Bringing More Wine Than One Bottle Per Person.

astro57

Can I bring more than 1 bottle per person and pay corkage at embarkation? For example, last Princess cruise I brought 10 bottles on board, payed corkage on 8. Been searching but no luck finding an answer.

Not on carnival. One bottle of wine 750 ml or less per person over 21 is all that is allowed. I am lucky in that most of the people I travel with either do not drink at all or do not drink wine, so I can bring more than my share, i just have them carry it on as their allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival has some pretty reasonable wine packages that you should look into. From what I understand there are several levels to choose from. I don’t know too much about it but I’ve seen comments about it that were pretty positive. It may not be much more than paying all of those corkage fees.

How did you manage to bring 10 bottles on board Princess when they have the same restrictions as Carnival? Also in my experience corkage is rarely actually charged in the MDR on Princess, but to answer your question. No you can't.

Can I bring more than 1 bottle per person and pay corkage at embarkation? For example, last Princess cruise I brought 10 bottles on board, payed corkage on 8. Been searching but no luck finding an answer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

How did you manage to bring 10 bottles on board Princess when they have the same restrictions as Carnival? Also in my experience corkage is rarely actually charged in the MDR on Princess, but to answer your question. No you can't.

Princess had no issues, I just paid the fee and they put stickers on the bottles. Good to go for the dining room or anywhere.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Princess has a different policy than Carnival's:

Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Beer and liquor are not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded. Each passenger of drinking age can bring one bottle of wine or Champagne (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the cabin. When brought to restaurants, a $15 corkage fee applies. Bringing additional wine or Champagne bottles aboard is allowed, but each bottle will incur a $15 corkage fee, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

When we sailed Princess, we believed all the posts about unlimited wine being permitted, and brought 6 bottles for the two of us.

Four of which were promptly confiscated, and returned on our last afternoon. We ended up leaving two of them for our cabin steward.

Not on carnival. One bottle of wine 750 ml or less per person over 21 is all that is allowed. I am lucky in that most of the people I travel with either do not drink at all or do not drink wine, so I can bring more than my share, i just have them carry it on as their allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do the same. DH doesn't drink wine so he brings one for me. On our upcoming cruise Sis and BIL are each bringing a bottle for me too!

You can always toss some extra bottles in your checked luggage. We do that with cheap bottles so if they take them, who cares.

When we sailed Princess, we believed all the posts about unlimited wine being permitted, and brought 6 bottles for the two of us.

Four of which were promptly confiscated, and returned on our last afternoon. We ended up leaving two of them for our cabin steward.

That is odd. There are wine declaration tables when embarking Princess where you pay the $15.00 dollar corkage fee for each extra bottle of wine - they mark it down and it gets added to your shipboard expense account. They put a sticker on the bottles that you have paid for and you can then take those bottles to the dining rooms, etc. for consumption.

They shouldn't have confiscated your bottles - unless maybe you told them that you didn't want to pay the corkages fees?

That is odd. There are wine declaration tables when embarking Princess where you pay the $15.00 dollar corkage fee for each extra bottle of wine - they mark it down and it gets added to your shipboard expense account. They put a sticker on the bottles that you have paid for and you can then take those bottles to the dining rooms, etc. for consumption.

They shouldn't have confiscated your bottles - unless maybe you told them that you didn't want to pay the corkages fees?

We were never offered an alternative to handing the extras over. The table they sent us to filled out labels with our name and cabin number, and told us we’d get them back the last afternoon. It was our first experience with Princess, so we didn’t want to argue.

We were never offered an alternative to handing the extras over. The table they sent us to filled out labels with our name and cabin number, and told us we’d get them back the last afternoon. It was our first experience with Princess, so we didn’t want to argue.

Oh, that's a shame. I don't know how they got their policy so wrong but they really messed up. :(

Princess had no issues, I just paid the fee and they put stickers on the bottles. Good to go for the dining room or anywhere.
I stand corrected. Thx for the info. Back to Princess for tge next cruise!

Nope, not a chance. They're very strict with their one bottle per person rule.

Hmmm haven't tried it in several years as we don't drink wine much anymore. However a couple cruises we put two in my carry on and two in my husbands and they went right through no questions asked. May be stricter now this was back in 2009 and 2010.

No, but on my upcoming cruise, we made reservations at the Steakhouse on the first night. If you dine there on the first night, you either get a free bottle of house wine, or half off of a better bottle. But from what I gathered in a thread I posted a few days ago...they will let you buy several of the bottle at 50% off...so I plan to do that!

One way to bring more than one bottle of wine per person on Carnival ships is to embark with your allotted bottles, drop them off in your cabin, disembark, go to a wine store/supermarket/drug store, buy more wine, and go through security again.

Another way is to cruise from Europe. We walked onto Vista with six bottles of wine and two bottles of alcohol. We bought more wine and alcohol at our ports and carried those on as well.

Hmmm haven't tried it in several years as we don't drink wine much anymore. However a couple cruises we put two in my carry on and two in my husbands and they went right through no questions asked. May be stricter now this was back in 2009 and 2010.

We've cruised Carnival 8 times since 2014, and have seen many people get their wine confiscated at check-in. Either they brought too many bottles, or their bottles were too big. You have a chance of smuggling with rum runners in your checked luggage, but still not guaranteed.