HAL "gala" dress guidelines look like RCCI's "smart casua"l guidelines.

OlsSalt

HAL "gala" guidelines look like RCCI's smart casual guidelines.

According to the LA Time travel section, RCCI more specifically identifies its dress guidelines, including keeping formal night formal as "black tie best".

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

• Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

• Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

That's what the dress code says, but anyone who has sailed on RCI or who participates on the board knows that on formal nights most passengers aim for smart casual at best. Unlike some other lines, RCI simply hasn't updated its policy to reflect reality aboard its ships.

And on HAL on many of the cruises, HAL passengers know what "Gala" really means and dresses up in formal wear for the evening. The HAL guidelines are for those looking for the lowest common denominator or are use to freeslob cruising.

No matter whether we have been on 14 or 21 day cruises, very, very few people dressed up for Gala nights -- not even in the specialty restaurants.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dressed up" so I apologize if we are talking about two different things. On all of our cruises (and yes, I mean all of the 7 and 10 day cruises, too), people "dressed up" beyond the minimum Gala Night recommendations -- the vast majority of men had jackets on or at least ties with their dress shirts. Yes, there were men in trousers and collared shirts, to be sure, but maybe 25% versus the men who "dressed up".

I don't wear fancy dresses like I used to, but you can definitely tell from my choice of clothing that it is a Gala Night and not a smart casual evening wherever we dine that night.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dressed up" so I apologize if we are talking about two different things. On all of our cruises (and yes, I mean all of the 7 and 10 day cruises, too), people "dressed up" beyond the minimum Gala Night recommendations -- the vast majority of men had jackets on or at least ties with their dress shirts. Yes, there were men in trousers and collared shirts, to be sure, but maybe 25% versus the men who "dressed up".

I don't wear fancy dresses like I used to, but you can definitely tell from my choice of clothing that it is a Gala Night and not a smart casual evening wherever we dine that night.

Just off s. pacific cruise and I totally agree.