Review of Maasdam cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas, 25 March – 22 April, 2018

April 22

We did not receive a When and Where, but instead we were given a Cruise Log:

Cruise%20log_zpshncnxela.jpg

We arrived in San Diego on time. We had elected to have Expedited departure (wherein we take our own bags off the ship and are the first group to go), so we debarked about 8:30, and caught a cab to the airport in plenty of time for our flight back to Seattle.

That wraps up my review of our cruise to the southern islands. We had a wonderful time, and I hope you enjoyed the review.

Thanks,

Dave

Great review - thanks for posting all the excellent info and photos. The menus look great too - we just got off the Norwegian Escape and lobster sightings were very rare. Nonexistent in the MDRs, and even the surf-and-turf in the steakhouse had shrimp.

We'll be on Maasdam during her Boston-to-Montreal itineraries and are really looking forward to it. Your itinerary looks wonderful for next year when we're retired. And when our elderly cat is no longer with us - she's too bonded to be without us for that long!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for such a detailed review with photos. We are sailing on the 2 week Polynesia Idyll Oct 28 from Papeete. Did you have any Polynesia Dancers come on board, or any deck activites geared towards the PF? I see PG does so much of this wondering if you heard when she sails on her new exc program if we will see this? Thanks for your reaponse.

Thank you for such a detailed review with photos. We are sailing on the 2 week Polynesia Idyll Oct 28 from Papeete. Did you have any Polynesia Dancers come on board, or any deck activites geared towards the PF? I see PG does so much of this wondering if you heard when she sails on her new exc program if we will see this? Thanks for your reaponse.

The EXC voyages will begin on the September 10 voyage as she makes her way from from Ft. Lauderdale to Papeete. These voyages are marketed as EXC in depth so Im assuming there will be lots of local performances. Last year when I was on the Maasdam roundtrip from Auckland, NZ there was a few times where local polynesians boarded the ship and performed.

Thank you Georgie562, Sounds like Holland 's EXC is trying to include some of the same activities as PG...fingers crossed. Hal is very slow at putting out their excursions using the zodiac, or any FP special focussed excursions for this cruise... and many stops do not even have any tours yet. I am still hoping for some unique island tours not offered by others. Hurry on Hal.

Thank you Georgie562, Sounds like Holland 's EXC is trying to include some of the same activities as PG...fingers crossed. Hal is very slow at putting out their excursions using the zodiac, or any FP special focussed excursions for this cruise... and many stops do not even have any tours yet. I am still hoping for some unique island tours not offered by others. Hurry on Hal.

I'm sorry to say but it seems that the zodiac excursions will not begin until Maasdam leaves Papeete to New Zealand?? therefore Zodiac excursions may not be available for you your sailing. See this link and scroll to the bottom comments section:

Q: I am booked on the 48 Day September 18 sailing

Will Zodiacs be in use to visit the Henderson &Pitcairn Islands?

A: The zodiac operations will begin after departing French Polynesia.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/arts-entertainment/new-exc-in-depth-voyages-feature-zodiac-excursions-for-up-close-discovery/

Edited by Georgie562

The EXC voyages will begin on the September 10 voyage as she makes her way from from Ft. Lauderdale to Papeete. These voyages are marketed as EXC in depth so Im assuming there will be lots of local performances. Last year when I was on the Maasdam roundtrip from Auckland, NZ there was a few times where local polynesians boarded the ship and performed.

Our EXC voyage has about 19 sea days (out of 41) and leaves most ports before dinner. So we are wondering how they plan on filling the evenings. In the past, local performances only happened with later departures or an overnight. We do understand that the entire concept is still a "work in process" but it will be interesting (we hope) so see how HAL fills all those evenings without having any production shows.

Hank

Thank you for your in-depth review.

We've never sailed on HAL, but have done 23 cruises.

I have a question: one of your pictures shows "reserved" loungers on the Promenade. Reserved?? How do you go about reserving a lounger? Is it for the entire cruise or something you have to do daily? Is there a charge?

TIA:D

Thank you for your in-depth review.

We've never sailed on HAL, but have done 23 cruises.

I have a question: one of your pictures shows "reserved" loungers on the Promenade. Reserved?? How do you go about reserving a lounger? Is it for the entire cruise or something you have to do daily? Is there a charge?

TIA:D

you have to book a Lanai cabin, they have sliding doors open to the deck and two loungers per cabin.

Rosalyn

• 6 months later...