Review of Maasdam cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas, 25 March – 22 April, 2018

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We are going in a month, so I really appreciate all of the great info on the ship. Can you please tell me:

1. Do they still serve you at the Lido Buffet, as opposed to everyone serving themselves?

2. Do they still show movies in the theater, and is there still popcorn available?

3. Do they still serve hors d'oeuvres in all of the lounges before dinner?

4. Do they still have the guy with the glockenspiel ringing the chimes to call people to dinner?

5. Do they still have warm or cold drinks on the dock while you wait for the tender, if the day is cool or warm?

6. Do they still have real (although small) cloth towels in the public washrooms aboard?

7. Do they still have little cookies, pastries, etc in the coffee bar? Is the regular coffee still free?

8. Did they ever have karaoke or some kind of sing along bar on the cruise?

9. Do the stateroom stewards learn your name, and greet you in the hallway by name?

Our first and only HAL cruise was in 2002 on the Zaandam in Alaska, and I wanted to see if they still did any of the many little things that made HAL "nicer".

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We are going in a month, so I really appreciate all of the great info on the ship. Can you please tell me:

1. Do they still serve you at the Lido Buffet, as opposed to everyone serving themselves?

2. Do they still show movies in the theater, and is there still popcorn available?

3. Do they still serve hors d'oeuvres in all of the lounges before dinner?

4. Do they still have the guy with the glockenspiel ringing the chimes to call people to dinner?

5. Do they still have warm or cold drinks on the dock while you wait for the tender, if the day is cool or warm?

6. Do they still have real (although small) cloth towels in the public washrooms aboard?

7. Do they still have little cookies, pastries, etc in the coffee bar? Is the regular coffee still free?

8. Did they ever have karaoke or some kind of sing along bar on the cruise?

9. Do the stateroom stewards learn your name, and greet you in the hallway by name?

Our first and only HAL cruise was in 2002 on the Zaandam in Alaska, and I wanted to see if they still did any of the many little things that made HAL "nicer".

1. At most of the stations, such as the main and specialty food lines, salad bar and ice cream station, the staff serves you. Some things are serve yourself, such as pre-made sandwiches and bags of chips, some pre-made fruit or vegetable plates, cheese cubes, etc.

2. Yes, at least on sea days they showed movies. We did not go, but I think I remember seeing the small bags of popcorn around now and then.

3. We weren't in all the lounges, but the ones we were in had the hors d'oeuvres.

4. Yes.

5. Yes, plus sometimes cold wet towels on hot days.

6. Yes.

7. Yes on the snacks. Yes, regular coffee in the Lido is still free.

8. Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one. We were never around to notice it if they did. I have heard that the piano bar was popular at night, and it seems likely guests would sing along.

9. Yes! The HAL staff are still wonderful.

Dave

Deck 7

On deck 7 are the front office and shore excursions desk, which I did not get photos of, and a few other things, such as the photo gallery:

photo%20gallery_zpsheyhuq9y.jpg

There was also an art gallery, where art was displayed when not taken to the Ocean Bar for art auctions:

Art%20Gallery_zpsdmgiwxql.jpg

There was also what was listed as a wine-tasting bar and gourmet shop. I never saw it open, (but then I did not try to find out the hours, either). Here are a couple of photos of the space:

wine%20place%201_zpseat8cs5i.jpg

wine%20place%202_zpsbwk3rkyl.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Wajang Theater/ATK

Also on deck 7 was the Wajang Theater, which I visited only for America’s Test Kitchen things. We had been invited to a small-group hands-on session at ATK, but it sadly was cancelled due to the Code Red situation, and there wasn’t time left in the cruise to re-schedule after Code Red was lifted. But, here are some photos of the space and presentation:

ATK%201_zpsqltv6gmd.jpg

ATK%202_zpsejdayk2j.jpg

ATK%203_zpsvff7txkh.jpg

ATK%204_zps1keih54s.jpg

ATK%20seats_zpsorq9rrck.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Deck 6

The interior of deck 6 was mostly cabins, with a public space at the atrium that was used for a variety of things, such as collecting and giving us back our passports. The main thing about deck 6 was the wrap-around outside walking deck. Many of the cabins on this deck were Lanai cabins, with direct access to the outside deck, and reserved loungers. Here are a few photos:

wraparound%20deck_zpsc4v7fdwg.jpg

lower%20prom%20deck%20sign_zpsoorbfide.jpg

Lanai%20loungers_zpsgt8qre7e.jpg

That concludes Part II of my review, the photos and discussion of the ship itself. We really enjoy sailing on Maasdam. In fact, at the end of this cruise, we have totaled 469 days on HAL ships; 126 of them have been on Maasdam. When we booked this southern sojourn, we thought it might have been her last sailing as a HAL ship. It turns out that HAL has other plans, which brings up Part III of this review – printed materials.

More in the next post,

Dave

Part III – printed materials

Maasdam schedule

The Future Cruise Consultant sent around several flyers during the cruise, one of which featured future Maasdam cruises. I have posted this on another thread started by someone else earlier, and it was pointed out that at least one of the ports on one of the itineraries had been changed. But, I include the flyer here, in case you missed the previous thread, so you can see what is planned for Maasdam:

Maasdam%20cruises%201_zpsyx9dylnz.jpg

Maasdam%20cruises%202_zpscjbszaeq.jpg

I also posted an earlier thread to show the latest drink menu from the Mix. Here is the link to that thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628612

More in the next post,

Dave

Beverage events, Canaletto menu

I scanned a flyer that listed the beverage events that were scheduled during the cruise:

beverage%20events_zpspgtu30rv.jpg

Although we did not dine there, we saw a sign that said Canaletto had a new menu, so I downloaded it:

canaletto%20menu%20cropped_zpsysntawbm.jpg

Next, I will post the daily programs and dinner and dessert menus for those who want to see them.

More in the next post,

Dave

I am thoroughly enjoying this review. My wife and I getting a sneak peak of the ship, through your camera lens before we sail this summer. This will be our second time on Holland America. We were on the Amsterdam a few years ago and had a wonderful time. The smaller ships seem to be more to our liking.

Thank you so much for an extremely well-written and thorough review. I have read it with great interest as this a cruise that I have on my bucket list. The Maasdam is also one of my favorite ships. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums