Zaandam at Icy Strait Point - 5-12-18

Rowsby

Nice photo. How is Icy Straight Point? What did you do there.?

My family is on this cruise and my son just posted this photo.....it's a fairly new dock and there is a nice museum in the red buildings....and I've heard there is a zipline somewhere.....:)

Great picture. Thank you for sharing it.

We have been there a few times -- when we had to tender ashore.

Yes there is a nice museum there which also contains a few shops.

We did the whale watching excursion twice -- loved it. There is also a bear watch excursion. A bus you can take into Hoonah -- not free.

Yes there is a ziprider -- they claim it is the world's largest one.

When we were there last there was a restaurant, a lobster shack a place to watch native dancing.

Summer, 2017 on the Amsterdam: my visit here was an unexpected delight. The red buildings contain and interesting array of local shops and historical exhibits of the salmon cannery that used to operate there. The tour I took included an interesting tribal dance performance that described the tribal heritage of the area and a tram tour of the near-by rain forest. Even got to see salmon jumping in the waterway as they headed upstream!

I didn't expect much when I saw the port on the itinerary and debated as to whether to disembark that morning. Surely glad that I did!

The Holland America site lists this and Sitka as tender ports. The picture seems to show that you did use the dock. Did you actually dock as the picture suggests?

Yes...the Zaandam was at the dock....both Icy Strait Point and Sitka have docks....you would only need to tender if there were more than one ship that day at the port.....and they docked before you.....:)

Yes...the Zaandam was at the dock....both Icy Strait Point and Sitka have docks....you would only need to tender if there were more than one ship that day at the port.....and they docked before you.....:)

Thanks. I thought the Zandaam docked but Ha claimed they did not on the phone even when I pointed out the port schedule indicated we were the only ship in port that day