how much roubles to take

could someone give me a idea how much roubles to bring for extra's like using the public toilets, we are on a organized tour which supplys lunches included so only need roubles for tips and toilets etc

could someone give me a idea how much roubles to bring for extra's like using the public toilets, we are on a organized tour which supplys lunches included so only need roubles for tips and toilets etc

Many of us have survived with no Rubles. Used CC’s for purchases and can get away with $ or € for incidentals including toilets. At many sites toilets are staffed by LOL’s, who expect some enumeration. I gave a dollar and got 10 rubles in change. Brought it home as a souvenir. Others on these boards often talk about getting small amounts of rubles for public toilets from their tour guides who they recompense with other currencies.

If this is indeed the case (and I'm afraid it is), it just shows you how far removed is a Baltic cruise experience of SPb from experiencing real life in the city...

I used to think Viking's Russian river cruises were the ultimate escapist sanitized kind of deal, but this beats them fair and square.

As others have posted, you'll get by with plastic and euros. One or the other or both are accepted at many places, including souvenir-type shops.

But I suggest you do what we did........

We like the reassurance of local shrapnel in our pockets in case of any little emergency, so we took just enough roubles for the guide's tip - if we spent none, none would be wasted.

But at the lunchtime restaurants, altho the meals were included the establishments only accepted roubles (no plastic or foreign) for any extras. We washed our lunches down with beers, others had only table water.

At the end of the tour we gave our remaining roubles to the guide, & topped-up the shortfall with euros.

JB :)

If this is indeed the case (and I'm afraid it is), it just shows you how far removed is a Baltic cruise experience of SPb from experiencing real life in the city...

I used to think Viking's Russian river cruises were the ultimate escapist sanitized kind of deal, but this beats them fair and square.

I'm sure if you believe spending cash Rubles is the marker of an "authentic" trip, nobody will stop you from spending as many of them as you want.

I have been to Saint Petersburg and Moscow multiple times. I don't frequent "touristy" restaurants and shops. I use my credit card (visa) almost exclusively and get what rubles I need from bank ATMs. On a short cruise visit, you would probably need no rubles but if you want some local currency, you can use the ATM at the cruise port. Like JB, I always like to have some local currency.

I'm sure if you believe spending cash Rubles is the marker of an "authentic" trip, nobody will stop you from spending as many of them as you want.

:-) I see your point, but no, spending cash rubles per se is not a marker of"authenticity" - in fact, i must have mentioned before that I went for 2 days in SPb totally cashless - and cardless, armed only with GoogleWallet on my phone.

What makes a trip "real" for me is interacting with real-life people whose job is something other than catering to tourists.

Well, that sounded awfully snotty - but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

In addition, it wouldn't hurt to repeat that if a LOL at a public restroom accepts your 1 euro coin, it is she who's doing you a favor, not the other way round. If a souvenir vendor by the Hermitage accepts your dollar bills, you can rest assured that you're being overcharged :-)

Just got off the NCL Breakaway this am. The only place we would have wanted rubles was the water vendors at Peterhof. Otherwise, there was either no opportunity to shop or they took card/euro. We grabbed some at an ATM (not for 7%fee at port) for our guises tip- but with better planning could have used euro/USD.

When we went to SPB we only send CC. We always have a stash of Euros, but certainly didn't need roubles.

Many places are becoming cashless societies, so find these days that unless you are in a place for a few days local currency isn't really needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got off the NCL Breakaway this am. The only place we would have wanted rubles was the water vendors at Peterhof. Otherwise, there was either no opportunity to shop or they took card/euro. We grabbed some at an ATM (not for 7%fee at port) for our guises tip- but with better planning could have used euro/USD.

soccermom1970, did you notice if you were able to exchange currency on the Breakaway (such as for Rubles, Swedish Krona, etc) or was it only at the ATM at port/in city?