Alaska 2018: Anyone get to the Tree House at Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge?

Princess Cruises Opens Denali Treehouse for Mountain Views and Activities

January 15, 2018

princess-treehouse.jpg

(1:20 p.m. EST) -- As part of its offerings for travelers on pre- and post-cruise stays near Alaska's Denali National Park, Princess Cruises has opened a treehouse at its Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.

The treehouse, built last year on Animal Planet TV show "Treehouse Masters," is the first of its kind in Alaska, showcasing the longtime partnership between Princess and Discovery Communications.

The treehouse will provide phenomenal views of nearby Mount McKinley, as well as 500 square feet of activity space for visitors. One of the highest land-based north-facing viewing areas, the structure is powered by solar panels and reachable via a short trail loop.

Treehouse events for 2018 include:

Tales From the Sourdough Expedition: For a fee, visitors can join this 45-minute event, held five days a week. They will meet author, world record holder and amputee mountain climber Todd Huston, who will entertain them with tales of the first trek to the top of Mt. McKinley as they hike the short trail to the treehouse. The "adventure" will culminate with hot chocolate and donuts at the treehouse.

Sappy Hour: Designed with foodies in mind, this daily extra-fee event offers birch syrup tastings and a selection of other locally produced tree-derived products. While they sample the goods, travelers can also learn about how syrup is made.

Trivia at the Treehouse: Free for anyone staying at the lodge, daily Alaska-themed trivia will be hosted by the lodge's resident naturalist.

They didn't have this when we were at the lodge but we will be at the lodge again one day and will definitely check it out. It looks very cool but I have no real interest in the "extra cost" activities they are talking about. I'd just like to visit the tree house and check out the view. :)

(Of course my wife may have different ideas about the "extra cost" activities. In that case I may well be attending. ;p)

We were there week before last and saw the treehouse. Did not realize there was potential to go up there. Was up in the trees and not sure how good the view would be for Denali, but we did not go up there. Saw nothing mentioned in The Patter or anywhere else about going to the treehouse. May have missed it.

I notice that the informational blurb still refers to Denali as Mt. McKinley. D'Oh! While the info also says it offers "phenomenal views" of the mountain it doesn't mention that the mountain itself spends most of its time hiding behind clouds. :p

I notice that the informational blurb still refers to Denali as Mt. McKinley. D'Oh! While the info also says it offers "phenomenal views" of the mountain it doesn't mention that the mountain itself spends most of its time hiding behind clouds. :p

In that case, you can have "phenomenal views" of clouds.

In that case, you can have "phenomenal views" of clouds.

Heh... We were lucky. Our last day at the lodge all the clouds rolled away and the mountain came out. I had asked to be notified in my room if that happened but didn't realize you have to ask each day so didn't get notified. I was able to snag a picture with my phone but not with the camera. Still, as I said, we were lucky. There was a couple in our tour group who were there for the fifth time and this was the first time they had actually seen the mountain! What makes Denali special is that it rises from nothing. Other large mountains have mountains around them and the terrain has been rising over and over everywhere. Denali just juts up on it's own without all of that other dramatic terrain. The picture I got doesn't do it justice at all. It's pretty darn cool. :cool:

Poopy cell phone pic:

enhance?fromCloud