Looking for advice about Chilkoot Charters tour

Stormy407

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking at going on the Yukon Expedition and White Rail Pass tour with Chilkoot Charters in early September. They have two options - train up and van back or the reverse. The train up leaves at 0730 and the van up leaves at 0830. Is one option better than the other? I have read on these forums about which side to sit on for both, so that's not an issue. We just want the best opportunities for views and photos! Anyone who has been on this tour, can you offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!

What time do you get back to town with each option? In case you wanted to wander around town for awhile.

I'm sure this has been asked before. Use the search tool to find past threads....search on the word chilkoot.

Used them in September 2012. Were met from the ship at 7.30am taken to station and shown our carriage. We were in the last carriage with 2 other couples. They met us with the group who had taken the van up, we toured with them, had lunch etc. We dropped off the van group and were the only ones in the van for the ride back to Skagway. Enjoyed the ride back as we could see the train across the valley and had the perspective of where we had been on the train. Side of the train was not an issue as we could move around and step outside and ride the platform. But left side of carriage on the way up would be the views. Take walm clothing as it was so cold and wet. Loved it all.

Will be doing the 8:30 a.m. - bus up and train down next week on May 9th. Can let you know when we get back if that helps. Like above poster said - in my research of this tour - not one bad review.

I've done this tour and did bus up and train back. The bus was smaller so less people to funnel off and on at each stop. I enjoyed taking the train back since it felt like a good finale to the excursion.

We took the tour to Emerald Lake last May with the bus first and train back. We saw 2 bears on the way up and the driver was able to stop so we could get pictures. We also made several other photo stops.

There was a little fog in the morning, but it was perfectly clear for the train ride back. There is no guarantee that it will be this way for everyone, but it worked well for us.

We had a long day in port, so we still had time to walk around town before returning to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say enough good things about this tour company. The tour I wanted was sold out. We choose the shorter tour and was put on the waiting list for the longer tours. They notified me when they became available and I was able to switch. They couldn't be more accomadating.

We did bus up and train back, I think because we thought the morning might be foggy and also because that was the time we preferred. We had a wonderful time. I did get a little sleepy on the train ride back. It’s a great excursion, you will love it.

In 2012 we did the morning train up and bus back - the only foggy (and it was really foggy!) weather we hit was for a portion of the bus ride down. The ride up had some clouds but still spectacular long distance views, especially from the back platform of the Chilkoot car (which was the last car in the train). In less than 5 weeks we are doing the same itinerary again but starting in the early afternoon.

In 2012 we did the morning train up and bus back - the only foggy (and it was really foggy!) weather we hit was for a portion of the bus ride down. The ride up had some clouds but still spectacular long distance views, especially from the back platform of the Chilkoot car (which was the last car in the train). In less than 5 weeks we are doing the same itinerary again but starting in the early afternoon.

We are doing the 12 noon train up and bus back the last week of June. We plan to wander beforehand where we hope there will be less crowds with everyone off on excursions. When they come back to town we will do the train and then van..... hope that plan works and the weather cooperates.;)