World Cup Games on Carnival?

ly26

Hi,

We sail out Saturday June 16 on the Sunshine. Has anyone heard if the World Cup games will be televised on the ship? My son is a soccer fan and hopes to see some of the group games.

Thanks!

I was on a ship the last World Cup and yes, they had games. Can’t say which ones, so if he has a particular team, who knows.

One thing that was fun was talking to the crew about the games. A true world flavor going on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my past cruises they played football (american) games in the sports bar/red frog pub with primetime games on the big screen on the lido deck. I'd think they'd do the same for WC games.

I've sailed the opening week of football season the past two years where they have the monday night double header and then thursday night football. The only game they've put on the big lido screen was the Saints game because we were sailing out of New Orleans. Last year they weren't even able to pickup the Thursday night game in the sports bar.

I've sailed the opening week of football season the past two years where they have the monday night double header and then thursday night football. The only game they've put on the big lido screen was the Saints game because we were sailing out of New Orleans. Last year they weren't even able to pickup the Thursday night game in the sports bar.

ah, I was sailing out of Galveston and it was the Cowboys games they had on the big lido screen. So you're right it may only be for "hometown" team games they put up there.

From John Heald's FB Page.

"Hey John,

I know I’m the past you have shown the Super Bowl on the big screens. I’ll be on the Vista next month and was wondering if the World Cup could/would be shown(besides the Sports Bar. Thanks bud and go Germany 1f1e9_1f1ea.png

19247758_2012927432083141_3681899707519945641_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cf09661a23f38120f24364e07378efd5&oe=5BB3161DJohn Heald I am afraid we wont be getting coverage this time around but there will be highlights shown on the news channel. cheers mate and please do ask me if you need anything.ove

My suggestion is if there's an athletic event that's really important to you, don't cruise during it. For me it's football. I had a deal going where I would do 5-day cruises leaving on monday during football season. Then last year my team ended up on monday night football that week. Now I'm sailing the week before football season this year and next. And I won't sail again until after the super bowl.

My suggestion is if there's an athletic event that's really important to you, don't cruise during it. For me it's football. I had a deal going where I would do 5-day cruises leaving on monday during football season. Then last year my team ended up on monday night football that week. Now I'm sailing the week before football season this year and next. And I won't sail again until after the super bowl.

Fortunately, as much as I love soccer, I love cruising more so not the end of the world for me! Last world cup I sailed another line and they had a bunch of themed items, t-shirts, cups, etc. to go along with showing the games. It was really just a fun addition. Still plan to have an amazing time!! :-)

Hi,

We sail out Saturday June 16 on the Sunshine. Has anyone heard if the World Cup games will be televised on the ship? My son is a soccer fan and hopes to see some of the group games.

Thanks!

We sail June 29 on the Sunshine. Would you give us an update on the status of the World Cup games upon your return? We were looking forward to spending quite a bit of time in the sports bar watching soccer while on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sail June 29 on the Sunshine. Would you give us an update on the status of the World Cup games upon your return? We were looking forward to spending quite a bit of time in the sports bar watching soccer while on vacation.

I will post as I get info. Hopefully we can get something. Based on John Heald’s note it might not happen.

I am so surprised that Carnival won't be broadcasting the World Cup games live. It's only the biggest sporting event in the world! Wonder if RCL or NCL are showing the games.

Opening games have been terrific. We shouted ourselves hoarse yesterday during the Spain-Portugal match. Every bar in NYC is showing the matches and they are packed! And this despite the US not qualifying this time.

I was on the Pride last year during the first week of October. They had 3 1:00 NFL games on in the sports bar (and 2 of them on my cabin TV) and 3 4:25 NFL games in the sports bar. Plus, the sunday night, monday night and thursday night games. They also had the wild card MLB playoff games on. The biggest surprise was the last sea day on Saturday when they had SEVEN noon NCAA football games on, then a bunch were shown during the rest of the day. But, with the apparent TV programming changes, I suppose all that is in the past.

I was on the Pride last year during the first week of October. They had 3 1:00 NFL games on in the sports bar (and 2 of them on my cabin TV) and 3 4:25 NFL games in the sports bar. Plus, the sunday night, monday night and thursday night games. They also had the wild card MLB playoff games on. The biggest surprise was the last sea day on Saturday when they had SEVEN noon NCAA football games on, then a bunch were shown during the rest of the day. But, with the apparent TV programming changes, I suppose all that is in the past.

Three noon and three 3pm games? Interesting. You can’t do that in the United States without Sunday ticket. There is an international online version of Sunday ticket but I wouldn’t think carnival would spring for it and I doubt their internet is strong enough to stream it.

I won’t go on a ship on a Sunday during football season but I did the mon-sat cruises out of New Orleans the first week the season the last two years. On Monday night they had the games in the sports bar both years. Those are ESPN games. Last year they had the saints game on Lido since they were on Monday night. Two years ago the Thursday night game which is NFL Network and sometimes NBC was on in the sports bar. Last year they could not pickup the Thursday night NFL game at all. They were able to get the Thursday night college game on ESPN.

The college football part would be the smaller surprise because there are so many channels with college football. I know the Red Frog Pub on the Breeze had ESPN, FS1, and SEC Network...all of which have college football all day on Saturday...none of which have Sunday NFL games.

Edited by Saint Greg

My feelings exactly. I will no longer cruise during football season unless it's like you stated where I know I won't miss any important games. That greatly narrows the field for me because I don't like to cruise when most kids are out of school (too many kids on a ship are a real buzz kill). My fall and winter revolve around NFL and SEC football games. It's a shame the cruise lines no longer allow people to comingle their sports and cruising interests.

My feelings exactly. I will no longer cruise during football season unless it's like you stated where I know I won't miss any important games. That greatly narrows the field for me because I don't like to cruise when most kids are out of school (too many kids on a ship are a real buzz kill). My fall and winter revolve around NFL and SEC football games. It's a shame the cruise lines no longer allow people to comingle their sports and cruising interests.

The last week of Feb and first week of March has been great for me as far as football season being over and it's just before spring break so still very few kids. This is my first year trying the last week of August for my second cruise. I'm hoping most kids will be back in school by then. I know the kids where I live will have been back in for 2-3 weeks. I will miss the last NFL preseason game and the first week of college football. I'm sure a lot of college games will be on the ship but my school will be on ESPN+ which has to be streamed with a subscription. But that's better than risking missing a regular season Saints game.

Those days are long gone.

The “Broadcast licensing issues” may have to with expensive rights fees, or perhaps FIFA gave exclusivity to Princess. Nine of their Ships will carry the games. Given the Sports creative financing issues, one may assume the Organization would demand as much cash as they could get their hands on.