Fjords cruise - sail aways, dinners & shows...oh my

Hi,

We will be going on a Norwegian Fjords cruise next month. Our plans are in place, except for...dinner. I'd like to make some dining reservation times if possible (I know the grabbing something at the buffet is always an option, but it would be nice to have a sit-down dinner.)

Another consideration is what time would the evening show be? Is there more than one? Is there something that is not to be missed - in particular something that would relate to a port that we would be visiting? Any info on that would also be helpful.

I am worried about missing sail aways. I've noted info that I have found (correct me if I'm wrong.

Our Serenade of the Seas itinerary is:

1. embark Copenhagen: About an hour after leaving Copenhagen, you’ll sail by Helsingor, Denmark at a very narrow section of water. If you look to the west (port/left) you’ll see Kronborg/Castle Elsinore.

2. cruising

3. Geiranger - 1-1/2 to the mouth - 5 hrs in total

4. cruising Arctic circle

5. Tromso

6. Honningsvag

7. cruising

8. Alesund - no more than an hour

9. Flam

10. Bergen - probably less than an hour

11. cruising

12. Copenhagen

I initially posted this on the Northern Europe boards, where "CruiserBruce" was kind enough to point out I should put this on the Royal Caribbean boards.

Thanking all cruise criticers (?) for all the info I've gathered here over the years...priceless!

Thank you for any/all assistance that can be given,

Jane.

Do you have MTD. If so you don't need reservations for the dining room. You can also look at the compass the night before and decide when you might want to eat dinner the next day and call for reservations. They usually have the compass in your room fairly early in the evening for the next day.

On that ship, shows are scheduled around the 2 traditional seating times. If you have MTD, you can eat around one of those times, you can make the show of your choice. Reservations aren't required for MTD. Early seating (traditional) sees the AFTER DINNER show. Late seating goes to the BEFORE DINNER show. Both shows are the same.

There may be some "late-night" show which start after all dinner service is finished...around 10:30 or so.

Do you have MTD. If so you don't need reservations for the dining room. You can also look at the compass the night before and decide when you might want to eat dinner the next day and call for reservations. They usually have the compass in your room fairly early in the evening for the next day.

Thank you Keksie,

That is what we usually do when there are only 2 or 4 of us, the wait if any is not too bad. This time, we are a group of 6 and I thought that might be a bit more difficult without a longer wait. Once we are on the ship, I can always cancel or change according to what is going on, but I'd like to have something in place to begin with.

Jane.

The scenery is beautiful throughout this cruise, not just at Sail Away. You'll want to be able to see it all but you can't. There is very little darkness. Unless you stay up most of the night, you'll miss something. Missing Sail Away isn't that critical as long as you see the ship sail into the ports.

I'm doing this cruise for the second time. It is my favorite.

We did this itinerary 2 years ago on Serenade. I don't recall any special local entertainment being brought on board. We sailed during the summer solstice and there was a Midnight Sun party. I'm not sure if they only do it on that night or if it's something that is done June - July

Bergen has a long and scenic fjord so it is worthwhile being out on deck for over and hour coming and going from there. Of course everything on your cruise will be scenic!

Thank you for all of these answers - they are really helpful and fuels the fire/desire for this trip! We do plan on trying to get up early for the sail ins (sunrises could be a bit tougher).

Re a Solstice Party - the summer solstice takes place on the 21st of June this year.

I have read about a "blue nose ceremony" crossing the Arctic Circle? Anyone experience this?

Edited by swedie
spelling error

Thank you for all of these answers - they are really helpful and fuels the fire/desire for this trip! We do plan on trying to get up early for the sail ins (sunrises could be a bit tougher).

Re a Solstice Party - the summer solstice takes place on the 21st of June this year.

I have read about a "blue nose ceremony" crossing the Arctic Circle? Anyone experience this?

When are you sailing? I mentioned the Midnight Sun Party because you said you were cruising next month and it may be something they do more than once, or it just may be on the solstice.

Yes, there was a Blue Nose ceremony in the Atrium and we received a nice certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle. It was fun to watch.

When are you sailing? I mentioned the Midnight Sun Party because you said you were cruising next month and it may be something they do more than once, or it just may be on the solstice.

Yes, there was a Blue Nose ceremony in the Atrium and we received a nice certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle. It was fun to watch.

We are doing a b2b cruise - leaving on the 3rd of June, followed by a Baltic cruise on the 14th. Perhaps there will be a Midnight Sun party in the Baltics (or maybe on both cruise legs) - hope so. Thanks you for info on "blue nose ceremony" - we will need to watch for it!