First time taster cruise...what to expect?

Kay159

Booked the 2 day Royal Experience on Independence out of Southampton this tuesday for myself, my daughter and my grandson who is nearly 2

Always wanted to do a cruise but wanted to see if its our thing before commiting to something longer

Has anyone done this cruise and if so have you still got the cruise compass

We're interested in the shows available, whether the Windjammer ia open both evenings and what time breakfast is served and what time we have to leave on the last day

We travel to Le Harvrw and fancied ahornfleir but its not available online atm. Will there be places to book on board

Also if we cant get on that trip can we stay on the ship and will all the restaurants and activities be available

Sorry for all the questions

Booked the 2 day Royal Experience on Independence out of Southampton this tuesday for myself, my daughter and my grandson who is nearly 2

Always wanted to do a cruise but wanted to see if its our thing before commiting to something longer

Has anyone done this cruise and if so have you still got the cruise compass

We're interested in the shows available, whether the Windjammer ia open both evenings and what time breakfast is served and what time we have to leave on the last day

We travel to Le Harvrw and fancied ahornfleir but its not available online atm. Will there be places to book on board

Also if we cant get on that trip can we stay on the ship and will all the restaurants and activities be available

Sorry for all the questions

Careful, you may get hooked. [emoji16]

Haven't done this type of taster, but have sailed on the Indy a couple of times and back on board in June.

The Windjammer is always open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is as good as in the MDR, often the same dishes, but with additional choices. Breakfast is usually available from about 6.30 or 7.00, depending if the ship is at sea or docked early.

Last disembarkation is usually about 9.30am, but you need to be out of your cabin by 8am. New guests will be boarding from 10.30 or 11.00am.

Honfleur is a lovely little town very cute and great for strolling around with the benefit of only a short bus ride.

If you stay on board everything will be open except the MDR which normally doesn't open for lunch when in port.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip and welcome to the world of cruising.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

This is truly "just a taste"...it's not going to feel like a longer cruise. You are likely to have many folks partying, trying to fit a weeks worth of "fun" into a very short time.

That said, the daily offerings will be about the same as on any cruise. All of the restaurants, bars, activities, etc...will be up and running.

On the last morning, they want the ship cleared by 10am or earlier. Consider the cruise over when you go to bed on the last night. Breakfast will be earlier than normal, and they want you out of the cabin by 8-8:30am.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! What a great way for three generations to spend a couple of days together. Just my opinion, but you will really not get the real feel of a cruise in 2 short days, but hopefully the cruising bug will bite you in the arse and you will book a longer cruise! Good luck and have a great time.:cool:

the Indy is very popular with us Brits...thats why shes been visiting Southampton in the Spring/Summer season for over 8 years.Shes just been dry docked so will have the feel of a new ship and she represents the large ship side of cruising with all the bells and whistles like slides and escape rooms etc so don't expect every ship to have as much!

We sailed on her 2 years ago on a 7 day and loved her. As we sailed from Southampton in spring season she was mainly full of British passengers and all had a good time. Don't miss the party on the Promenade (middle part of the ship). These cruises will have a lot of partiers as its short so they will be lively!

If you search cruise compass Southampton for the ship it will give you an idea. You will have a welcome aboard show on the first night which will usually have 2 shows.

You mentioned the windjammer buffet/dining room but there is also a pizza parlour and sandwich snack place (hot and cold) on the promenade that are both free. We always went there after shows and drinks in the evening for supper. If you fancy other eats that don't break the bank Johnny rockets is only $8/£6 per person for all you can eat in US Diner fare...delicious!

Understand that this "taste" won't have typical daily experiences of a longer cruise.

Many will be trying to do everything they can onboard a longer cruise , all at once, and/or treating it as 1 big party .

Also you will experience the 2 worse days of a cruise , embarkation and debarkation ,

just a day apart.

Come back and let us know how it "tasted"?

Along the lines of what others are saying, a very short cruise like this does not give you the experience of settling into shipboard life and experiencing the full cruise experience. It will give you an idea of what a cruise ship can be like, but do consider going on a longer (7 day+) cruise to get a better feel for what cruising is all about.