Carnival Freedom - Western Caribbean: Best beach?

Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. They have a swim pool and a kiddie cove with smooth sand and shallow water. It costs 21 dollars to get into the park but that entitles you to lockers free, showers, palapas and chairs. There are stores and restaurants, but you can run a tab from your palapa with Pedro. you will have to taxi to and from beach, but there are 20 waiting at both ends, just remember which port you stopped at (there are 3) or remember the name of the ship you are on. i have to agree with Tabyana in Roatan.

Tabyana Beach is beautiful, but, the swarms of vendors ruined the whole experience for me. Granted they (vendors) are not allowed to come up to where the chairs are, but you have to wade through them to get to the water, and they're all yelling to get your attention while trying to sell their wares. Not a very peaceful environment in my opinion.

Tabyana beach is very nice and good off shore snorkeling. We had horrible storms when we were there so we didn't get to fully enjoy it. Here is a picture:

2qv82oi.jpg[/img]

In Belize there aren't really an beaches you can get to without an excursion. We did Goff's Caye and it was beautiful. I have a review linked in my signature but the pictures aren't available anymore due to a hosting site change :(

But it is literally small tiny island in the middle of the ocean. Water was so clear. Like pool water.

4kzq5z.jpg[/img]

1jm3cg.jpg[/img]

Tabyana beach is very nice and good off shore snorkeling. We had horrible storms when we were there so we didn't get to fully enjoy it. Here is a picture:

2qv82oi.jpg[/img]

In Belize there aren't really an beaches you can get to without an excursion. We did Goff's Caye and it was beautiful. I have a review linked in my signature but the pictures aren't available anymore due to a hosting site change :(

But it is literally small tiny island in the middle of the ocean. Water was so clear. Like pool water.

4kzq5z.jpg[/img]

1jm3cg.jpg[/img]

@brookeq Thank you for sharing! We have Tabyana added to our plans. Did you do the ship excursion or DIY?

Thanks all for your responses!

@brookeq Thank you for sharing! We have Tabyana added to our plans. Did you do the ship excursion or DIY?

Thanks all for your responses!

We hired a driver from island marketing. They met us and took us there. Our chairs and a drink were included.

Hello we'll be on Carnival Freedom later this month. The stops are in Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I'm curious which of these ports has the best beach for relaxation. We will have a 2-yr old with us so it can't be adults-only.

If Roatan is actually Mahogany Bay, then you can walk to the beach right there. It's more like a private island. Great for kids and adults.

Without a doubt Little French Key in Roatan. It’s an actual private island with different alcoves/beaches so it’s not one continuous beach where everyone is on top of each other. Very private and secluded even when there are a lot of people. Plus they have monkeys, birds, jaguars, and a bunch of mostly rescued animals. I can’t recommend this place enough. Transportation is included and you make your reservation directly on their website as it’s not available through Carnival. I have brought close to 200 people there and all but 1 said they would for sure go back and it was the highlight of their cruise.

http://www.littlefrenchkey.com

If Roatan is actually Mahogany Bay, then you can walk to the beach right there. It's more like a private island. Great for kids and adults.

True. But, I must say that the man-made beach at Mahogany Bay is not nearly as beautiful as the beach at Tabayana posted by member brookeq in post #8. Having said that, if the OP is docking at Mahogany Bay, then that is an easy, convenient, and safe beach experience versus taking a taxi ride to the west bay beaches. But the "gravel" beach at Mahogany Bay simply cannot compare to the beauty of the soft white sand and clear water at Tabayana beach.

Hello we'll be on Carnival Freedom later this month. The stops are in Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I'm curious which of these ports has the best beach for relaxation. We will have a 2-yr old with us so it can't be adults-only.

I have not been to Little French Key but have been to West Bay (which is going to be somewhat less crowded vs Tabayana before the cliff) and Tabayana also. As the other poster said Goff's Caye is really nice (in Belize) with little ones. And Cozumel has some great family beaches that will be less crowded than Tabayana.

So my answer is it really depends on what you are planning on doing in the ports. Roatan is our favorite and my kids have loved holding sloths, monkeys and petting iguanas. There is a lot to do here and it is a beautiful island so if you have the funds, I would book a tailored shore excision with Victor Bodden or Island Marketing to cater to your 2 year old and use one of the other two places for a beach day. If you are only doing something in one port, then I would say Goff's Caye and use the port beach at Roatan - though you would be missing so much. All 3 ports are fun and easy with kids.

If you are going to Roatan on Carnival you will stop at Mahogany Bay. Carnival built this port. There is a huge beach on an island right next to the port. You can walk over a bridge or take a cable car there. You can go back and forth or the cable car for no extra charge after you pay once. Don't know what they charge for the cable car now, when we went, a long time ago, it was $5.

It is a LONG tender ride into Belize and there are no beaches near the port. You can take a ship's tour or a water taxi to an island with beaches. Or, go cave tubing. That is lots of fun. You have a 20-30 minute walk thru the rainforest to the river. You can do the same tour for a lot less $$ and fewer people than the ship's tour if you just google cave tubing, Belize.

In Cozumel, you dock with lots of shops, no beaches right there. A cab will take you to the beach you want.

Check out the ports here on CC. This will name beaches in each port.

If you are going to Roatan on Carnival you will stop at Mahogany Bay. Carnival built this port. There is a huge beach on an island right next to the port. You can walk over a bridge or take a cable car there. You can go back and forth or the cable car for no extra charge after you pay once. Don't know what they charge for the cable car now, when we went, a long time ago, it was $5.

It is a LONG tender ride into Belize and there are no beaches near the port. You can take a ship's tour or a water taxi to an island with beaches. Or, go cave tubing. That is lots of fun. You have a 20-30 minute walk thru the rainforest to the river. You can do the same tour for a lot less $$ and fewer people than the ship's tour if you just google cave tubing, Belize.

In Cozumel, you dock with lots of shops, no beaches right there. A cab will take you to the beach you want.

Check out the ports here on CC. This will name beaches in each port.

Thanks Bonnie!

Sent from mobile app

True. But, I must say that the man-made beach at Mahogany Bay is not nearly as beautiful as the beach at Tabayana posted by member brookeq in post #8. Having said that, if the OP is docking at Mahogany Bay, then that is an easy, convenient, and safe beach experience versus taking a taxi ride to the west bay beaches. But the "gravel" beach at Mahogany Bay simply cannot compare to the beauty of the soft white sand and clear water at Tabayana beach.

Agree with this. It would be a shame to go to Roatan and NOT go to West Bay.

Mahogany Bay is a poor excuse for a beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this. It would be a shame to go to Roatan and NOT go to West Bay.

Mahogany Bay is a poor excuse for a beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your feedback. We're considering all options. I also live by "carpe diem" so most likely we'll venture out to Tabayana. Thanks.

Sent from mobile app