Fort Lauderdale - Renaissance Hotel or Embassy Suites???

ChuckL

I'm know it's been asked before, but I apologize for not going through 1300+ pages of threads or receiving dated information on these hotels by doing a search. We'll be taking a cruise in April 2019 that departs on a Monday afternoon, and we will be coming in early on Sunday. I would like to hear from other recent cruisers as to what their experiences have been in either of the two hotels. More specifically:

• Were the rooms outdated and in need of updating/repairs?
  • Were other restaurants, stores and attractions within walking distance from the hotel, and if so, do you have any recommendations for any of those categories?
  • How was the breakfast in the hotel (I know that Embassy Suites has an included cook-to-order breakfast along with it's buffet)?
  • Were you able to check-in early, and if not, was the hotel able to store your luggage until your room was ready?
  • If you had to wait for check in, were you able to use the hotel pool while you waited?
  • How did you get to the cruise port? Did you use shuttle service available from the hotel, or use some other means of transportation? How was your experience in getting to the port?
  • ANY other positive or negative comments on the hotels would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Our group usually splits...some stay at Embassy Suites. Some, us included, stay at Renaissance. Can't go wrong with either. Both located near each other and close to the port. If breakfast is important, the Embassy is probably a better choice. There is a restaurant right next to Renaissance, The Boatyard, that is VERY GOOD. Upscale and a little pricy but our go to place for day before cruise dinner. We also head over to the ship early and grab an early lunch, thus breakfast is not a big deal. Both have nice rooms...don't worry about that.

Never had an issue checking in. We usually get there a little after noon. And yes, both will store luggage pre check in if necessary.

We all Uber to the port. Shuttles are a pain. Stops at other ships, impersonal service, a bit of a cattle car. An Uber is personal. Runs $20-25 for a group of 4 and 8 bags (Uber XL)

Find the best deal and pick. Both are nice.

Perhaps you might consider Hyatt Place as an option too. We used to enjoy Embassy Suites but after our last stay there we found it to be looking dated and we then booked Hyatt Place instead. Great location just behind ES..a lot more updated than ES...good hot buffet breakfast, manager evening happy hour drinks, wonderful staff....and a shuttle from FLL for $2.00 per room. It's now definitely our preferred Fort Lauderdale hotel.

For the best rates book using:

http://www.valuetrips.com

Perhaps you might consider Hyatt Place as an option too. We used to enjoy Embassy Suites but after our last stay there we found it to be looking dated and we then booked Hyatt Place instead. Great location just behind ES..a lot more updated than ES...good hot buffet breakfast, manager evening happy hour drinks, wonderful staff....and a shuttle from FLL for $2.00 per room. It's now definitely our preferred Fort Lauderdale hotel.

For the best rates book using:

www.valuetrips.com

So Hyatt also offers happy hour drinks like Embassy and full breakfast?

Ashland,

When I looked at Fort Lauderdale on the Hyatt website, it looked like there were three locations near the cruiseport. There were two Hyatt Places and one Hyatt House directly across across the street from one of the Hyatt Places. It also looked like only the Hyatt House offered the evening reception, but only on M-Th evenings. Please clarify which of the locations you stayed at. Thanks.

We haven't stayed there since Hyatt Places started offering their breakfast bowls. They also did not have a happy hour then, but I see it mentioned in recent reviews. I guess they're trying to catch up to Embassy Suites.

No Hyatt Place doesn't have a happy hour when we were there last year March...sorry for any confusion :o

Ashland,

When I looked at Fort Lauderdale on the Hyatt website, it looked like there were three locations near the cruiseport. There were two Hyatt Places and one Hyatt House directly across across the street from one of the Hyatt Places. It also looked like only the Hyatt House offered the evening reception, but only on M-Th evenings. Please clarify which of the locations you stayed at. Thanks.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place right next door to the Harbor Shopping area/Publix Market....No evening drinks there (last year March) but they did have a full hot breakfast buffet not just breakfast bowls....Seems like options at the Hyatt's are starting to vary by location.