Boarding day in Vancouver

SoBaycruiser

This is our first cruise on Seabourn and the dress code has been somewhat intimidating when it comes to packing. We will be doing the Inland Passage and it seems like we need three sets of clothes: MDR evening elegant, before 6pm casual nice for the ship, and excursion wear (jeans, fleeces, jackets, etc). So when we arrive at the ship in Vancouver it’s suppose to be cool and rainy. Can we arrive in jeans, warm shirts, and jackets and not feel out of place? Do people board the ship and immediately unpack for the evening. If we are out on deck for sail away, is dinner in the MDR a little more casual or do we have to eat elsewhere if we want to be outside to watch our departure.

I have a feeling that I’ll have worried a lot for nothing, but people seem to have very strong feelings about dress code here on C.C. I’d like to hear what boarding day is like in a cold drizzly climate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1/ "Can we arrive in jeans, warm shirts, and jackets and not feel out of place?"

Of course you can, first night is always fairly casual.

I think that that you are reading too much into all these dressing comments, most of the people on Seabourn are really friendly and don't look down their noses at others.

Just relax and enjoy your cruise:)

This is our first cruise on Seabourn and the dress code has been somewhat intimidating when it comes to packing. We will be doing the Inland Passage and it seems like we need three sets of clothes: MDR evening elegant, before 6pm casual nice for the ship, and excursion wear (jeans, fleeces, jackets, etc). So when we arrive at the ship in Vancouver it’s suppose to be cool and rainy. Can we arrive in jeans, warm shirts, and jackets and not feel out of place? Do people board the ship and immediately unpack for the evening. If we are out on deck for sail away, is dinner in the MDR a little more casual or do we have to eat elsewhere if we want to be outside to watch our departure.

I have a feeling that I’ll have worried a lot for nothing, but people seem to have very strong feelings about dress code here on C.C. I’d like to hear what boarding day is like in a cold drizzly climate.

SoBayCruiser during the day jeans and hiking pants are very common. I tended to wear warm weight hiking pants even in July in Alaska because I feel the cold. We also had waterproof pants which we used while hiking and also on some zodiac trips because you might get splashed or have some drizzly rain. Waterproof shoes are also helpful.

You could tell all the Seabourn people walking around town because lots of people wore the bright turquoise Seabourn jacket. It was wind and waterproof though it doesn't have a hood.

I would also recommend you bring a beanie as it helped keep your head warm. Though if you forget they had some for sale in the Seabourn shop or you could all sorts on land. Bear-eared beanie anyone :cool:.

I also brought a down jacket with a hood that squishes down to nothing but helped keep me warm. Don't laugh, remember I come from a pretty warm city that stays warm to very hot most of the year. I was very glad of my down jacket when I visited San Fransisco in Summer pre-cruise.

Julie

We will be doing the Inland Passage and it seems like we need three sets of clothes: MDR evening elegant, before 6pm casual nice for the ship, and excursion wear (jeans, fleeces, jackets, etc). So when we arrive at the ship in Vancouver it’s suppose to be cool and rainy. Can we arrive in jeans, warm shirts, and jackets and not feel out of place? Do people board the ship and immediately unpack for the evening. If we are out on deck for sail away, is dinner in the MDR a little more casual or do we have to eat elsewhere if we want to be outside to watch our departure.

We did this sailing last year so I can offer comparable advice.

Think TWO sets of clothes (daytime and evening). Daytime was predominately jeans, fleeces, t-shirts, flannel button downs, boots, lots of layers. The Seabourn-provided blue jackets will be everywhere (take a Sharpie to write your name in the inside collar). Many passengers are coming and going from shore excursions and expeditions throughout the day so casual is the norm, not the exception.

In the evenings, the dress code does still apply. If you want to wear jeans and not change on the first night, plan to eat at the Patio Grill or Colonnade. Last year we watched multiple parties get turned away from the MDR on night one for jeans. But slacks/sweater were perfectly acceptable so if you want to go without changing, think anout that instead (even khakis or cords).

We had a couple of nights when we didn’t feel like getting dressed up - or when the scenery was too spectacular to miss!) so we ordered room service from the MDR. Same menu (minus any TK specials) and they’ll bring the full white tablecloth set up to your room including a bottle of wine. We end up doing that every 4th to 5th night on most sailings just because we like it.

As far as boarding/unpacking...any people arrive and go straight to lunch at noon. The suites are usually ready around 2 pm and if bags are not already there, they usually arrive shortly after. We always eat lunch, go make spa appointments, and then go enjoy a glass of champagne in the suite while we unpack. Muster drill is usually around 4 pm and after the on-deck sailaway festivities generally start. Those usually continue until 6-ish and then people generally disperse to get ready for dinner.

Oh Dear, I good friend has just reminded me there is a hood in the jacket Seabourn provided. I put it down to forgetfulness and laziness as I didn't bother to go check;p.

Anyway they are good jackets apart from if you wanted a zip out liner.

Julie

Thank you all! You really have reduced some of the stress. I think I can eliminate some clothes now and get the suitcase closed! And thank you Julie for the specifics in clothing and Jeni for an outline of what the boarding day schedule is like. That was particularly helpful. I’m sure it will help others taking Alaskan trips this summer.

Thank you all! You really have reduced some of the stress. I think I can eliminate some clothes now and get the suitcase closed! And thank you Julie for the specifics in clothing and Jeni for an outline of what the boarding day schedule is like. That was particularly helpful. I’m sure it will help others taking Alaskan trips this summer.

I agree! We board in Vancouver at the end of August on our first Seabourn cruise, so the details are helpful!

I'm really looking forward to some Alaska cruise reviews to start coming in :*

Specifically - if you're scheduled to stop at ISP, please let me know if you do! We haven't been able to book a whale watching tour there because 1 company isn't responding to our email/phone call and the other company won't accept Seabourn customers because Seabourn has a history of cancelling that port....

Please do not stress over these silly and endless dress code threads you have obviously been reading, Pack and wear what is convenient and makes you comfortable. You will fit in perfectly.

I agree! We board in Vancouver at the end of August on our first Seabourn cruise, so the details are helpful!

Specifically - if you're scheduled to stop at ISP, please let me know if you do! We haven't been able to book a whale watching tour there because 1 company isn't responding to our email/phone call and the other company won't accept Seabourn customers because Seabourn has a history of cancelling that port....

We stopped at ISP last year with Seabourn. The private whale watch timings were not compatible with the in port times as they had adjusted them to serve the large ships that were in. We walked to hoonah, which I found really scenic and interesting. We also did the zip liner which was fantastic. There were 4 of us and we all went down together. Even my 75 year old dad!! There are plenty of opportunities for whale watching. I appreciate isp is renowned but we had great private tours for humpbacks at alert bay and Sitka.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve been to ISP previously and we could see whales breaching just off shore. True they were at a distance, not up close, but I think you’ll have other opportunities.

Also check how many ships are in port that day :

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Icy-Strait-Point-%E2%80%93-ISP-2018.pdf

We are the only ones on our day so I would think they would be looking for customers at the gangplank.

We too saw a humpback just mooching around a few yards off shore at ISP. They are trying to encourage bigger ships to call, so do check whether other bigger ships will be in port that day. Otherwise it is a very nice quiet and scenic port. We also went out to the Inian Islands earlier that morning en route to ISP - 3 or 4 great rocks in the ocean - and the Captain cut the engines. In a few minutes the resident Orca pods came out and did their stuff for us. Sojourn has time available to wait to see the Orcas, unlike other ships that have long distances to cover between ports.

I know that Seabourn cancelled roughly every other planned stop at ISP last year, but that was because the permits for Glacier Bay did not come through until about April, and they had booked ISP in case the permits were not issued. So I can imagine there were disappointed locals at ISP as a result.

We're on our own in ISP so it's not the larger ships that are the problem.

Seabourn does have a whale watching tour in ISP but no info on size of boat. I want to be on a 6 person boat, not a big one....Is there a way to find out more details on that?

We're on our own in ISP so it's not the larger ships that are the problem.

Seabourn does have a whale watching tour in ISP but no info on size of boat. I want to be on a 6 person boat, not a big one....Is there a way to find out more details on that?

Seabourn boat will be larger than 6

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this sailing last year so I can offer comparable advice.

Think TWO sets of clothes (daytime and evening). Daytime was predominately jeans, fleeces, t-shirts, flannel button downs, boots, lots of layers. The Seabourn-provided blue jackets will be everywhere (take a Sharpie to write your name in the inside collar). Many passengers are coming and going from shore excursions and expeditions throughout the day so casual is the norm, not the exception.

In the evenings, the dress code does still apply. If you want to wear jeans and not change on the first night, plan to eat at the Patio Grill or Colonnade. Last year we watched multiple parties get turned away from the MDR on night one for jeans. But slacks/sweater were perfectly acceptable so if you want to go without changing, think anout that instead (even khakis or cords).

We had a couple of nights when we didn’t feel like getting dressed up - or when the scenery was too spectacular to miss!) so we ordered room service from the MDR. Same menu (minus any TK specials) and they’ll bring the full white tablecloth set up to your room including a bottle of wine. We end up doing that every 4th to 5th night on most sailings just because we like it.

As far as boarding/unpacking...any people arrive and go straight to lunch at noon. The suites are usually ready around 2 pm and if bags are not already there, they usually arrive shortly after. We always eat lunch, go make spa appointments, and then go enjoy a glass of champagne in the suite while we unpack. Muster drill is usually around 4 pm and after the on-deck sailaway festivities generally start. Those usually continue until 6-ish and then people generally disperse to get ready for dinner.

Hello,

Thanks for the great information. Just to clarify, khaki pants are fine for the MDR in Alaska?

Those on the Alaska cruise that are visiting Klemtu may want to focus their efforts on bear watching. As this is more or less our back yard Klemtu is locally known for having a regular population of the “spirit bears”. They are a genetically varied black bear that are white. Not sure what Seabourn offers At this port but a friend of mine who works there constantly tells me about the regular sightings of these rare bears. Although the town itself may not offer a ton of activities the surrounding wilderness and bear population would make it worth the effort. This is locally known as one of the gateways to the great bear rainforest and epitomizes what the west coast of Canada has to offer for untouched wilderness thus the lack of amenities to some of these remote ports. Alert Bay would be the best choice for whale watching.

Those on the Alaska cruise that are visiting Klemtu may want to focus their efforts on bear watching. As this is more or less our back yard Klemtu is locally known for having a regular population of the “spirit bears”. They are a genetically varied black bear that are white. Not sure what Seabourn offers At this port but a friend of mine who works there constantly tells me about the regular sightings of these rare bears. Although the town itself may not offer a ton of activities the surrounding wilderness and bear population would make it worth the effort. This is locally known as one of the gateways to the great bear rainforest and epitomizes what the west coast of Canada has to offer for untouched wilderness thus the lack of amenities to some of these remote ports. Alert Bay would be the best choice for whale watching.

Hi Corony, When we visited mid-July last year we were told it was too early for regular sightings of the Spirit Bear so no excursions to go looking either through Seabourn or privately. Though I did buy a lovely photo of the Spirit Bear which I can see now while I type.

Seabourn put on on a lunch and the locals performed dances in their large communal hall. The little children dancing were so cute as they tried to faithfully copy their elders. There were also zodiacs and I can't remember re kayaks.

I really hope some people get to see Spirit Bears at Klemtu as that would be very special.

Julie

They tend to hang around the local rivers waiting for salmon later in the summer. The people travelling in August and September will undoubtedly have the best chances at all of the wildlife viewings. Late summer is the normal time for the salmon spawn which jumpstarts most of the local wildlife. You can however still find sightings although you may have to travel a little further afield. All of which is easily doable within your scheduled dock time.