Some more questions for Alaska trip please help.

jaitip

Hi

I have some more questions and would love to know from all of you that experienced before.

1. How much do you spend approximately for each meals in Alaska trip?

We will do cruise tours which have to pay for our meals on land portion. I would like to know costs of meal approximately. I know it depends on what you eat and the class of the restaurant. But I want to have some guidances in range. Comparing with the stars, may be about 3-4 stars. Not too bad but not need to be that luxurious. In case there are some a must I might go for it, i can pay if I would love it.

Just want to know how much money I have to prepare.

And are credit cards acceptable?

2. Are the costs of meals in Alaska more expensive than some other cities in USA?

3. For shore excursions, I really feel hard to make decision. So maybe I might choose ones when at the ports, are there booth tours available? I saw some pictures that there were, but not sure about these years recently. I already booked some from the ship. But not for every port yet. Also are credit cards acceptable?

4. For land portion, I will stay at Westmark Fairbanks, McKinley chalet, Westmark Anchorage and Seward Windsong Lodge. Are they ok? Clean enough? I really care about cleanliness.

4. I will start cruise tours in 29 May in Fairbanks and start cruise in June 3 , 2018. Around these days, comparing from year to year, how many degree approximately, in range.

Today I just talked to a Thai people living in Juneau, she said it is 4-14 celsius, sorry I don not know in F degree.

Thank you in advance for your sharing all along.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

4. I will start cruise tours in 29 May in Fairbanks and start cruise in June 3 , 2018. Around these days, comparing from year to year, how many degree approximately, in range.

Today I just talked to a Thai people living in Juneau, she said it is 4-14 celsius, sorry I don not know in F degree. Check out this website for average temps by Alaskan city: https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/alaska/united-states/3171. Make sure you change the results to Celsius on the right above the monthly calendar.

Thank you in advance for your sharing all along.

We are going on our 3rd Alaska cruise this summer; our first was a Princess cruise tour in 2007. I remember thinking that the food was more expensive than what we were used to in Washington, DC (which was not a cheap city). We always reserve our tours in advance because we don't want to get into a port and then not be able to take our preferred excursion. There should be not problem using credit cards.

We are going on our 3rd Alaska cruise this summer; our first was a Princess cruise tour in 2007. I remember thinking that the food was more expensive than what we were used to in Washington, DC (which was not a cheap city). We always reserve our tours in advance because we don't want to get into a port and then not be able to take our preferred excursion. There should be not problem using credit cards.

Thank you, did you book via ship or tour operator directly, i guess via tour operator, right?

Costs of meals are really dependant on what and where you eat. I would suspect at any cruise tour stop, your meals will probably be $15 on the cheap side (soup and sandwich) and $50 on the more expensive side (steak and lobster). Think of the price of eating a good restaurant in any major tourist city.

Yes, every place you visit will accept major credit cards, have a little US cash, just in case (tips, small stores, local vendors).

Tour booths depend on the port you are at. I would check here for various ports of call for the various options and costs, then decide if you want to book privately or not. Also check some of the trip info websites on tour recommendations.

Weather the end of May will be in the warm during the day and cool at night you could see higher temps and lower temps. Your Thai friend is right on the weather, tho I would guess in June it would be between 10-20c. The sun will be up real late this time of year.

I might can answer some of your questions. Food at restaurants is very expensive. I checked a menu at a restaurant in Talkeetna yesterday and the breakfast entree would be about $20.00+. In Fairbanks, a sandwich with fries started at $15.00. The temperature will probably range between mid 40's to high 70's. Yes, there will be vendors offering excursions at each port. If there is something that really interest you, I would either book through cruiseline or check on trip advisor for suggestions. Some of the ones we booked a few weeks ago have already filled up. Sorry, I can't help with details of the hotels. Look them up on Trip Advisor and look at reviews.

Thank you, did you book via ship or tour operator directly, i guess via tour operator, right?

Our first Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Whittier) we booked excursions through Princess (flightseeing in Ketchican, visiting Haines, sled dogs in Juneau, and flying over the summit of Denali while on the post cruise tour). On our second cruise (same itinerary) we booked all our tours privately (Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau, White Pass train with Chilkoot) except in Ketchikan where we walked to Saxman Village, took the bus back to town and then explored the town. On the upcoming trip (round trip Seattle) we've booked one Princess excursion (Butchart Gardens Victoria), we will do Ketchikan on our own (lumberjack show and the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center), will return to Chilkoot in Skagway for the train/van ride, and have whale watching reserved with Juneau Whale Watch (we loved Harv and Marv but on this trip we have a toddler with us and we'd have to reserve the entire boat with Harv and Marv).

Did you look at the web sites of your hotels ? most hotels will have 2 or 3 different restaurants and will post the menu for each in their web site, as well as the prices.

Usually prices in a hotel are more expensive than an independent restaurant so perhaps you will find other options within walking distance of your hotel.

I live in the Seattle area where costs are high so I don't think Alaska prices are outrageous. The portions are large though so we often share one entrée and order and extra soup or salad.

As for excursions, most travelers choose a vendor ahead of time because they are want to go with someone with a good reputation. There will be options available at the pier .... they may be as good as the well known vendors or they may be duds.

Temperatures in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest aren't predictable except within a day or 2. All you can do is look at a weather site and you'll get an idea of what's possible.

Costs of meals are really dependant on what and where you eat. I would suspect at any cruise tour stop, your meals will probably be $15 on the cheap side (soup and sandwich) and $50 on the more expensive side (steak and lobster). Think of the price of eating a good restaurant in any major tourist city.

Yes, every place you visit will accept major credit cards, have a little US cash, just in case (tips, small stores, local vendors).

Tour booths depend on the port you are at. I would check here for various ports of call for the various options and costs, then decide if you want to book privately or not. Also check some of the trip info websites on tour recommendations.

Weather the end of May will be in the warm during the day and cool at night you could see higher temps and lower temps. Your Thai friend is right on the weather, tho I would guess in June it would be between 10-20c. The sun will be up real late this time of year.

Thank you.

Cost of livings are very high. Maybe at least $60-100 for each person, i guess.

For port of calls(I wonder why call “port of calls”^^), I will be in Haines, juneau and ketchikan.

I will book White pass summit train via ship.

But the rest not yet book, just want to see my mother’s condition too.

That’s why just want to know some info from you all if any booth tour available. Some Thai said there are but they do nit care much what to do, make it easy easy, just look around and pick up one.

I might can answer some of your questions. Food at restaurants is very expensive. I checked a menu at a restaurant in Talkeetna yesterday and the breakfast entree would be about $20.00+. In Fairbanks, a sandwich with fries started at $15.00. The temperature will probably range between mid 40's to high 70's. Yes, there will be vendors offering excursions at each port. If there is something that really interest you, I would either book through cruiseline or check on trip advisor for suggestions. Some of the ones we booked a few weeks ago have already filled up. Sorry, I can't help with details of the hotels. Look them up on Trip Advisor and look at reviews.

Thank you a lot. I really appreciate any answers you give.^^

Be sure to go into Glacier Bay but most likely is already on the ship's itinerary. We did the whale watch in Juneau and the Yukon train from Skagway to Canada. Both great excursions!

Thank you.

I will be at Glacier bay.

A Thai people here said he could see only 2 whales in Juneau and was very disappointed. But i understand it could not be the same from time to time.

Our first Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Whittier) we booked excursions through Princess (flightseeing in Ketchican, visiting Haines, sled dogs in Juneau, and flying over the summit of Denali while on the post cruise tour). On our second cruise (same itinerary) we booked all our tours privately (Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau, White Pass train with Chilkoot) except in Ketchikan where we walked to Saxman Village, took the bus back to town and then explored the town. On the upcoming trip (round trip Seattle) we've booked one Princess excursion (Butchart Gardens Victoria), we will do Ketchikan on our own (lumberjack show and the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center), will return to Chilkoot in Skagway for the train/van ride, and have whale watching reserved with Juneau Whale Watch (we loved Harv and Marv but on this trip we have a toddler with us and we'd have to reserve the entire boat with Harv and Marv).

Wow, you really love Alaska. I might have only this chance there. It is too far and cost a lot. You took many flying tours that spend a lot^^

I have heard in here that people talk about Chilkoot, seem it is good.

Really want to join you boat [emoji4]

Thank you

Did you look at the web sites of your hotels ? most hotels will have 2 or 3 different restaurants and will post the menu for each in their web site, as well as the prices.

Usually prices in a hotel are more expensive than an independent restaurant so perhaps you will find other options within walking distance of your hotel.

I live in the Seattle area where costs are high so I don't think Alaska prices are outrageous. The portions are large though so we often share one entrée and order and extra soup or salad.

As for excursions, most travelers choose a vendor ahead of time because they are want to go with someone with a good reputation. There will be options available at the pier .... they may be as good as the well known vendors or they may be duds.

Temperatures in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest aren't predictable except within a day or 2. All you can do is look at a weather site and you'll get an idea of what's possible.

Thank you.

I saw some menu in the hotel but I just want to know in general mostly.

For excursions I have a ideas from cruise ship and then go to the vendors, most vendors prefer me to book with the ship like Allen Marine. I think HAL use this vendor.

Reading too much English cause me headache too^^

Here is my photo review of the McKinley Resort that includes restaurants at the Resort:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/mckinley-resort/

Since most food in Alaska tourist areas is brought from Seattle by ferry, menus reflect those transportation costs. FWIW I used the HAL Meal Plan covering four days for $299 but could have only spent $200 for very nice meals. If I walked across the street from the McKinley Resort, there was a Subway that could have saved even more.

Temps last year the first week in June at Denali started in the 40's F and up to the upper 50's in the afternoon. That means wearing layers of clothing that you can remove as the temps rise.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Here is my photo review of the McKinley Resort that includes restaurants at the Resort:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/mckinley-resort/

Since most food in Alaska tourist areas is brought from Seattle by ferry, menus reflect those transportation costs. FWIW I used the HAL Meal Plan covering four days for $299 but could have only spent $200 for very nice meals. If I walked across the street from the McKinley Resort, there was a Subway that could have saved even more.

Temps last year the first week in June at Denali started in the 40's F and up to the upper 50's in the afternoon. That means wearing layers of clothing that you can remove as the temps rise.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Thank you.

Meals offered by HAL were nice? Maybe my mom and I could not eat much, even in the ship I went with Princess in Asia last year.

What I can eat well are dessert^^but not putting too much cheese.

About temp is quite lower than what I expect. i saw in weather forecast were 40-60 f. However I will prepare.

Wow, you really love Alaska. I might have only this chance there. It is too far and cost a lot. You took many flying tours that spend a lot^^

Hahaha - like many cruisers we thought it would be our only trip to Alaska so we splurged! Subsequent Alaska trips haven't been as expensive (well, not until the upcoming cruise where we are paying for the entire family of 7). It is the one itinerary that we have repeated in our cruising history of more than 20 cruises on Princess.

I hope you and your mom will have a wonderful time!

Hahaha - like many cruisers we thought it would be our only trip to Alaska so we splurged! Subsequent Alaska trips haven't been as expensive (well, not until the upcoming cruise where we are paying for the entire family of 7). It is the one itinerary that we have repeated in our cruising history of more than 20 cruises on Princess.

I hope you and your mom will have a wonderful time!

You are also Princess fans. [emoji4]If I have chance to go there again, i would go on Princess. There are many Thai crews on there too.

Thank you.

in my experience, hotel restaurant meals are more expensive than just restaurants.

i've been to alaska a few times and only once did i see whales (in the distance) from the ship. i really wanted to see humpbacks, so i went with harv and marv on a whale-watching excursion in juneau and saw lots!

juneau and ketchikan have vendors on the pier but as mapleleaves said, you never know the quality of the tour operators or if the tour you really want has room.