Poor communication re port location and transport

We recently returned from a cruise on the Ovation toJapan. For port activities, we thoughtthat RCL gave strong preference, plus communications, to those passengers whowere going on the RCL shore excursions. We certainly felt neglected. AtKumamoto, in particular, there was no information about how far the port was fromdowntown, nor how to get there.

The only information came when we disembarked. At that time, we were told that shuttlebuses would take us to a shopping mall, and drop us there. The shopping mall was really just a largesupermarket. Certainly not a touristattraction. Several of our fellowtravellers gave up at that point and returned to the ship.

If we then wished togo downtown, that then required a 15 minutes taxi ride, plus a 30 minutes localtrain ride, plus the waiting time for the train. Much of our day in this destination wastaken up in travelling to and from downtown.

It was misleading to advertise that Kumamoto was the portwhen, in fact, it was quite some distance away at Yatsushiro.

The next day, in Shimonoseki, we docked in a container terminal. For travel to downtown, this time travellerswere offered a cruise organised return shuttle at USD $20 per pax. That’s USD $40 per couple plus 18% servicecharge plus currency conversion.

There was no advice whether taxis or other alternativetravel arrangements were available.

We will post separately on our experiences re evening dining.

So the take away lesson for other cruisers from your post seems to be: If researching ports is too difficult (age, too busy, too lazy, whatever), book Shore Excursions (or join private excursions organized on your cruises roll call). Those that did not know this may appreciate the info.

So the take away lesson for other cruisers from your post seems to be: If researching ports is too difficult (age, too busy, too lazy, whatever), book Shore Excursions (or join private excursions organized on your cruises roll call). Those that did not know this may appreciate the info.

Well said.

Waiting until I am onboard the ship and expecting information to be delivered to me via the Compas is not good enough for our planning. Researching ports while in the comfort of my home before setting out for a cruise is helpful. By doing this I am able to decide whether it would be better for me to take ship transportation and/or excursions.:) It also eliminates most last minute disappointments and dissatisfaction.

Since when has the cruise lines ever given you information about doing it on your own?????

I have never been given information about getting to/from town, or getting around, or anything about the port from the cruise line, other than their offerings of excursions.

Many ports are actually quite far from the cities listed. "Rome" docks at Civitavechia nearly an hour from Rome. Same with "Florence" which is really Livorno (or La Spezia, which is a far nicer town) and so on for MANY ports. This happens on every line I have sailed.

The lines never promise to provide people with any particular type of information about the ports for on your own excursions (that I have seen anyway).

I WILL say that the one thing that I have found misleading is the RCI operated shuttle in Valencia. It's 10 euro roundtrip and tickets are sold up inside the port terminal building, long before the boarding area. Why? Presumably because by the time you get to the boarding area you can see the signs for the 1.50 euro city bus that picks up across the street and runs more frequently.

excellent advice and summary.

Examples from Mariner repo cruise.

In Oman there was a free shuttle, both ways, to the Souk. Royal did not mention that.

In Dubai there was a free shuttle to the Emirates mall. I think the one with the skiing. Pretty sure Royal never mentioned that.

In Crete you could take bus into Chania for 3 euro round trip. Royal never mentioned that.

Did ships excursions in Phuket, Dubai, Jordan, and Israel.

Stayed on ship in India

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that Royal Caribbean did not meet your expectations. I believe Princess had an insert in the Patter concerning that day's port, but I don't recall if it included any info regarding what/how to do things on your own.

That said, I am somewhat obsessive about planning excursions/researching ports, and I would never leave it to the cruise line to inform me what I could/should do (if I didnt want to do the work, I would still look at what excursions the line was offering). I find it odd when people claim that it is difficult to do research, yet they are able to use Cruise Critic.

I always do extensive internet research on all of the ports we are going to even though about 50% of the time I use the Royal excursions. That being said, many times folks here in the port of call boards recommend books like those by Rick Steves so even if you don't like the internet, your local library or bookstore is a ready source of DIY info for ports. Depending on the cruise line to tell you everything is not an effective means of getting info.

The next day, in Shimonoseki, we docked in a container terminal. For travel to downtown, this time travellerswere offered a cruise organised return shuttle at USD $20 per pax. That’s USD $40 per couple plus 18% servicecharge plus currency conversion.

Is the service charge on excursions something new in the far east?

We didn't pay a service charge for excursions and shuttle service we got on the RCI Australia cruises we did in 2013 and 2015 nor for the excursions we bought last month on Anthem.