Le Havre shuttle

The Wilkies

Hi

Going on the Royal in 2 weeks. Anyone got any info on the shuttle in Le Havre. Where does it drop you off in the town, how long is the journey, cost, etc. We are taking the Bee Le Havre tour to Honfleur and have to go to their stop in Place Perret.

Thanks.

I can't provide a lot of info but I do know there is a paid shuttle, about 7-8 Euro's I think. I forget where it drops you, but I think it is near a shopping center.

We were on the Royal for her April TA to Europe and stayed on for the BI cruise, but we missed Le Havre the first half and used a private tour the 2nd half.

I think if you search for Le Havre shuttle, either on Princess or the Royal roll calls, you will find the info. it was posted but I don't remember where.

Good luck, it's a nice itinerary.

ML

I believe that the drop off was along the green area in front of Place de l'Hotel de Ville, About 2 blocks from Le Volcan. It was raining pretty heavily when we were there, but I am pretty sure that was the spot on out trip last year.

I believe that the drop off was along the green area in front of Place de l'Hotel de Ville, About 2 blocks from Le Volcan. It was raining pretty heavily when we were there, but I am pretty sure that was the spot on out trip last year.

Yes, this could be the place, I know it was about 15 minutes from the port.

And it was pouring rain when we there too :D

Hello. I’m currently on Royal Princess and the flyer about the Le Havre shuttle was left for us last night. It’s $8 per person one way (!) and has to be booked by the day before so you can’t weigh up if a taxi is a cheaper option or of alternative port transport is on offer. We’ve had no shuttle charges at any other port either. The drop off /pick up point is Place Perret in the Rue de Paris in the centre of Le Havre.

8€ is a complete rip-off. A bus ride anywhere is about 1€50.

Unfortunately there is no local bus stop at the cruise terminal, ut we are not talking about La Rochelle distances and it really isn't that far to walk to the bus stop at Notre-Dame.

In fact the local bus company show it as walkable on the map that comes with the bus timetable. I would say that is about four or five ship lengths from the port to the bus stop at Notre Dame.

http://www.transports-lia.fr/ftp/documents/Plan_réseau_2017.pdf

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Hi

Going on the Royal in 2 weeks. Anyone got any info on the shuttle in Le Havre. Where does it drop you off in the town, how long is the journey, cost, etc. We are taking the Bee Le Havre tour to Honfleur and have to go to their stop in Place Perret.

Thanks.

If you need additional questions answered about your upcoming cruise, check out the British Isles/Western Europe forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Have a great cruise.

Paul

Hello. I’m currently on Royal Princess and the flyer about the Le Havre shuttle was left for us last night. It’s $8 per person one way (!) and has to be booked by the day before so you can’t weigh up if a taxi is a cheaper option or of alternative port transport is on offer. We’ve had no shuttle charges at any other port either. The drop off /pick up point is Place Perret in the Rue de Paris in the centre of Le Havre.

I believe we are talking about the same place. The Rue De Paris starts at the southern center of Place de l'Hotel de Ville. There is a tourist information center about a block south, Maison du Patrimoine, Atelier Perret. Note that the information center doesn't open until 10. The shuttle dropped us at the information center, but picked us up along side of Place de l'Hotel de Ville. Something about the bus not able to wait along Rue De Paris. Might just have been due to the rain that day or might be normal process.

I believe we are talking about the same place. The Rue De Paris starts at the southern center of Place de l'Hotel de Ville. There is a tourist information center about a block south, Maison du Patrimoine, Atelier Perret. Note that the information center doesn't open until 10. The shuttle dropped us at the information center, but picked us up along side of Place de l'Hotel de Ville. Something about the bus not able to wait along Rue De Paris. Might just have been due to the rain that day or might be normal process.

Same situation when we were there in April 2016 on the Caribbean P. Le Havre is very flat downtown and easy to walk. Last time we walked to the Museum of Modern Art (starts with Impressionists), which is at the point where the Seine flows into the ocean. On a historical note: you'll notice that all the buildings look "modern" with a few exceptions (Notre Dame Cathedral, for one). They were built post-WW II because the Germans heavily bombed the city and destroyed nearly everything. I have no idea why they spared the Cathedral, but it's an interesting place to visit with its stained glass windows having a sea motif. On one cruise we were there on V-E Day (May 8) and nearly everything was closed for that holiday except the Cathedral and a few eateries.

On a historical note: you'll notice that all the buildings look "modern" with a few exceptions (Notre Dame Cathedral, for one). They were built post-WW II because the Germans heavily bombed the city and destroyed nearly everything. I have no idea why they spared the Cathedrals

Hmmm!

I think you will find that it was not the Germans who bombed Le Havre.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could use the fact that I wasn't born until after WW II to excuse my ignorance, but I did look up what happened within the last year so it must have been my faulty short-term memory.

According to "Le Havre, World Heritage Site" (http://unesco.lehavre.fr/en/understand/the-bombings-of-1944): "Already in August [1944], the Germans [who occupied the city] had ordered the evacuation of civilians. To no avail. The people of Le Havre did not obey and a great majority remained. On September 3rd, the Allied Forces suggested surrender. The Germans rejected it. The first corps of the British Army led by General Crocker then surrounded the city.

On September 5th, a deluge of bombs crashes down over the city. 348 British bombers drop 1,820 explosive bombs and 30 000 fire ones over the south-west of the city. The city centre is flattened out, only the 1914-1918 War Memorial remains standing."

I visited Le Havre this year and they were giving out free maps in the cruise terminal showing the route and stops as I recall and selling shuttle tickets. There were two drop off points the first near the VOLCAN and then the bus continued to a shopping complex which had been converted from old wharf type buildings. A few eateries there of the fast food type and general fashion shopping.

Regards John