Enough outlets in Breakaway H5 Courtyard Penthouse or bring power strip?

Hi all,

Will there be enough outlets for 3 people to charge our devices in our H5 on the Breakaway or should I bring a power strip?

Thanks!

Lynne from Boston

You would risk blowing a fuse if you bring a power strip. In the Haven there are two electrical outlets. We took turns using them and used the hair dryer provided in the room rather than our own. My sister in law was in a non-Haven mini suite using her own hair dryer and blew a fuse. No lights and no power until it was serviced. Didn't take long but still a hassle if you have plans. She was asked to use the provided dryer to avoid doing this again. A power strip could likely cause the same ruckus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Using a power strip would not necessarily cause a tripped breaker (no fuses, haven't been for decades). What happened when the PP's SIL used a 110v hair dryer, likely several other ladies in other cabins were also using high wattage appliances at the same time (3-4 cabins are on the same outlet circuit). Using the ship's supplied hair dryer (220v) not only shifts the power to a different circuit, but the 220v hair dryer draws 1/2 the current of the same wattage 110v dryer, so less chance of tripping a breaker. Power strips do not draw any power in and of themselves, though if you try to use multiple high wattage appliances, like two hair dryers, it would cause a breaker to trip.

OP, if you are simply looking to charge electronics, the best bet would be to bring a multi-USB charger (they come in models from 2-7 USB ports. If you bring a plug adapter, you can plug this multi-USB hub into the 220v outlet, and still leave the 110v outlet available for a hair dryer or other appliance.

Using a power strip would not necessarily cause a tripped breaker (no fuses, haven't been for decades). What happened when the PP's SIL used a 110v hair dryer, likely several other ladies in other cabins were also using high wattage appliances at the same time (3-4 cabins are on the same outlet circuit). Using the ship's supplied hair dryer (220v) not only shifts the power to a different circuit, but the 220v hair dryer draws 1/2 the current of the same wattage 110v dryer, so less chance of tripping a breaker. Power strips do not draw any power in and of themselves, though if you try to use multiple high wattage appliances, like two hair dryers, it would cause a breaker to trip.

OP, if you are simply looking to charge electronics, the best bet would be to bring a multi-USB charger (they come in models from 2-7 USB ports. If you bring a plug adapter, you can plug this multi-USB hub into the 220v outlet, and still leave the 110v outlet available for a hair dryer or other appliance.

Thanks so much Chengkp, super helpful. Is this what I should look for? Certainly don't want to trip a breaker!

https://www.amazon.com/Manto-Charger-Station-Desktop-Charging/dp/B01ICTQF9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527685438&sr=8-

2&keywords=charger+multi+usb&dpID=51499XEsuSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'll use the ship-provided hair dryer, but do you think I'll be fine plugging a curling iron into the regular outlet?

Thanks much,

Lynne In Boston

Thanks so much Chengkp, super helpful. Is this what I should look for? Certainly don't want to trip a breaker!

https://www.amazon.com/Manto-Charger-Station-Desktop-Charging/dp/B01ICTQF9K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527685438&sr=8-

2&keywords=charger+multi+usb&dpID=51499XEsuSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'll use the ship-provided hair dryer, but do you think I'll be fine plugging a curling iron into the regular outlet?

Thanks much,

Lynne In Boston

Yes, virtually all pure USB hubs are fine, no surge protection. A curling iron would be okay.