Norwegian Sun Refit

Cap N

Staterooms: new mattresses, carpeting, artwork, curtains and throw pillows. New bedside lighting with USB port.

Not sure what they could do with bathrooms that didn’t require a total tear out. However they were clean. That’s my main thing. And I loved having virgin carpeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could you elaborate on the Key West disembark? TIA.

Can't speak to the cruise last week. But NCL uses a dock on the Navy base. You have to use shuttles off/on the base (which is not near the touristy areas). Last time we were there, despite repeated reminders to carry picture IDs, several people didn't have or could not find their IDs when the Navy guards checked the bus. So we had to sit and wait for the Navy personnel to verify the identities of those people (we assumed that they had the ship email security photos of those people,,, but don't know that for a fact).

Can someone elaborate on the hairdryers? 2 girls cruising on the Sun in 10 days and thought that would be one thing I didn't have to bring - can get 1 more pair of sandals in then! It's just a 3 day, so was hoping to do only carry-on rolling suitcase and no hairdryer.

I would be grateful to know thoughts and opinions on the refurbished Norwegian Sun from anyone who has sailed on the ship since its April dry dock and refit.

Putting aside the terrible situation that many experienced due to the construction that took place on the cruises prior to the Sun's dry dock, I would appreciate knowing about the work accomplished, the changes and improvements and the shape of the ship now. For example, what if any refurbishments were done to the staterooms?

My wife and I are experienced cruisers but we have not ever sailed on Norwegian or a ship as old as the Sun. We are currently deciding which cruise to take this year so any information or photos you can share will be most helpful.

Thank you in advance.

We just sailed her for the first time last week and we mostly sailed princess, royal and carnival. We we're pleasantly surprised how nice she was, small but it was a short cruise so it was nice to relax. Our cabin was on deck 7 which we loved because we would go to the lounge down from our cabin to have a drink before and after dinner. Would book her again .

Jstcruizin - where did you go? Bahamas or Cuba?

Can someone elaborate on the hairdryers? 2 girls cruising on the Sun in 10 days and thought that would be one thing I didn't have to bring - can get 1 more pair of sandals in then! It's just a 3 day, so was hoping to do only carry-on rolling suitcase and no hairdryer.

Bring your own!!! IMG_2871.JPG.1b276ddce90ecdac0980aa94c5654af9.JPG

WTH is that?!? From the photo, I wouldn't think it was a hairdryer! clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

It kinda sorta is.

It does blow hot air.

But it gets hot in your hand. I found a Walgreens at my second port just so I could buy a small travel dryer

Lose the sandals and take a hair dryer . That’s JMO.

WTH is that?!? From the photo, I wouldn't think it was a hairdryer! clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

LOL!!! It’s a blow dryer from many years ago. I would sacrifice the sandals and take a blow dryer without hesitation! You won’t miss the extra shoes but you will miss a half decent hair dryer! [emoji12]

I think I have a small foldable one. Maybe I can put it with the sandals - best of both worlds!

I suppose I could also just shower and then go stand up on deck and artfully move my head around until I have it all blown out. Then go style and spray it!!! Windblown beachy style! clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678

Thank you all for the "heads" up!

Key West debark was a disaster. Because they use the Navy pier, no walking. They tried to issue tickets for the shuttle at 11 am. The line was completely around the pool, in the hot sun. After waiting for our tickets & having lunch, we went to Bliss to wait for our number to be called. When they called our number we left the ship only to end up in another hot sunny long line for the shuttles to return.

We did have a standard hair dryer with a 220v plug that worked in the vanity outlet, in the vanity drawer. The circular shower curtain & bathroom layout was not nearly as nice as the Dawn/Star or the big guys Breakaway & Escape.

FWIW and it is old information that may no longer be accurate, but when we lived in Key West, passengers never knew which of the piers in Key West would be used for their ship. If you were lucky you docked at Mallory Square which made for a simple walkoff and you were a couple of blocks from the west end of Duval Street. Or, you docked at the navy pier and had to be transported through the base and into town.

I guess I’m posting to say that while it is certainly inconvenient it may not be Norwegian’s fault as the transportation is provided by the City (using one of the tour companies-it was the Conch Train back in the day) as part of the service they provided for the $3 pp (or whatever) they charged as the port charge. And of course you might get lucky and end up at the closer pier. I’m not sure how it is decided who docks where other than that they only allow a couple of port calls a year to stay at Mallory Square past sunset. This keeps that celebration from being ruined to the many who are there each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how it is decided who docks where other than that they only allow a couple of port calls a year to stay at Mallory Square past sunset. This keeps that celebration from being ruined to the many who are there each day.

I suspect that sunset line is the deal breaker. The NCL ships leave at 8pm which is past sunset, so presumably that's why they don't use Mallory. http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/egov/documents/1524163051_84538.htm