Haven Guests-real time needed to transfer from cruise to Copenhagen Airport

kris10wine

Hi All,

First time cruising ever! We are doing the Baltic Sea Cruise in Aug/September. The Norwegian cruise website says allow 5 hours from port to airport. We reserved a haven spa suite which is supposed to give us priority embarkation and debarkation. The boat shows 7AM debarkation so we should take a flight after 12PM, however, I would really like to take the 10:20AM flight out of Copenhagen. So, my question is, would this flight be too risky leaving that early? If so, are you pushed to get off at exactly 7AM? The next flight is 2PM and I don't want to sit at the airport that long. Thanks so much!

we did NCL's shuttle which left pretty quickly. it was about a 45 minute ride to the CPH airport, if i remember correctly.

1020 for an (i assume) international flight is cutting it way too close. id stay on the ship until they kick you off (prob around 9 or 10), have one last leisurely breakfast, and take the later flight.

You need to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight if traveling internationally. If you think you can make it by 7:20 or even 7:30 by all means book that flight, but make sure that you have a backup plan because you will probably need it.

We will be in the Haven on the July 13 sailing and our flight back home is at 530 so we have some time to fill. I was thinking of taking the tour of the city that ends at the airport to fill the time gap, but now am wondering how late we can remain on the ship and perhaps take the shuttle. Are there specific shuttle times? What is the latest we can stay? I also don’t want to be at the airport any longer than necessary, being the requisite three hours prior.

We took a 10 a.m. flight when disembarking the Sun in Copenhagen. I think you will be OK.

the Sun is half the passenger count of the Breakaway/Getaway which i assume the OP will be on. disembark will take much longer and be a bit more chaotic.

We will be in the Haven on the July 13 sailing and our flight back home is at 530 so we have some time to fill. I was thinking of taking the tour of the city that ends at the airport to fill the time gap, but now am wondering how late we can remain on the ship and perhaps take the shuttle. Are there specific shuttle times? What is the latest we can stay? I also don’t want to be at the airport any longer than necessary, being the requisite three hours prior.

you will be booted from your room by 8am. then they usually want you off the ship by 930-10 at the latest.

we've been looking at some tours with a company called Rome in Limo. if you want to get up and off the ship early, you can probably book a really great tour with them that will finish at the airport.

I often hear this requirement to be at the airport 3 hours in advance stated. In my experience, that is way too early, and a couple of hours is more than enough (this is the timescale we usually work to for international flights), giving us time to check in, get through security, have a drink and be waiting at the gate for when boarding starts.

Arrival at the airport two hours before the flight, and check in 60-90 minutes before is the typically suggested timings for most US carriers that I have seen when flying internationally. If you arrive three house before then the most likely think you will be doing is waiting for the bag drop to open.

Whilst I am not suggesting that people do it, arriving at the airport about 75 minutes before the flight and heading straight for bag drop is very unlikely to cause any problems.

Hi All,

First time cruising ever! We are doing the Baltic Sea Cruise in Aug/September. The Norwegian cruise website says allow 5 hours from port to airport. We reserved a haven spa suite which is supposed to give us priority embarkation and debarkation. The boat shows 7AM debarkation so we should take a flight after 12PM, however, I would really like to take the 10:20AM flight out of Copenhagen. So, my question is, would this flight be too risky leaving that early? If so, are you pushed to get off at exactly 7AM? The next flight is 2PM and I don't want to sit at the airport that long. Thanks so much!

Hi Kris,

I wouldn't risk it. Sometimes ships do not have the okay from local authorities to let passengers off right at 7 am or whatever time they list. Everything would have to go smoothly for you to make a 10:20 am departure and I have learned to not expect everything to go smoothly especially when traveling in a foreign country and in airports I don't know well the timing of security lines etc. Even with Haven priority, you could set yourself up for a super stressed last morning of your vacation. If you miss the flight or arrive too late to check your luggage, getting seats on another flight can be a nightmare.

Think about it this way, you'll be hustled out of your suite by about 8 am, then I would recommend you go enjoy one last delicious Haven breakfast til about 9:15 or so. By the time you get off the ship and find your luggage, it's 9:30 at best. If you go straight to the airport, you'd be arriving at 10 am or so. Check in and check luggage with your airline takes you to 10:20 if lines are short or later if the lines are long. Your flight will board at 1:20 pm. So you really would only have 3 hours of hanging around the airport...not that bad and way better than completely stressing out every step of the way.

NCL does offer a bus tour of Copenhagen combined with drop off at the airport which would be nice way to spend the morning unless you are touring the city before your cruise.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising! We're on the Breakaway for a sailing in the Haven in mid June...can't wait!

Lynne in Boston