Pollution in China

Hill260

You will find that most other countries are MUCH filthier than you're accustomed to....the USA is pretty damn clean, compared to other countries. Traveling can be a HUGE culture shock!

Other than Caribbean islands, how many "other" countries have you been to? Have you visited England, France, Holland, Scandanavia.,Iceland, Italy? I have and found them all to be just as clean as the USA. I have not been to Asia so cannot comment on what I have never seen...this is a good policy that you should consider adopting so as not to mislead others. :rolleyes:

Other than Caribbean islands, how many "other" countries have you been to? Have you visited England, France, Holland, Scandanavia.,Iceland, Italy? I have and found them all to be just as clean as the USA. I have not been to Asia so cannot comment on what I have never seen...this is a good policy that you should consider adopting so as not to mislead others. :rolleyes:

The worst air we have experienced outside of China was in Washington, DC. They had an ozone warning or air quality warning or something. There was a noticeable lack of oxygen.

I lived in Korea for six years and I lived in China for six years. Korea is tiny, China is vast. In both countries, large cities experience high levels of air pollution; the intensity of which varies according to local geography and the weather. If you get out of the big cities, you get out of the pollution. Cities located in 'bowls' surrounded by mountains are particularly succeptable i.e. Daegu, Beijing etc.

Every spring/early summer, the entire Korean peninsula is subject to 'yellow dust' storms; as are parts of China. Yellow dust storms are due to desertification - it's ulta-fine, loess soil. Yellow dust storms originate in Mongolia and western China, and are swept east by the prevailing winds at that latitude.

Some of the most polluted cities on earth are found in the coal mining regions of China (see Linfin). Pretty much every large city in China is subject to high levels of air pollution depending on the time of the year.

In China, I lived in Xinzheng - just south of Zhengzhou - where the air pollution was noticeably less (but not non-existent) than a 45-minute bus ride away in the 'big city' (Zhengzhou). In the winter, there are ice fogs - in addition to the 'normal', usually low/medium-level air pollution; plus, the ubiquitous, ever present yellow dust at all times of the year - many people (especially foreigners) 'mistake' for pollution... due to their expectations of high levels of pollution. Their perception of the amount of pollution is skewed. In the cities, it's probably not skewed.

I hope that's as 'clear as mud'. To put it another way - "It depends...".

:confused: ;)

Edited by Bill B

It is interesting that China has driving privileges depending on the license plates. Certain days certain plates can drive. We were never in free moving traffic unless we were in the countryside. The standard time frame to get to point A to point B in the city was 45 minutes...more like an hour. Bumper to bumper, always. The emissions are not controlled, hence part of the pollution problem. Factories and construction is another. The national bird is the “crane” because there are cranes everywhere for putting up high rises

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you know you've arrived in Nam? The oppressive heat and funky smell.

Sorry, I disagree. Odor? I have smelled worse elsewhere in the world. Heat? Yes, it was warm, but not oppressive during my visit.

The people with whom I met in Vietnam were welcoming, helpful, and pleasant. It's their ability of dismissing their recent past and their accepting me as a once-upon-a-time enemy which remains uppermost in my memory about my 3 visits to Vietnam ports.

My frequent visits to India made me question the environmental movement, but my first trip to China led me to completely give up on it. These two countries are so polluted that anything we as Americans do to clean up the Earth won't matter. There are more motor vehicles in Mumbai than all of North America, there are more cars in Shanghai than all of Europe. If you think London (nicknamed the Big Smoke for good reason) or L.A. are polluted, they look like a pristine paradise compared to New Delhi. And it is not just air pollution, because the people of India have no concept of littering and will throw packaging and garbage on the street (there are literally no trash cans). Don't get me started about the lack of public use toilets outside of tourist stops. We need to send the people who are so concerned about single use plastic straws to work on these countries if we want to have any hope of cleaning up the Earth.

Regarding masks, I recommend getting one with a valve, otherwise they get hot and uncomfortable. 3M makes a paper one for about $5 that is N95 rated.

With all respect, but what you are saying is complete nonsense.

Obviously, the USA. has more vehicules than Mumbai, in fact, most Indians do not own a motorized vehicule. Same for your claim regarding cars in Shanghai and Europe...

Also, responsibility always begins with yourself. If you want to be a “leading Nation”, then take your responsibility and give the good example. Otherwise, you are not worth being counted as a “Developed Country”.

Per capita, the USA is by far the greatest pollutor. More than double that of China.

I agree though that the behaviour of most Non-Western people towards the Environment is still severely lacking. The amount of trash on the streets, parks and beaches is sometimes extremely depressing to watch. But once again, Lead by example.👍

To step back from the international pollution squabbles for a moment: We used Vogmasks (both in China and Nepal). Good a filtration, relatively comfy, look cool, washable and last forever. And, put in context of the cost of a trip to Asia, cheap. We've been glad to have them.