**Photo Review: Norwegian Jewel to Alaska 5/27/18 - 6/4/18

alainamarie

Another excursion (private) we did was at Sitka, with 4 other cc members, where we saw puffins, seals etc.

Like Hawk

Anxious to see more of your photos.

I thought I had finished what I was saying about Hawk. It should be: Like Hawk, we liked Sitka a lot and plan to return there. Our captain of the small boat told us that August is the best month in Sitka to see 50 to 100 whales.

Another excursion (private) we did was at Sitka, with 4 other cc members, where we saw puffins, seals etc.

Like Hawk

Anxious to see more of your photos.

I thought I had finished what I was saying about Hawk. It should be: Like Hawk, we liked Sitka a lot and plan to return there. Our captain of the small boat told us that August is the best month in Sitka to see 50 to 100 whales.

We rode bikes in Sitka to Fortress of the Bear. Along the way we stopped at Whale Point. Didn't see any whales but there was a house for sale next door. Looked it up on Zillow and it's only $2.4 million!

Congratulations on your marriage; I wish you much happiness and many more cruises together! :D Your pictures are beautiful and I'm enjoying your review very much.

Heather

Thank you so much! I hope you continue to enjoy the review. It’s so fun re-living it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We too loved the double rainbow at Dawes Glacier.

We took the "White Bus" to Mendenhall Glacier, but when it showed up in the parking lot it was tan because they had added a 3rd bus so we almost missed it!

Day 5 - Skagway 5/30/18

This is my 2nd time renting a jeep from Alaska Green Jeep and I cannot recommend this company enough. I'm so grateful we had this planned because there were unfortunate events disabling the train from running. They announced overhead that a rockslide took place, so the train could not run. This affected so many people and they were left last minute without any excursions. There are not enough tour companies to keep up with the demand of such a last minute disaster, so a lot of passengers on multiple cruiselines were left without much choice aside from walking around town. This was definitely a HUGE bummer for so many people.

Alaska Green Jeep has a new location, it was quite a hike from our cruise ship - we were in the furthest dock, but don't worry, Pearl was front and center with the best parking spot.

We were docked in the same place as Solstice two years ago, but oh well.

We got to the check in around 9 and were off in our jeep by 930a. We wanted to beat the buses to the Yukon! Total cost is $268 plus you must gas up your jeep when you are done. Gas station is right across the street, so it's SUPER easy. All of the jeeps are new and 4 doors. 4 people could fit comfortably and 5 would be a squeeze unless you're small. You can also select the color of your jeep.

enhance

enhance

I'm excited to hear more! Thanks so much for posting the review. We are on the Jewel in July on a Southbound inside passage itinerary. I hope they get some of the staffing kinks worked out by then.

We're probably right ahead of you....we're on the July 9 Northbound. Will try to post a review...but I admit...I'm horrible about doing things as I go because I get" caught up in the moment" of cruising.

The Jeep tour sounds amazing. Following your post I did my own research and everyone that does it seems to love it. Think it might be perfect for my wife and I. Thanks for the recommendation - I hadn't heard anything about it before now.

Thank you for a very nice post Alainamarie. I appreciate the time you took for your review and advice. With that being said, may I ask a question as we will be sailing mostly the same route in two weeks on the Bliss? We have a few people in our group susceptible to seasickness. I have been told that there may only be a place or two where the water would get "rough". I know weather plays a big factor, but can you relate what your trip was like in regards to the tranquility , or lack of the water? We already have ALL of the sea sick remedies, but just want to get an idea. Thanks in advance for any response, and again, fantastic posts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Day 5 - Skagway 5/30/18

This is my 2nd time renting a jeep from Alaska Green Jeep and I cannot recommend this company enough. I'm so grateful we had this planned because there were unfortunate events disabling the train from running. They announced overhead that a rockslide took place, so the train could not run. This affected so many people and they were left last minute without any excursions. There are not enough tour companies to keep up with the demand of such a last minute disaster, so a lot of passengers on multiple cruiselines were left without much choice aside from walking around town. This was definitely a HUGE bummer for so many people.

Alaska Green Jeep has a new location, it was quite a hike from our cruise ship - we were in the furthest dock, but don't worry, Pearl was front and center with the best parking spot.

We were docked in the same place as Solstice two years ago, but oh well.

We got to the check in around 9 and were off in our jeep by 930a. We wanted to beat the buses to the Yukon! Total cost is $268 plus you must gas up your jeep when you are done. Gas station is right across the street, so it's SUPER easy. All of the jeeps are new and 4 doors. 4 people could fit comfortably and 5 would be a squeeze unless you're small. You can also select the color of your jeep.

Thanks for this...we are booking for our August cruise on the Pearl (glad they get a better parking spot :) ).

Following, Alaska is on the bucket list. I did a short trip in 2015 as far as Ketchikan and loved it!

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much! I encourage you to book that dream trip! Life is short. :)

The Jeep tour sounds amazing. Following your post I did my own research and everyone that does it seems to love it. Think it might be perfect for my wife and I. Thanks for the recommendation - I hadn't heard anything about it before now.

It's a great company and it's a great value considering you can fit up to almost 5 people in the full sized jeep. We were only 2, but still consider it a good value as we could go as we please. Skagway is a favorite port of mine!!

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for a very nice post Alainamarie. I appreciate the time you took for your review and advice. With that being said, may I ask a question as we will be sailing mostly the same route in two weeks on the Bliss? We have a few people in our group susceptible to seasickness. I have been told that there may only be a place or two where the water would get "rough". I know weather plays a big factor, but can you relate what your trip was like in regards to the tranquility , or lack of the water? We already have ALL of the sea sick remedies, but just want to get an idea. Thanks in advance for any response, and again, fantastic posts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

You are very welcome - thank YOU for reading along! I have several days left to go!

Our sea days were the only ones (mostly the first sea day) where people complained of sea sickness. I'm talking multiple people. People were lined up waiting for the shop to open for 9am Saturday morning to purchase medication. They do have the bands you can purchase, but I would just go very prepared if you are susceptible (sounds like you are already prepared!).

I experienced zero sea sickness, so I paid no attention to weather or water, etc. Sorry I can't help much, but I do not recall the weather being horrifying.

I am truly enjoying your review and thanks for taking the time to include all the great photos. Your pictures are increasing my excitement for the Alaskan cruise we have booked for next year.

Thank YOU for reading along! You will love Alaska, so I hope this review is helpful. In my signature, I reviewed my cruise on Celebrity from 2016 if you'd like to check that one out too.

Thanks for this...we are booking for our August cruise on the Pearl (glad they get a better parking spot :) ).

Thank you for reading! Aren't you friends with Shadowmeboy? You and I are neighbors - I live in Issaquah!! We should meet up sometime!

You are about to be bombarded with a BUNCH of photos throughout our journey from Skagway into Fraser and then ending at Emerald Lake.

We made a pitstop on the way back in Carcross for lunch. Boy has Carcross changed in two years!! There was a bit of road construction, so just note that and plan accordingly. Didn't affect us much because we were in Fraser by 10.

It takes about 1.5 hours to get to Emerald Lake without multiple stops.

Border -

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We were pretty hungry by now, so we went into Carcross for lunch. There's an entirely new area since my last visit. We drove past the place I ate two years ago and it's boarded up.

enhance

enhance

Food was good and quick.

Here are a couple of other shots near by -

enhance

enhance

We were minding our own business on our way back and we ran into two bears! I could only get pictures of this one because it was on my side of the road. The second bear was on the driver's side and my husband refused to let me out of the car to take pictures. :') Just kidding of course!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance