My Experience with Printing Documents on HAL website...

The time came. I followed the link in the email HAL sent, clicked through all the steps until I reached the print docs page... clicked on the button--nothing. Double clicked on the button, and page of source code opened. Sure didn't look like something I wanted to print ;p

I opened the website chat. The HAL support person gave me a long and involved work around that required opening different browsers, copying and pasting urls, and then changing some of the characters in the url…

"Why are you guys making this so hard for me? I'm the guest, right?"

His response, "Edge (the browser I use) doesn't open PDFs so you have to use a different browser."

That's a lie.... and it might have worked if I weren't a little bit tech savy… so, now Thad has my full attention. "That's baloney," I respond. I know for a fact that Edge opens PDFs. You guys have a bug in your software, and you shouldn't have launched before making sure your website works on all platforms. You shouldn't be making guests do the work to fix your mistake." I'm pretty calm, mind you... just don't like to be lied to.

"So, how about if I show up at the pier with my reservation number. Can they help me get my docs there?"

"No," he says, you can't get into the building without the docs."

"Okay, just email them to me," I say and type in my email address.

He says, "You booked this through an agency so they have to contact me."

I say, "No worries... I am both the traveler and the agent. Would you like my IATA number? (I sold the travel agency I owned in 2016 and brokered a deal where I get to still book my own travel and keep the commission as part of the sale:halo:)"

He says, "There is a $25 fee to travel agencies to have the docs emailed."

Seriously.

At this point, I got off the chat, copied and pasted the entire chat dialogue, and emailed it to HAL. Today, HAL replied... they emailed docs, boarding pass, and luggage tags free of charge.

In the meantime, if you want avoid all of this... use Chrome to print your docs and such:cool: I hope this helps someone:halo:

The time came. I followed the link in the email HAL sent, clicked through all the steps until I reached the print docs page... clicked on the button--nothing. Double clicked on the button, and page of source code opened. Sure didn't look like something I wanted to print ;p

I opened the website chat. The HAL support person gave me a long and involved work around that required opening different browsers, copying and pasting urls, and then changing some of the characters in the url…

His response, "Edge (the browser I use) doesn't open PDFs so you have to use a different browser."

That's a lie.... and it might have worked if I weren't a little bit tech savy… so, now Thad has my full attention. "That's baloney," I respond. I know for a fact that Edge opens PDFs. You guys have a bug in your software, and you shouldn't have launched before making sure your website works on all platforms. You shouldn't be making guests do the work to fix your mistake." I'm pretty calm, mind you... just don't like to be lied to.

"So, how about if I show up at the pier with my reservation number. Can they help me get my docs there?"

I say, "No worries... I am both the traveler and the agent. Would you like my IATA number? (I sold the travel agency I owned in 2016 and brokered a deal where I get to still book my own travel and keep the commission as part of the sale:halo:)"

Seriously.

At this point, I got off the chat, copied and pasted the entire chat dialogue, and emailed it to HAL. Today, HAL replied... they emailed docs, boarding pass, and luggage tags free of charge.

In the meantime, if you want avoid all of this... use Chrome to print your docs and such:cool: I hope this helps someone:halo:

Well, that's just crazy! Sorry to hear about your run-around with the HAL rep, but happy to hear you set him straight. This has been going on too long now and they need to get their ducks in a row or they'll notice a decline in their sales. Thanks for sharing!

Some browsers don't work with HAL websites. Yes Edge might open PDF's but maybe not the version they are using.

Yep, that would be their point. In my world, it is incumbent upon the web developer to ensure all browsers work for all functions :cool:

The irony here is that HAL uses Microsoft servers for their emails (I know this because my husband is a developer at Microsoft) but they can't seem to make Edge--a Microsoft browser--compatible with their website?! The world is such an interesting place, n'est-ce pas?;p

I had absolutely no issues using Firefox to print out our documents yesterday! I was very relieved after reading other threads about people having issues.

I am pretty sure it's a Microsoft issue. I opened IE (which he said would work) and got the same result. Both are Microsoft browsers.

Seriously.

Try using Firefox for a browser. It used to be Netscape and does have a few minor. I found Chrome to work very poorly on many sites especially forums.