Venice cruise port question

LFLcruiser2

Can anyone give us information about the Venice cruise port? (the port where a large RC ship would be docked). We have heard it's not possible to walk off the ship with our luggage. Do we take a bus? If so, where are we dropped off? We are wondering where we would meet our private driver. Also, how long does this process of getting off the ship til the time we would meet our driver take? We aren't sure what to give for a pick up time. The ship arrives in port at 6:45.

Like your last thread, reading on the Italy board will get you a lot of info. Large RC ships will dock at the Venice Passenger Terminal. Taking along at Google Maps shows a ship at the pier, and the large amount of roads in the area.

It has been a few years since I was last there. We always used the cruise xfer to the airport. Bus is very near the terminal. Taxi stands were also near as were the private car pickups. I cannot give you much info about the amount of time it takes to leave the ship because it has been so long since we were there. Anything I say is likely to be out of date.

Have fun.

I will try and help. Venice is a medium size port with several terminal buildings, but most of the cruise ships use one particular terminal (not too far from the port entrance). The ships can be docked at some distance from the terminal and there are always free internal port buses which do not run often enough for most cruisers. The buses can get you to the terminal building or nearby the People Mover (and elevated rail line that takes folks over to the Piazale Roma for 1.5€. The walking distance from a ship's docking position to the terminal (luggage pick up point) varies depending on where you are docked. It can be a 10 min walk...or it could be a 20+ min walk. Most will opt for the free shuttle buses.

Disembarkation can vary somewhat according to the cruise line and docking position. But some lines will not let you take off your own luggage because there is simply not enough room on the shuttle buses for both humans and luggage. So, some cruise ships may not allow express disembarkation and everyone may have to retrieve their luggage from the terminal building. Private Drivers will normally be waiting outside the terminal. I cannot predict how soon you would be off the ship, have your luggage, and be ready for a driver. With a 6:45 arrival you probably would be wise to arrange for a pick-up no earlier than 9. Personally, when we arrange for any kind of pick-ups in Europe we always ask if we can be e-mailed (or texted) the phone number of our driver. We can then keep them posted of our progress via text or a phone call (assuming no language barrier).

Hank