anchorage, if you're concerned.

Thank you for the recommendation. We're staying the week in Anchorage - with a one night stay in Seward. I think one more hotel and I would push the hubby over the edge.