What Has Changed on Carnival in 10 Years?

Hi All,

The last time I was on Carnival was 10 years ago on the Triumph. To be honest, it really wasn't for me. The shows didn't feel that great, and while the food in the MDR was just fine (and they still had the midnight buffets then!), the only real options for other food venues were the buffet, the one specialty restaurant, and the 24 hour pizza/burgers/ice cream.

Fast forward five years, and I went on the Allure with RCI for our honeymoon. Truthfully, it was a much better experience for us, and it really opened our eyes to how much the Oasis-class moved the entire industry to more paid options onboard and larger ships in general. We loved the extra dining venues (even though you had to pay for some), and the ship never felt crowded despite the number of passengers. We have sailed Oasis as well with similar results.

However, each time I book a cruise, I consider booking Carnival again, mainly because the Funship 2.0 upgrades look really interesting. From my reading, it seems that while entertainment still isn't great, the activities are catching up to RCI (ropes course, SkyRide, etc), and the included casual dining options like Guy's/BI/pasta bar/pizza/burrito bar/Mongolian grill, just blow RCI out of the water. It's super frustrating to me how hard it is to get food on RCI after 9 PM or so. You pretty much are forced to order room service (with an $8 charge, I'll add).

The perfect situation might develop in 2020 when our daughter is 2.5 YO. Royal only offers paid babysitting for that age group, but Carnival offers entire programs for free for 2 YO+ (and changes diapers too!). As such, I thought it might be a good opportunity to try Carnival again, but it's been a decade since I'm been on Carnival, so I'm hoping those who have sailed Carnival for a while could tell us what has changed since then.

Basically, my wife and I really don't like the party scene. We are sub-30, so we aren't fossils, but getting wasted isn't our idea of a good time. We love food on a cruise, and we love activities (RCI's zip line, ice skating, escape room, etc. are well liked by us). We like comedy, and that seems in good supply on Carnival where it's hard to get on RCI. It seems that Carnival's newer ships might fit the bill for us better than the older ones (mostly because of the activities and restaurants), so it would probably be Dream-class or Vista-class for us.

Carnival vets, is a Dream or Vista-class ship a good fit for us, or is Carnival largely the same experience as it was 10 years ago? Thanks so much for your experience!

I think carnival and RCI are getting more and more alike. And I think carnival has made a lot of improvements. The bigger ships have lots more activities ( try one with the 4-D thrill theater). Carnival has the Hub app now that’s really awesome too. You can view and purchase pictures, It has an interactive ships map, restaurants locations and opening times, you can view your account, and you can even text each other. And there’s lots more free places to eat. We love the free soft serve ice cream. :D

Hi All,

The last time I was on Carnival was 10 years ago on the Triumph. To be honest, it really wasn't for me. The shows didn't feel that great, and while the food in the MDR was just fine (and they still had the midnight buffets then!), the only real options for other food venues were the buffet, the one specialty restaurant, and the 24 hour pizza/burgers/ice cream.

Fast forward five years, and I went on the Allure with RCI for our honeymoon. Truthfully, it was a much better experience for us, and it really opened our eyes to how much the Oasis-class moved the entire industry to more paid options onboard and larger ships in general. We loved the extra dining venues (even though you had to pay for some), and the ship never felt crowded despite the number of passengers. We have sailed Oasis as well with similar results.

However, each time I book a cruise, I consider booking Carnival again, mainly because the Funship 2.0 upgrades look really interesting. From my reading, it seems that while entertainment still isn't great, the activities are catching up to RCI (ropes course, SkyRide, etc), and the included casual dining options like Guy's/BI/pasta bar/pizza/burrito bar/Mongolian grill, just blow RCI out of the water. It's super frustrating to me how hard it is to get food on RCI after 9 PM or so. You pretty much are forced to order room service (with an $8 charge, I'll add).

The perfect situation might develop in 2020 when our daughter is 2.5 YO. Royal only offers paid babysitting for that age group, but Carnival offers entire programs for free for 2 YO+ (and changes diapers too!). As such, I thought it might be a good opportunity to try Carnival again, but it's been a decade since I'm been on Carnival, so I'm hoping those who have sailed Carnival for a while could tell us what has changed since then.

Basically, my wife and I really don't like the party scene. We are sub-30, so we aren't fossils, but getting wasted isn't our idea of a good time. We love food on a cruise, and we love activities (RCI's zip line, ice skating, escape room, etc. are well liked by us). We like comedy, and that seems in good supply on Carnival where it's hard to get on RCI. It seems that Carnival's newer ships might fit the bill for us better than the older ones (mostly because of the activities and restaurants), so it would probably be Dream-class or Vista-class for us.

Carnival vets, is a Dream or Vista-class ship a good fit for us, or is Carnival largely the same experience as it was 10 years ago? Thanks so much for your experience!

There is no easy answer to your question. We've cruised on both RCI and Carnival, and like them both, but for different reasons. The majority of our cruises have been on Carnival. So far, there are only a couple of (Carnival) ships we've been on that I'm in no hurry to book again, but there are others that I would cruise on again and again without hesitation. While I'll admit there are some areas, such as the entertainment on Carnival, that need improvement, I still think over all that Carnival gives us the best "bang for our buck". We've been on the Breeze (Dream class), and it's one of my favorites. We've been on the Vista, and I didn't care for it. You ask "Is a Dream or Vista class ship a good fit for us?" Maybe. Maybe not. The only way to know for sure is to book a cruise on a ship in each of those classes (or any other class) and try it for yourself. Even within a specific class of ships, each ship has it's own "vibe". It's not something you can easily describe in words. It's how you feel inside when you're on the ship, and the feeling may not fully hit you until you've been on the ship for two or three days. For me, it goes one of two ways. It's either "Wow! I really like this, and I can't wait to cruise on this ship again!" or "Eh, this is okay, but it's not for me. I won't be booking this ship again any time soon." If you book a Carnival cruise, try not to constantly compare it your previous experiences on RCI, but rather judge it on its' own merits.

I've only been on RCI once, and I wasn't in awe of the ship or experience. I found the ship (Majesty of the Seas) to be older. The pool was shut down often. The ice cream wasn't Carnival and the stateroom was much smaller. I also didn't find as many on board activities as Carnival.

I've sailed Carnival 5 times and love the Comedy Shows and the variety of on board activities. My kids (15 and 7) love the kids camps on Carnival. My oldest has been sailing since she was 6/7 and loves it. Now, my youngest was 3 when she first cruised and she had terrible separation anxiety, so we really didn't utilize the camp that often. Her next cruise, she was 5 and had a much better experience.

I don't know that I'd do RCI again unless it was a newer ship. But, every cruiser has a different personality and likes different lines. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see how you like it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Feels like they've done many changes (more like tweaks), but nothing that makes me love or hate them anymore now than 10 years ago. For the most part, whatever you loved or hated about them 10 years ago is still there today. What does remain that keeps us coming back is the great bang 4 the buck factor that no one can seem to match IMO. :cool:

Up until 4 years ago we cruised Carnival on a regular basis and then we had to sit through one Playlist production and Hasbro game show,(for evening entertainment), too many and that was the end of cruising with them.

As far a best bang for the buck - I really don't think that is always the case if you shop around. I booked Allure OTS for the end of October - Boardwalk balcony, 2 included soft drink packages, lunch for 2 at Johnny Rockets, and a $100 OBC for $641 PP.,(not including taxes.)To be fair, that did include my Diamond balcony discount, but I see better prices than Carnival all the time.

Edited by mek

Lots of changes and none for the better.

Could you please elaborate? It's been a while since we cruised Carnival, so I'd like to try to set my expectations (always easier if you know beforehand).

Thanks!

Could you please elaborate? It's been a while since we cruised Carnival, so I'd like to try to set my expectations (always easier if you know beforehand).

Thanks!

Ever since Carnival did away with the live orchestra in the theater and switched to doing the Playlist Productions, the entertainment in the theater has gotten dreadful. Don't be surprised if you see people getting up and leaving before the show is even halfway over. We prefer to go to the Atrium or one of the lounges and listen to the live music being performed.

Hi

I would say that generally, your first impressions from 10 yrs. ago would be the same today.

You impressions of the RCL ships would be the same today as well. Bigger, more attractions, and maybe you have to pay more.

Some say it's not so, but if you want a cruise at a lower price, Carnival might be your better choice. If you want an amusement park, and possibly a higher price tag, then maybe RCL is still the best choice.

There are a number of other cruise lines that fit somewhere in the middle, in terms of atmosphere, price, etc..., but over time you will find that they are more similar than different. If you choose your cruise based on itinerary, schedule/timing, and price, you can't go too far wrong.

Oh yes...they have cut back on a number of things that some people consider significant. No more chocolate on your pillow, table cloths only on "elegant evenings", waiters and cabin stewards being asked to do more so they don't give as personalized service as in previous years, maybe some food items dropped from the menu, there are some "pay" room service items as well as free. I am sure there are many others (we're talking 10 yrs. now), but on my last cruise the ship still got me there, so I still had a great vacation.

have a great cruise

I think you already have a good sense of what has changed...Carnival has added lots of little things, that IMHO make cruising a better experience like Alchemy, Comedy Club and sports square for my teenage boys. We have never been, and never will be big on the shows, so that is a non-factor for us.

We come back to CCL for the value, to simply get away, explore new places. I prefer CCL to RCI because I love interacting with the staff and I think the food and service is better and more personal. But don't cruise Carnival if you want a big production show every night. Again, we don't need that and enjoy having drinks, going to comedy, walking the decks, listening to music or relaxing on our balcony. We don't need the "wow" factor or bells and whistles of RCI and our boys have plenty of fun where-ever.

Ever since Carnival did away with the live orchestra in the theater and switched to doing the Playlist Productions, the entertainment in the theater has gotten dreadful. Don't be surprised if you see people getting up and leaving before the show is even halfway over. We prefer to go to the Atrium or one of the lounges and listen to the live music being performed.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if we ever saw live orchestra on the two other cruises we've been on (I have to look at my signature now to see when they were--LOL). Although out of all the cruises (not many) we know that Carnival's shows aren't the best in terms of quality compared to RCL and MSC (personally I like RCL shows the best out of the 3 cruise lines so far).

Thanks again!