When is Caribbean Princess Scheduled for Dry Dock

blue cow dog

30 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Chief, Your knowledge is, (as always), extremely helpful. I'm curious, is this propulsion motor above or below the waterline? If it is above, is this why they have not "rushed" to put the CB into dry dock?

The motor itself is below the waterline.  Where they can make an access to get it out is the question, most likely above the waterline (Carnival changed out some bow thruster motors (again the motor is below the waterline) while at the dock in Galveston a year or so ago.  The other thing is that until the ship entered the shipyard, they could not disable the propulsion system to start removing everything that is in the way (piping, electrical cables, electrical equipment, ventilation, etc, etc), nor setting up the rigging points to move the 25 ton stator winding.  That's what they are doing now, along with other jobs that don't impact the motor repair, just to get a jump on the drydocking.  The actual cutting the hull, lifting out, lifting in, and re-welding the hull will not take that long, it is the preparations before, and the fitting up after that take most of the time.

Of course the other factor is that there is another ship in the drydock right now.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a U-tube video of one of the RCC ships having an azripod replaced, which is the motor drive for the propeller. I know some of you know that. In the video they built a cofferdam and pumped the water out to do the work. I believe in this case they will have to dry dock the ship like chen said. dry dock time is pricey so they will minimize time there. I was a welder/steamfitter in a shipyard as I said before. It was hot dirty work and long hours but I enjoyed it and learned a lot there. Went on to teach the math science and safety that goes along with the trade. Retired now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rokwldr said:

There was a U-tube video of one of the RCC ships having an azripod replaced, which is the motor drive for the propeller. I know some of you know that. In the video they built a cofferdam and pumped the water out to do the work. I believe in this case they will have to dry dock the ship like chen said. dry dock time is pricey so they will minimize time there. I was a welder/steamfitter in a shipyard as I said before. It was hot dirty work and long hours but I enjoyed it and learned a lot there. Went on to teach the math science and safety that goes along with the trade. Retired now.

Actually, the Oasis of the Seas, along with Allure, are the RCI ships you are referring to.  The cofferdams were inside the floating drydock #2, since the dock could not lift the Oasis completely out of the water, so she lifted it as much as possible, and then the cofferdams were used to provide a dry work area.  This dock just collapsed this month with Oasis in it, and reports are that it has received major damage, so the shipyard is down one drydock.  

Caribbean Princess can likely repair this motor without going into a drydock, since the wing walls of the dock are very close to the ship with a ship this size.  It may very well be done while at the lay berth she is at now.  The ship will need to be drydocked for her statutory docking and inspection, which would normally only be 2 weeks.

• Like 1

WOW, I wouldn't would not have wanted to have been welding in there when that happened. I thought I read that the Caribbean Princess needed an engine replacement. Hopefully they put the new Princess mattresses in the cabins, best ever. 

1 hour ago, rokwldr said:

WOW, I wouldn't would not have wanted to have been welding in there when that happened. I thought I read that the Caribbean Princess needed an engine replacement. Hopefully they put the new Princess mattresses in the cabins, best ever. 

Sailed on the CB in February and happy to report the new mattresses were already installed - and yes, they are :).  She's a great ship with a great crew.

4 hours ago, rokwldr said:

Not an engine but a propulsion electric motor.

• Like 1

In the post by chrysalis there is a link to exactly what our Princess cruise planner said. She also told me they have had all parts and pieces onsite and expect to complete on time. Hope this info sets everyone at ease.

Edited by rokwldr
  • Like 1