The Restaurant

lextrvlr

In reading as many reviews as I can find, I find a lack of information on dining in The Restaurant. Most comments, good or bad, seem to center on the specialty restaurants or the self-service World Cafe. I would appreciate knowing:

1. Can reservations be made for dining in The Restaurant?
  2. If not, is there generally a wait for a table? Is there a line?
  3. Is dining at a leisurely pace with orders taken course by course?
  4. Are tables for two readily available?
  5. Apply the same questions to breakfast service.

Thanks very much to anyone who has experience with Viking Oceans' Restaurant. I know that many have lauded the World Cafe but I am not keen on buffets..

In reading as many reviews as I can find, I find a lack of information on dining in The Restaurant. Most comments, good or bad, seem to center on the specialty restaurants or the self-service World Cafe. I would appreciate knowing:

Thanks very much to anyone who has experience with Viking Oceans' Restaurant. I know that many have lauded the World Cafe but I am not keen on buffets..

We ate dinner in The Restaurant several times, and enjoyed it very much. No reservations are required, and in fact they may not be possible. We did not experience a wait for a table at all. There are plenty of tables for two, and they are located in such a way that you may get involved in conversations with a couple at the table next to you, or just talk privately. It is also possible to request seats at a larger table of people seeking the company of other guests for the evening's meal. That's a nice way to meet people.

Dinner is a leisurely process, with multiple courses and plenty of wine. I cannot comment on breakfast in The Restaurant, as we ate in the World Cafe every morning. Our cruise did not have any sea days, and we were generally in a hurry in the mornings. We did not use room service, although many have commented about the prompt delivery of hot food in the morning.

I would suggest that, even if you are not keen on buffets, you might be very pleasantly surprised by The World Cafe.

You can make reservations for The Restaurant, at least in the evenings, but we never felt the need to do this. There was never a wait, except maybe if we arrived at a prime time and were 3 or 4th in line and they had to seat "the line" but then easily got our table. Very fast; not really a wait as they always had someone ready to show you your table. Never had a problem getting a table for 2. We always ordered appetizer and mains and later ordered any chocolate things! Never felt rushed except for the last evening when everyone wanted to talk to their fav wine person or fav wait staff. (guilty)

We had breakfast in the World Cafe so can't speak to The restaurant. Try the World Cafe -- you will be surprised by the choices, the staff and yes, there were always tables available.

We ate at The Restaurant several times, too, and the only time we could not get seated right away was after the early show in the theater let out. There must have been 20+ people in line so we just went to The World Café and ate there.

Thanks to everyone for your insight. I am glad to know that The Restaurant will provide a good experience.

With all the accolades, I am certain that the World Café provides outstanding offerings. I, however, hold that dining requires both great food and great service at 50% each. Unless I am misinformed, the World Café lacks service. I am too old, too stubborn, and my hand shakes too much to wait on anyone, including myself.

Again, many thanks for the information.

Thanks to everyone for your insight. I am glad to know that The Restaurant will provide a good experience.

With all the accolades, I am certain that the World Café provides outstanding offerings. I, however, hold that dining requires both great food and great service at 50% each. Unless I am misinformed, the World Café lacks service. I am too old, too stubborn, and my hand shakes too much to wait on anyone, including myself.

It is hard to avoid the buffet completely but there are plenty of staff working the floor (not just cooking for the line) who will be more than happy to help you, carrying your plate and even dishing food on to it for you. All you need to do is to do is to explain your situation to one of the suits (aka manager on duty) and they will provide you with whatever help you need. After the first couple of days, you probably won't even have to ask.

There were several passengers on our cruise who, the minute they walked in the cafe in the morning, had someone assisting them. Heck, the minute I sat down there was someone asking if I wanted juice, water, coffee? I said latte & it was delivered -- I could very easily have gotten it myself. I'd pick up fruit and yogurt and was asked if f they could carry it to my table. There really is a lot of staff in the Cafe and they are so very helpful. Yes, the World Cafe is a buffet BUT there is a lot of service and assistance when needed. In my opinion, the World Cafe does not lack service and will provide more when needed, just let them know.

I totally agree about the World Cafe. I never have eaten at a buffet at dinner on any of the more than 50 cruises we've been on on mainstream cruise lines. Didn't anticipate eating at the World Cafe on Viking. We ate there a LOT! Loved it. The service was great, beer and wine service, made to order steaks and chicken. We really liked it. The Restaurant was fine as well. For us, it took too long on many occasions (2 to 2 and a half hours) There were also not as many choices as at the World Cafe. We also loved Manfredi's and ate there 7 or 8 times. I was not aware that you could make reservations for 2 at The Restaurant. Maybe that has changed since we were onboard last year. Whatever you do you will enjoy.

We had only had one cruise experience before Viking, that was with P&O. Their buffet was a shambles, like a motorway service station so we were not feeling confident about buffets. Like others have said the word cafe is far at the other end of the scale. The food is lovely and often serves what is on offer in the main restaurant plus other things. If you require some assistance the staff would be more than willing to help. We only ate in the main restaurant once and that was because the portion sizes were way too big for me. I hate food waste and sending back more than half of a meal goes against the grain. It was lovely to go to the world cafe and enjoy a cooked to order fillet steak with salad or just a small slice of meat with vegetables. I’m sure you will enjoy the Viking experience wherever you eat.

The main restaurant has a good menu and generally good service. We enjoyed the proximity of others at tables for two and have had some great conversations.

The main dining room is absolutely enormous but is divided into sections so you don't feel too much like you're in such a huge space. The staff do very well to manage it all.

A top tip - try the main dining room for breakfast. The place is very quiet indeed and the menu and service is terrific. A great start to the day.

I appreciate all the reassurance with regard to the World Café.

Has anyone had breakfast in The Restaurant? Does it indeed serve breakfast, albeit late?

We ate breakfast in the MDR a couple of times during our Homelands cruise in the summer of 2016 … which I know is positively ancient history and things may well have changed considerably by now.

The restaurant wasn’t always open for breakfast during our cruise and when it was the menu was limited and the portions gargantuan! We wanted a quiet and peaceful meal but felt a bit rushed. I’m not sure the “casual” nature of a breakfast vs. dinner service translated well in that venue and it just felt"awkward".

Despite my issues with buffets in general (I find them logisticallychallenging and intimidating … but that’s my problem!), we found that the World Café was actually a more relaxed venue. There are tons of staff

available and willing to assist with anything you need or want!

We ate many breakfasts at the restaurant and also ordered room service on our homeland cruise last month. I love the restaurant. On our cruise they opened at 8 and then were only opened until 9:30. I could order fresh fruit plate, oatmeal or eggs, etc. My husband loved the waffles and yogurt. Definitely a great experience.

Easy to get a table for 2 or sharing. No wait at all.

At dinner if there is a wait because a show got out and everyone went right to the restaurant, the wait is about 5 minutes and they pass out a glass of champagne because you had to wait .no biggie imho

I appreciate all the reassurance with regard to the World Café.

Has anyone had breakfast in The Restaurant? Does it indeed serve breakfast, albeit late?

Again, thanks everyone.

We mostly had room service breakfast as it just made getting ready for an early excursion easier. Also it was nice to have breakfast in the sunshine with a nice view. We had some breakfasts in the restaurant and they were very good. The quality of their eggs were excellent and they cooked them perfectly to your requirements.