6pm whale watching tour too late?

nicknata

We are taking a cruise to Alaska end of July and wanting to do Whale watching in Juneau. Obviously I left it too late to book because when I check the cruise tours, only 6pm slot is available and I wonder if it will get dark and we wont see anything for the latter half of the journey? I tried to check private ones like Harv and Marv and they only have spaces in the morning, we only arrive Juneau in the afternoon. also we have 2 young ones in our group so Harv and Marv do not work for us anyway.

You should be fine

Sunset in late July is around 9:30 with twilight ending about an hour after that. How late are you in port for and are you going on a ship sponsored whale watching excursion?

We are going to Alaska in a few weeks. I booked our Juneau whale watch with Alaska Humpback Adventures. He used to capt for Harv and Marv and has great reviews. I believe he has only one small boat which is set for 6ppl.

He will pick us up at port and drop us off at the glacier, we will then taxi back to ship

You can try contacting him

We are going to Alaska in a few weeks. I booked our Juneau whale watch with Alaska Humpback Adventures. He used to capt for Harv and Marv and has great reviews. I believe he has only one small boat which is set for 6ppl.

He will pick us up at port and drop us off at the glacier, we will then taxi back to ship

By all means, contact Captain Steve with Alaska Humpback Adventures (if you would enjoy a more intimate, smaller boat trip). In our opinion, he's the absolute best whale and wildlife watch captain in Juneau. We have him booked twice in July, for our back-to-back cruises. He's lived in Juneau for decades and is very knowledgeable about all the wildlife you may see on the excursion. His enthusiasm and appreciation for wildlife is contagious! If you're fortunate enough to be there when the humpbacks are bubble-net feeding, you're in for a treat because Captain Steve's boat, the Merlin, has a hydrophone. You'll be able to hear the signal the whales give just before they all propel themselves upward toward the water's surface, capturing their tiny prey in their gigantic mouths. It's an unforgettable wildlife experience!

You should be fine

Sunset in late July is around 9:30 with twilight ending about an hour after that. How late are you in port for and are you going on a ship sponsored whale watching excursion?

Thanks for the info. our ship will be in port till 10pm that day and yes I was looking at the ship-organised tours but any recommendations on other private operators would be appreciated.

Looks like you are going in July.

It will still be light out. Go ahead and go! The whales will still be out.

thanks, good to know there will still be light out and the whales will be out!

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check with him but if it is a 6ppl boat it wont work for us as we have 8 ppl in our group that want to do whale watching in Juneau......

By all means, contact Captain Steve with Alaska Humpback Adventures (if you would enjoy a more intimate, smaller boat trip). In our opinion, he's the absolute best whale and wildlife watch captain in Juneau. We have him booked twice in July, for our back-to-back cruises. He's lived in Juneau for decades and is very knowledgeable about all the wildlife you may see on the excursion. His enthusiasm and appreciation for wildlife is contagious! If you're fortunate enough to be there when the humpbacks are bubble-net feeding, you're in for a treat because Captain Steve's boat, the Merlin, has a hydrophone. You'll be able to hear the signal the whales give just before they all propel themselves upward toward the water's surface, capturing their tiny prey in their gigantic mouths. It's an unforgettable wildlife experience!

thanks, will check out the details with him.

A problem with some evening whale watches, is they are shorter in time. Time is a very important part of any whale watch tour. Less, means you'll see less. So compare the times when selecting vendors, I'd suggest.

Thanks for the info. our ship will be in port till 10pm that day and yes I was looking at the ship-organised tours but any recommendations on other private operators would be appreciated.

A problem with some evening whale watches, is they are shorter in time. Time is a very important part of any whale watch tour. Less, means you'll see less. So compare the times when selecting vendors, I'd suggest.

The reason I asked if you were looking at a ship sponsored excursion is for the reason BQ stated. Also, any independent tour you contact for an 6pm excursion, make sure they know you are on a cruise ship - you have to travel a ways from the cruise ship port to board the whale watching boats.

We are taking a cruise to Alaska end of July and wanting to do Whale watching in Juneau. Obviously I left it too late to book because when I check the cruise tours, only 6pm slot is available and I wonder if it will get dark and we wont see anything for the latter half of the journey? I tried to check private ones like Harv and Marv and they only have spaces in the morning, we only arrive Juneau in the afternoon. also we have 2 young ones in our group so Harv and Marv do not work for us anyway.

I have been to Alaska the past six years and have always had the evening whale watch excursion. We have always seen tons of whales and always seen them bubble feeding. Never had a problem seeing as it does not get dark until 9:30-10:00. You will definitely enjoy this!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been to Alaska the past six years and have always had the evening whale watch excursion. We have always seen tons of whales and always seen them bubble feeding. Never had a problem seeing as it does not get dark until 9:30-10:00. You will definitely enjoy this!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well you've been very lucky. :)