Tours on Christmas Day and New Years Day

TwoCruisers

We will be going on the Pacific Princess for the 14 Day Caribbean Connoisseur cruise over Christmas and New Year’s.

We will be stopping at St. Barthelemy on Christmas day and Dominica on New Year’s Day. The online Princess tour information talks about shopping in St. Barthelemy and Plantation, Culinary and Botanical Garden tours in Dominica. Has anyone been on this cruise before and are these places actually open for business on these holidays? :confused:

It depends on the vendor. Some places will be open, some not.

Your best bet is to contact the vendor or look their website up on the internet.

I don’t have any particular venders in mind. It’s just that the Princess web site says (for St. Barthelemy) that the ship’s tender will drop us off right in town for independent sightseeing, shopping or dining in town. It sounds to me that this is just a canned statement and has no relevance for our cruise. This is why I have asked if anyone has been on this cruise and knows if shops and other places will be open on Christmas day.

I was in St. Thomas on Christmas day, years ago, and everything was closed.

I hadn't thought of the possibility that many things will be closed on Christmas. Makes sense.

Might mean two less stops to plan for, TwoCruisers.

Please don't overlook any special programs that your ship may offer on Christmas Morning. While they may be geared towards the children aboard, i.e. Santa's arrival and the presentation of gifts, this is a Senior Citizen that always enjoy the experience.

Sailing on a Christmas/New Year's Cruise is an opportunity to experience some atypical cruise entertainment opportunities. If in a port for the holiday, your port experiences will still be there if one takes part in the morning festivities. If one doesn't experience the special events, why is one spending the premium to take such a holiday cruise?

On Christmas I think very little will be open and operating. St. Lucia was mostly closed in 2010 when we stopped there on Christmas. Some tours may be available but most tour operators will be home with family and most tourist destinations will be closed.

Not sure about New Years Day. As the tour you listed has a specific list of destinations, try to find the plantation's and botanical garden's websites or listing on the island's tourism website and see what the hours are.

Emailing the islands' tourism agencies might also work.

I googled statutory holidays:

https://publicholidays.la/saint-barthelemy/2018-dates/

http://www.investdominica.com/country-profile-of-the-commonwealth-of-dominica/public-holidays/

Edited by cruisintoddler

We just spent a week in St. Barthelemy to celebrate our 50th anniversary and asked about what might be open on Christmas Day. We are going on the same cruise as OP.

They said no shops will be open but many restaurants will be open. The tender will drop us off in Gustavia ( capital) probably at the Ferry terminal. There are many restaurants within walking distance of the terminal.

We love the island and the people and are looking forward to stopping there.

Ed & Jean