Review of Maasdam cruise to Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas, 25 March – 22 April, 2018

Great review and photos. Bring back great memories. We did this tour in 2008 & 2010 and go back to Moorea on the Eurodam in 2019.

Did you have a guide named Terry on the Motu tour in Moorea?

I'm sorry, I did not catch or don't remember our guide's name.

Dave

Fakarava, April 13

Fakarava is a flat atoll in an area of atolls east of Tahiti. Here are the port guide pages:

Fakarava%201_zpsq5red1jr.jpg

Fakarava%202_zps0csx2wyb.jpg

Maasdam entered through a break in the atoll early morning. There was quite a current rushing out of the lagoon into the open ocean, and it took a while for the ship to maneuver into the lagoon and to our anchorage. Here is a photo of the atoll as we passed into the lagoon:

Entering%20Fakarava%20lagoon_zpsqvpcnmnv.jpg

The only ship shore excursions offered were diving or snorkeling. We are not qualified divers, and by the time we decided to book the snorkeling tour, it was sold out. We later learned that the snorkel trip went outside the atoll with the rough waters of the passage, and that the snorkel site had a pretty good current as well. We are experienced snorkelers, but not as strong as we once were, and were glad we decided to forgo the sport at Fakarava.

We waited a bit to avoid the rush, but wanted to go ashore early enough before the heat built. So, we caught a tender mid-morning and went ashore. The tender landing was a bit east of the main part of the town. There were some vendors and a visitor’s info center at the landing area, and a welcoming musical group:

Welcome%20to%20Fakarava_zpsqsgwf9ri.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Fakarava (Cont.)

There was a craft center and outdoor tables of wares, but we decided first to walk to and about the village and check out the items when we came back.

So, we set off west on the road leading along the shore from the tender landing. This was the main, and almost only, road on the island.

walking%20the%20main%20road_zpsu7fdabgs.jpg

We walked past a beach near the tender landing, where islanders were swimming and, it looked like, snorkeling in the lagoon.

beach%20near%20tender%20port_zps17je1lb2.jpg

I also took a photo of Maasdam in the lagoon, framed by palms.

Maasdam%20at%20anchor%20Fakarava_zpsrwldjz28.jpg

Fakarava was more prosperous than Fanning Island, possibly because the main industry is cultivating black pearls instead of harvesting seaweed and coconuts, and/or possibly also the subsidies from the French government. In any case, there was a range of houses from modest to quite nice actually.

Fakarava%20house_zpszb8dnmyf.jpg

house%20and%20garden_zps6vufutdh.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Fakarava (Cont.)

At a point about a half-mile/800 meters from the tender landing, we turned off the see the cemetery originally for the missionaries that came to the island. The cemetery was closed, but I was able to get a photo over the low wall.

Fakarava%20cemetery_zpsyaphwyvg.jpg

We then went back to the main road and to the nearby church. It had a surprisingly ornate interior, with a beautiful altar.

Fakarava%20church_zpskshhy2bb.jpg

church%20interior_zpskiorzazo.jpg

church%20altar_zpscfulmert.jpg

At the rear of the church was an outdoor chapel, which was being used by some people for quiet prayer as we passed on the side road from the cemetery. We went back to it a bit later when it was empty, and found it be, again, surprisingly beautiful, especially with all the strings of shells that decorated it.

outdoor%20chapel_zpsx7je25iu.jpg

The church and chapel were real finds, and we enjoyed the opportunity to visit them.

More in the next post,

Dave

Fakarava (Cont.)

We returned to the landing area, and checked out some of the tables of goods, mostly featuring the black pearls.

black%20pearls_zpsmt1xmnmc.jpg

We then went to the craft center and went inside, where there were more tables selling handicrafts, many also featuring black pearls.

handicraft%20market_zpsl5ka46is.jpg

market%20interior_zpsffgcuyc1.jpg

DW bought one of the necklaces with a black pearl set in a rosette of mother-of-pearl for U.S. $20, so it was not a gem quality pearl but still very nice. We had purchased French Polynesian francs from the Maasdam front office before our first port call in French Polynesia, but had run out. We did find that, while the francs were welcomed, most of the shops and vendors we saw had prices listed in francs and dollars, and would take either. A small grocery or baker probably would not have.

By then we had drunk all our water and the heat was getting worse, so we took a tender back to Maasdam for a cold drink and air conditioning.

Next, off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas,

Dave

Nuku Hiva, April 15

We had a day at sea between Fakarava and Nuku Hiva island, in the Marquesas Islands. Here are the port guide pages:

Nuku%20Hiva%20guide%201_zpssfrrhlfo.jpg

Nuku%20Hiva%20guide%202_zpskw9tqtsh.jpg

We arrived in early morning and anchored off the town of Taiohae, at the southern part of the island.

Taiohae%201_zpsngnqzbmr.jpg

Taiohae%202_zpsnvwuzd4u.jpg

Taiohae%203_zpsr6sgc07r.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Nuku Hiva (Cont.)

The only shore excursion offered by the ship was a scenic drive of Taipivai Valley, in extended cab pickups mostly. The posted weight limit was 210 or 220 pounds, depending on which description you read. Since I weigh a few stone more than that, the excursion was not an option for me. DW decided she didn’t really want to go bumping along steep and winding roads, either. So, we thought we would just go ashore for a bit.

As before, we waited for a while to avoid the rush on the tenders and because we didn’t think much would be open on a Sunday morning. About 10, we started to go ashore, when a sudden downpour drenched the island and the ship. It passed in a few minutes, but left behind a hot and muggy atmosphere.

We had looked at the port guide and seen that there wasn’t much to see besides a fish market, and we were not really looking to buy any fish. We had thought to go to the cathedral which sounded interesting, but then we remembered it was Sunday and figured the people celebrating mass would not appreciate tourists wandering about. And, we had experienced many hot and muggy tender rides in previous ports. So, the bottom line is we just stayed aboard Maasdam and enjoyed the views. Here are some photos:

Nuku%20Hiva%201_zpsjfquxloc.jpg

Nuku%20Hiva%202_zpsigetbl9g.jpg

Nuku%20Hiva%203_zpsag0gc54t.jpg

That ends the first part of my review, since there were no more ports until we arrived in San Diego the following Sunday. Next, I will do Part II, with photos of areas and spaces around Maasdam.

Dave

Part II – The ship

General things:

- The internet was the packages-of-minutes deal, with no recent price changes – I got a package of 1,000 minutes for $250 (minus 5-star discount and promotional deal from the Explore 4 package). The internet was the usual slow shipboard speeds, but I almost never encountered a time when I could not get connected, even at remote areas.

- The ship had some minor wear, and there were occasions when workmen were busy with something fairly minor, but overall, Maasdam is in pretty good condition. We had thought this cruise was to have been her last one with HAL before it was sold, but it seems HAL is now turning this into a ship with a focus on specialty cruises. Some of the upcoming Maasdam cruises seem very interesting, and are being advertised as providing in-depth insights to the places and cultures.

For photos of the ship, I will work mainly from topside down. I tried to keep from getting other passengers in my photos in such a way as they would be recognizable. Often, that meant taking photos early in the morning, when the lighting may not have been full or the decks still wet from when the crew washed them down.

First up is the observation deck, over the Crow’s Nest. I was not there when there would have been people sunning themselves, but the photos show the area. We do not lie in the sun much, so I don’t know how much this area was used.

observation%20deck_zpsqi7gqrnx.jpg

observation%20deck%202_zpsnnga9igl.jpg

On deck 12, there was a jogging track around the Lido dome. On the starboard side of the track, there was a painted shuffleboard playing area.

jogging%20track%20port%20side_zpsp9ssbbpd.jpg

jogging%20shuffleboard_zpsx6fbaygq.jpg

On the starboard side, there were loungers and a smoking area:

loungers%20and%20smoking%20area%20outside%20CN_zpsrn32h6yl.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Crow’s Nest

I was relieved to see that the Crow’s Nest had not been changed except for some different chairs. I know that Copper 10-8 told us that the S and R class ships would not be subjected to the EXC modifications, for which I am thankful. The new loungers were comfortable and not too low to the ground, as were some of the arm chairs. Others were a bit too low for my taste, but others found them useful.

Crows%20Nest%20entry%20wall_zpselhx0jzx.jpg

CN%20lounge%20chairs_zpsbqa3qx86.jpg

CN%20bow%20chairs_zpsqzcorwxv.jpg

CN%20starboard%20chairs_zpsy79dilfk.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

This review is bringing back so many memories of our 22 Day cruise on the Maasdam in November.

Man what a great itinerary it was and will forever be as one of my favorite cruises. The Maasdam is a great ship. Thanks for the photos.

Crow’s Nest (Cont.)

The large bar was still there, and the bandstand/dance floor.

CN%20bar_zps2nueqlzk.jpg

CN%20bandstand%20and%20dance%20floor_zpsdgygu1vj.jpg

They even still had the garish couches on either side. These are comfortable, and many times I saw a group of people knitting and doing embroidery. But, it does not make for flexible seating.

CN%20seating%20starboard_zpsczzh6jqq.jpg

CN%20seating%20port_zpsbcpj4cq0.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Thanks for posting the great photos of your ports of call, which will give us an idea on what to see & do when we do our cruise next year. We were on the Maasdam doing the Amazon two years ago & it brings back fond memories.

Allan

Gym and spa

Moving to deck 11, forward, here are a few shots of the gym:

gym%201_zpswlrswjjm.jpg

gym%202_zps3dvpstql.jpg

gym%203_zpszhacgrdp.jpg

To the port side of the gym is an area with mats for yoga, stretching, etc. A door from there leads to an outside observation deck which is useful sometimes, especially when pulling into port. It seems I did not get a photo of this deck; I’ve noticed some gaps like that in my files, but I hope I have covered most of the spaces.

Also forward on deck 11 is the Greenhouse Spa. I did not get photos of many of the spa areas, but here are shots of a room on the starboard side:

spa%202_zpsv2ek7g6i.jpg

spa%201_zps2hisefvx.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Lido Canaletto area

I don’t have pictures of it set for Canaletto dinner, but part of the Lido Market is Canaletto. Here are some photos when it was set for regular Lido breakfast.

Canaletto%20sign_zpsjh3rysa1.jpg

Canaletto%20area%20at%20breakfast_zpsdhlihdak.jpg

Canaletto%20set%20for%20breakfast_zpsuxc4hniu.jpg

Aft of the Lido Market is a small outside deck with some tables and chairs, and some loungers.

Lido%20deck%20aft_zpsecrq8kdv.jpg

Lido%20loungers%20aft%202_zps59adfso0.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Thank you for sharing your adventure and all the great photos. Will you post any stateroom photos? We are booked on her for the fall Tahiti trip, sadly they removed Fakarava from our itinerary. It looks lovely, good to know about the snorkelling and currents.

Sea View pool and bar

The only public spaces on deck 10 are the Seaview pool and the bar, which is another smoking area. I took a lot of photos of the pool incidental to the Crossing of the Equator, but here are some other shots of it and the bar area, including one take from deck 12 that shows tables and loungers aft of the Lido as well as the Seaview pool:

Seaview%20pool_zpsch8uompn.jpg

Seaview%20pool_zpsafsg1gax.jpg

Seaview%20deck%201_zpsylcyszz4.jpg

Seaview%20bar_zpsgc3bebby.jpg

Seaview%20smoking%20area_zpslohxns6h.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Cabin 180

Deck 9 is all almost cabins, with a launderette and a back deck as the only public spaces. It was the deck where our cabin was, #180, which we ask for whenever we book on Maasdam.

Here are some photos of cabin 180:

Cabin%20180%20_%201_zpsnxqg9bc2.jpg

Cabin%20180%20_%202_zpsfv7aptlc.jpg

Cabin%20180%20_%203_zpsfkediw5k.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave