Review:Radiance June 2018 southbound

Thank you so much for this great review! We're doing this cruise in a few weeks and we're doing the bear search with Hoonah Travel Adventures! How was that tour besides seeing bears? What were the transportation and terrain like? What did you wear for it? Did you need insect repellant going into the woods?

Thank you so much for this great review! We're doing this cruise in a few weeks and we're doing the bear search with Hoonah Travel Adventures! How was that tour besides seeing bears? What were the transportation and terrain like? What did you wear for it? Did you need insect repellant going into the woods?

Hi, ISP was one of our favourite ports. It is brand new built by the local families. Allow at least 10 minutes, if not more to get to the meeting point as first you walk across a bridge, then through the meeting centre,...but you meet the private tours along a pathway at the back.

This was the only place in Alaska we encountered flies/mosquitos/buzzy things... and they were everwhere and I mean everywhere...all over our clothing...so we quickly sprayed Deet. We were in the van most of the time so just wore our jeans and jackets.

The bus was new, clean and seated about 12 I would say. The trip started at 7.00, we did the 'wilderness tour and brown bear search'. Our guide was a local FN, and his brother was driving the other bus.

We saw one bear on the road but then a ranger truck went past and scared it off.... we then spent about another hour looking - we learnt a lot about the different sorts of bear 'poop'.... how to tell if it was a lady bear or a man bear who had left it behind... and we weren't holding out much hope for seeing any more, but then we went to another area by a lake; we saw where the grass by the water had recently been flattened by them lying there... and then.. there was mummy and 2 babies about 40 ft from us.

We all got out of the bus and our guide said she was not frightened of us as our presence was actually protecting her from any male predators.

His brother was carrying a rifle just in case though. As they were FN they actually believed the bear was an ancestor (grandma) so the guide was talking to her the whole time in a low voice.

We must have watched them for about 20 minutes...it was magical.

We were dropped in 'town'. An amazing little place and it was a lovely walk back along the waterfront to the new port facilities with many shopping opportunities. The bathroom facilities in town were spotless. The van also carried water and energy chew bars.

We also saw eagles and deer.

One of the most memorable days of our time in Alaska. We paid $234.20 for 2 for the 3hr trip.

IMG_6696-L.jpg

IMG_6432-L.jpg

IMG_6776-L.jpg

I hope you are as fortunate as we were!

The hunt for bears...2 Brits in Alaska ....

We booked this cruise the day it went on sale, wanting to get the coveted aft 9256.

We then spent 2 years planning our trip.

First lesson Alaska is very very expensive. What ever your budget is... double it!

We flew from London to Seattle, spent just over 24 hours there. Hyatt house Hotel is right opposite the space needle and Chihuly. Ask for room 811...fabulous views.

7d711c0073aba812dc424f9fa877551c.jpg

We loved Chihuly and we loved Pike place market and generally we loved Seattle. Given our 8 hr time difference we were still up early the next day. Breakfast in Pikes market with wonderful views, a quick emergency tee shirt buying trip as the weather was shaping up to be much warmer than we expected, then an Uber to the airport and ready for the next part...

Tip: go up the Columbia SkyView 73rd floor observatory instead of the Space Needle because it’s cheaper at $14.75 ( also offers an over 55 for under $10) it is taller, and your photos will have the Space Needle in them!

7a24be93b8d8e7dc2981890d05057fc5.jpg

We flew Alaskan up to Anchorage. They charge $25per bag in addition to the air fare. You pay this at the kerbside.

Stayed for 2 nights at the Ramada. In desperate need of renovation, but comfortable beds and friendly staff. A few blocks from the centre. Free shuttle from the airport and to the train station. Had a super meal at Tequila 61.

Tip: Hire a car via Enterprise on E 5th - it was only $160 for 3 days ( cheaper than hiring at the airport.)

Drove down to Girdwood, the Wildlife centre and Whittier on Sunday.

Drove up to Denali, via Talkeetna for lunch. Quaint little town. We stayed 2 nights at the Home Dome in Healy. Ate at Prospectors Pizza and 49th brewing. Did the transit to Eielson. $50pp. Not much success on bears....the van behind had a mother and 2 cubs lie in the road in front of them!

Tip: We had bought The Milepost beforehand. I wouldn’t say it is a must have though. Viewpoints are well signposted on the road.

Back to Anchorage and one more night in the Ramada. Then early start for the 6;45 train to Seward. You must be at station about an hour beforehand and you have to go into the office to collect your tickets. No one tells you that on the paperwork. Suitcases checked through to our Hotel in Seward which was unexpected and efficient. If you can afford it, pay for the Gold service, fabulous glass domed railcards, breakfast included and 2 free alcoholic beverages. Yes I know it was only 6:45 but free champagne is good at any hour right?. $212pp

Seward: stayed at Harbor 360. Nice views but very basic breakfast included on paper plates. DIY bagels and some yoghurts. At $339 for one night I expected more.

Dinner at Chinooks... another $120 meal...

Northern Latitudes Whale watching.. small boat and only 4 of us. Superb experience and highly recommended $163pp.

Hotel transported our cases to the cruise ship for us.

Easiest check in ever. Muster was at 6 and sailaway was at 8

FYI: When the ship was docked in Seward there was an additional 7% tax added to the bar bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going next week and also booked the day it came out so I could get room 9256. I cannot wait. We are doing one week on land before. Thank you for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums