QM2 Arrival in NYC on my 50th Birthday!

Phil50

The hours for the gym on QM2 are stated in the daily programme as 6:00am to 8:00pm. The Cunard UK FAQ states "The gym is typically open from 8am - 8pm every day." But I believe the 6:00am opening time as stated in the daily programme is correct based on other posts I've read on this forum.

Very surprised that the gym is open at 6am seeing that there are cabins on the deck below. Wouldnt be happy if I was in one of those cabins and people were using jogging machines or jumping about from 6am.

Just reading the thread HH put a link to and it seems that you can register for this tour on the first morning after the ship departs port. Our crossing from Southampton actually starts in Hamburg so I’m hoping it’ll still be the case that they will be available on OUR first morning???

Yes. It will be the first morning of that segment of the trip. You’ll really enjoy it. It’s well worth the wait, standing around at the tour desk! I was just as excited about it. I did the touron my third trip on QM2. Enjoy your trip...I can’t think of a better way to start my birthday than standing at the top of the QM2 going underneath the Verrazano bridge into the NY Harbour! I will be a few weeks behind you on 4th November for trip 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations on your 50th Phil. We'll be on the same cruise. It's our first time on QM2 and first visit to NY. We booked the cruise 18 months ago to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, so very special for us too. Hopefully we can all meet at meet and greet which is currently being arranged.

Phil, if you are returning to the UK aboard the QM2 on Oct. 25th, I hope I run into you on board and have the opportunity to buy you and your lady a celebratory birthday drink. It's my first time on the QM2 myself and am looking forward to it. I'm frankly a bit jealous that you shall have been in the company of the National Symphony. If I had researched the schedule better, I could have booked Southampton to NY and return.

Congratulations on your upcoming milestone birthday, Phil (how is it that I missed this thread?).

Here a little video I took on QM2 while passing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge 3 or 4 years ago. It's worth getting up for - I think this was around 4:45 AM.

Yes. It will be the first morning of that segment of the trip. You’ll really enjoy it. It’s well worth the wait, standing around at the tour desk! I was just as excited about it. I did the touron my third trip on QM2. Enjoy your trip...I can’t think of a better way to start my birthday than standing at the top of the QM2 going underneath the Verrazano bridge into the NY Harbour! I will be a few weeks behind you on 4th November for trip 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Yes I’m looking forward to the early start that morning!

Congratulations on your 50th Phil. We'll be on the same cruise. It's our first time on QM2 and first visit to NY. We booked the cruise 18 months ago to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, so very special for us too. Hopefully we can all meet at meet and greet which is currently being arranged.

Thank you. We booked it in November 2016 so it’s been a really long wait, but I’m certain it’ll be worth it. We’ve been to NYC before but like you this is our first ever cruise.

See you onboard!

Phil, if you are returning to the UK aboard the QM2 on Oct. 25th, I hope I run into you on board and have the opportunity to buy you and your lady a celebratory birthday drink. It's my first time on the QM2 myself and am looking forward to it. I'm frankly a bit jealous that you shall have been in the company of the National Symphony. If I had researched the schedule better, I could have booked Southampton to NY and return.

That is very king of you indeed!! Unfortunately we’re not coming back on it. We’re having 5 days in NYC then 3 in DC, then flying back.

Have a wonderful trip back across the pond.

Congratulations on your upcoming milestone birthday, Phil (how is it that I missed this thread?).

Here a little video I took on QM2 while passing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge 3 or 4 years ago. It's worth getting up for - I think this was around 4:45 AM.

Wow!! Thanks Peter. I was watching that thinking, yeah it’s quite close but then when you turned round and showed the funnel coming through - that was REALLY close!!!

There didn’t seem to be many people on deck? I’m going to be on deck about 0330 knowing me - I’m an early bird anyway and regularly have to get up at that time for work, so I can certainly manage it to watch the lights of NYC coming into view.

Think I might need a little power nap by the time we get to the hotel though :)

There didn’t seem to be many people on deck? I’m going to be on deck about 0330 knowing me - I’m an early bird anyway and regularly have to get up at that time for work, so I can certainly manage it to watch the lights of NYC coming into view. :)

Bear in mind that when I come into New York it's usually January 3 ( returning from the Caribbean). :)

The weather was OK when I recorded the video, but in 2018 it was cold!

There's a raised platform in the middle of the top deck just ahead of the smokestacks. It can gather a (small) crowd in good weather and that's where I took the video. You get a good view in all directions from there and the stack looks extremely close to the bridge from that vantage point.

Thank you all for your advice and comments on this thread! Reads as if we all have a lot of celebrating milestones on this crossing....Happiest of early birthday wishes to Phil50 and Philsuarez's daughter....And Firstmate63 - we too are using this adventure to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at sea. Look forward to meeting you all on board and dancing the nights away.

These next few weeks will race along....I have to take a deep breath and remember as my husband says - "Passport? Am Ex card? You're set. Stop stressing about forgetting anything." OH just don't forget to have him along with me too!

Sheryl and Roger

PS Phil50 - I'm not seeing you on the roll call for the cruise? We're just doing westbound ourselves. Do check it out - Queen Mary 2 October 18-November 1 2018 - Transatlantic Roundtrip

..Happiest of early birthday wishes to Phil50 and Philsuarez's daughter....And Firstmate63 - we too are using this adventure to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at sea...

PS Phil50 - I'm not seeing you on the roll call for the cruise? We're just doing westbound ourselves. Do check it out - Queen Mary 2 October 18-November 1 2018 - Transatlantic Roundtrip

Thank you Sheryl. Congratulations on your milestone anniversary too. We’ve booked QV to the Baltic’s for our 25th next year.

I forgot about the roll call - will do it now

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hattie & Ged. Had an absolutely amazing time on board QM2!!! Arriving in NYC on my 50th was better than I could have expected too. 

Will put my thoughts/tips as a first time cruiser on here soon. 

• Like 1