Portage Glacier

Poohbeck

Has anyone recently done the Portage Glacier Scenic Cruise and Drive through Princess on their arrival to Whittier? I recently booked this excursion as a means to get to the airport for a very late flight (10pm'ish) and needed to fill the day. I am wondering, after the tour, where do we end up? I've read at the airport and also at a holding area in Anchorage. Can anyone who recently took this tour confirm? I've read if we end up in Anchorage the space closes at 5pm and we'll need to then find a way to the airport.

Thanks for the help.

Not recently but in 2012 we did the Princess post cruise excursion/transportation that included the boat ride at the Portage Glacier and a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. We were dropped off at the Egan Center in mid afternoon so it was really too close to our check-in time to leave the center and see Anchorage (luckily we had a full day in Anchorage on our previous Alaska cruise because it is definitely a city worth visiting). If I remember correctly, the included transfers to the airport were timed to get you there with at least a couple of hours to spare before your flight.

If it does close at 5:00 pm and you are at the airport by 5:15-5:30, I would pay for places to sit in an airline lounge.

I don't find the Portage Glacier tour, that worthwhile. It's essentially a boat ride on a lake, the glacier has receded so significantly.

That is so sad. In 2012 we sailed across the face of the glacier and saw calving up close (but not too close :D) and personal.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've committed to keeping this excursion since it'll get us off the ship earlier, than if I booked airport transfer since we have a 9:50 pm flight, it takes care of our luggage, and I'll have my parents with me who are in their early 70's and have some mobility issues. It'll be a long day for sure.

I did look into the car rental, but, obviously, it's not an issue from Whittier. ;p

I'm hoping someone can post who's done it lately and can just answer the questions about Egan and how they got to the airport from there. I'm sure an Uber or Taxi would be plentiful.

I'm hoping someone can post who's done it lately and can just answer the questions about Egan and how they got to the airport from there. I'm sure an Uber or Taxi would be plentiful.

You might try posting on the Princess board and just ask generally about experience with the transfer from the Egan Center to the airport.

The Egan center, in the past did transfer to the airport, but this was during day hours, and ended early evening. The luggage storage had to be claimed, by 5/6pm.

Not sure what your getting off the ship earlier? It isn't difficult for anyone to get out early.

You have considered the Avis rental, in my opinion, grossly superior option to consider. Simple walk over to the car and a 1 minute drive back to pick up family and luggage.

Do you feel Portage glacier tour is not worth it?

Barely for me, and that's with a 2 for 1 coupon. I'd never pay full price. By comparison, a PWS boat tour out of Whittier is 10 times better.

You have considered the Avis rental, in my opinion, grossly superior option to consider. Simple walk over to the car and a 1 minute drive back to pick up family and luggage.

Sold out! :( I do remember checking a few months back and I don’t think they had any larger vehicles left, now they are completely sold out. I’ll keep checking.

Sold out! :( I do remember checking a few months back and I don’t think they had any larger vehicles left, now they are completely sold out. I’ll keep checking.

Call them direct. Maybe you could wait list, be notified? A few years ago- I got a car, walk up that was "extra", as example. Maybe worth a try?