Top Level Cabin Temperature

rae.holmes

We are looking to book on either deck 11 or 12 on Carnival Magic. We know that the top deck cabins do not have a cover. My question is do any of you have experience with those decks being hotter because of the exposure to the sun? Thanks in advance!

Our last cruise was on the Breeze (her sister ship). We stayed on deck 12 and had no issues with it being hot. This was in the summer and my husband is a walking furnace lol. :') You’ll be fine.

Thanks, fam!

I see complaints on here all the time about hot cabins, but I've yet to experience one. I think it mostly depends on what you are used to. For example, if you routinely keep your house thermostat on 65, you may find the cabins to be a bit warm. On the other hand, if you normally live in a 75ish degree environment, you'll likely be comfortable. We keep our house about 75 or 76 in warm months and I've never found the staterooms to be uncomfortably warm.

I was in a Spa Balcony room on deck 12 on the Breeze. I don’t remember having any issues with the cabin temperature, as long as we kept the balcony door closed and the drapes shut when the sun was shining in our side of the ship. As soon as the sun set everything got even cooler in the room.

LOL. Was this an accident or some sort of meteorological experiment?

...and my wife would agree. I carry a small digital thermometer that I acquired for this very purpose (actually was a debate here and a discussion with other cruisers. Maybe a tad over the top.

We stayed in an interior spa cabin on Magic in February (11216) and this was my first time experiencing a “hot” cabin. With the ac as low as it would go I sweated at night and would wake up with covers thrown on the floor. Hubby also commented it was warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...and my wife would agree. I carry a small digital thermometer that I acquired for this very purpose (actually was a debate here and a discussion with other cruisers. Maybe a tad over the top.
I'm fairly hot natured, but 63 degrees? Wow. My wife would divorce me if I insisted on that sort of temperature. ;-) Before marrying I kept my thermostat at 70, couldn't sleep with it any warmer than that. Now that I'm having to share the thermostat, so to speak, we compromise at about 75. Honestly, one's body acclimates to it in just a week or two and it feels as comfortable as 70 did in past years... and saves lots of energy to boot.

I'm fairly hot natured, but 63 degrees? Wow. My wife would divorce me if I insisted on that sort of temperature. ;-) Before marrying I kept my thermostat at 70, couldn't sleep with it any warmer than that. Now that I'm having to share the thermostat, so to speak, we compromise at about 75. Honestly, one's body acclimates to it in just a week or two and it feels as comfortable as 70 did in past years... and saves lots of energy to boot.

It was to cold for us but when we noticed how easily it kept the room cool, I wanted to see how far it would go. On the Vista each room has its own unit where the third closet was.

It was to cold for us but when we noticed how easily it kept the room cool, I wanted to see how far it would go. On the Vista each room has its own unit where the third closet was.

Ah! So it WAS an experiment. Glad to hear that. I was concerned about you. :D

Honestly, one's body acclimates to it in just a week or two and it feels as comfortable as 70 did in past years... and saves lots of energy to boot.

Well, YOUR body acclimated. My wife came from Wisconsin 25+ years ago. The highest our thermometer at home or on the ship goes is 68. She still flushes and sweats any higher than that. I am horribly chilled when sitting still or sleeping in that temperature. I wear a sweatsuit at home and in my stateroom. Our compromise was that I have heated wraps, lap pads, and mattress pad at home. So, neither of us has acclimated.

As to staterooms, we have not had a room even on deck 11 and 12, or decks 1 thru 10, balcony or interior that didn't get cold enough to make frosty clouds billow into the hallway when the door is opened.

Well, YOUR body acclimated. My wife came from Wisconsin 25+ years ago. The highest our thermometer at home or on the ship goes is 68. She still flushes and sweats any higher than that. I am horribly chilled when sitting still or sleeping in that temperature. I wear a sweatsuit at home and in my stateroom. Our compromise was that I have heated wraps, lap pads, and mattress pad at home. So, neither of us has acclimated.

Bless your heart. And hers too, I guess. But if your thermostat never gets set any higher than 68, how do you know she can't adjust to 70? Or 72? I haz a confused. :confused: BTW, y'all are opposite of most couples, but you probably know that.

IMHO, the best advice is to prepare for your cabin being too hot. I've cruised with friends who had a cabin right next to mine and my cabin was comfortable and theirs was noticeably hot. I'm warm natured, so anything above 70 is uncomfortable to me. On my last cruise my cabin was too warm. When I reported it and they came to check it out, I watched as the maintenance guys undid all the stuff that had been done to the ceiling vent to prevent any air from coming out of the air vent. No doubt a previous occupant of that cabin had complained it was too cold. Other times I've been told that even though I was too warm, they would do nothing because what I thought was too warm was acceptable to Carnival (76 degrees was acceptable). I always travel with my fan because I can't sleep at night if I'm sweating. You can always ask for an extra blanket if you find your cabin is too cool, but you can only strip off so many clothes and blankets when you're trying to sleep and its too hot.