ChoiceAir Questions

dszrew

I learned my lesson with this. We booked our flight with CA and they said we had to get our seat selection thru American Airlines. I call AA but because the airline we are taking to Rome from the states is only affiliated with them we could only do it online. Our seats they had automatically reserved had my husband and myself sitting away from each other. I went online and it was an additional 375$ just to have our seatx next to each other. I called CA because we were not aware this was considered an "upgrade" and they did nothing. Lesson learned lol. I was mad because there was no compassion or assistance in getting our seats changed. I told them I will never book with them again. Yes the flights are cheaper......but in someways it comes back to bite you.

Generally with some research you can figure out if the airline lets you do advance seat assignments, or only with an additional fee. It's not necessarily the airline that tickets the flight, but the airline that operates the flight. I go to the airline website to double-check who really runs the flight, then if it isn't that airline, go to the operator's website to see their seat assignment policies. On ChoiceAir it might also indicate something like DL 6798 operated by Virgin Australia (Delta is the issuing airline, but the flight is operated by Virgin Australia).

Are you sure you booked in premium economy? Because Delta doesn't currently offer premium economy on flights to Dublin, and they only offer it on AMS flights that go in/out of Detroit, not Atlanta or JFK. Sounds likely that what you actually got was Delta's Comfort Plus seating, which is NOT premium economy; it is just regular economy with a few extra inches of legroom. True premium economy, which Delta titles "premium select," is a completely different cabin class, with an an entirely different seat (wider, more recline, leg rest) than economy, as well as better in-flight amenities.

Or is the flight booked run by a different airline, not Delta, and that airline does have premium economy?

For flights to Australia, Delta doesn't have premium economy, but Virgin Australia operated flights booked through Delta do. On ChoiceAir website, sometimes the Delta Comfort Plus is being sold for Premium Economy prices on flights that don't have Premium Economy. You are wise to double check before booking...

To say that we arrived in Hong Kong with time to spare is a real understatement, We had to practically run through an unfamiliar airport with very few English signs.

Difficult to believe that English signage was limited, given that English is one of the official languages of Hong Kong.

Wow, thank you for this information. I would not have realized that simply changing automatically reserved seats in the same section would be considered such an expensive upgrade.

It depends on the exact fare class of the ticket purchased, and is one of the many, many reasons that ticket prices can vary so much within the same cabin on the aircraft. Some fare classes allow seat selection and some do not. If you have purchased a fare class that does not, then any seat selection may be either unavailable or available only for an additional fee.

Or is the flight booked run by a different airline, not Delta, and that airline does have premium economy?

For flights to Australia, Delta doesn't have premium economy, but Virgin Australia operated flights booked through Delta do. On ChoiceAir website, sometimes the Delta Comfort Plus is being sold for Premium Economy prices on flights that don't have Premium Economy. You are wise to double check before booking...

The poster I responded to is flying into Dublin and out of Amsterdam. If they are flying nonstop from the US to Dublin on a Delta ticket, it will be a Delta-operated flight, as Delta doesn't codeshare with any other airline flying nonstop between the two. Likewise, assuming the poster meant that the return flight was nonstop from Amsterdam to the US, the only airline Delta codeshares with between AMS and the US is KLM, and KLM does not offer a true premium economy product.